You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00181 Jul 2008

Jul 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

 It is about time that this Asramam expands and have "Kilai" asramams
so that the sishyas can gather locally to celebrate events like
Acharya ThiruNakshathrams. When you plan the ground floor for the
temple and top floor for human activities please make sure that
people will not be walking on the top of temple or the Asramam area.
K. P. Sarathy

--- In Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, soundararajan desikan
<srikainkarya@...> wrote:

>  Dear Swamin/Mathusri
>
>         Adiyen likes to bring to your kind perusal the
following:--
>      Our Vaishnavism traces the heirarchy of Acharyas (
preceptors) from Sriman Narayanan and Sri Mahalakshmi
>      Then Sri Vishwaksenar,   then Sri Nammazhvar, then
Sriman Nathamunikal, then Sri Alavandhar( Sri Yamunamuni),  and the
Sri Ramanujar. Then descending  down to Swami Desikan( 1268--1369).
Swami Desikan did uncomparable service through  expositions,as well
as numerous literary works. This famous tradition is praised as "
munithraya--sampradaya" because of the contributions by  Sriman
Nathamunigal, Sri Yamuna muni and Sri Ramanuja muni

>   In this line of Acharyas, a bright acharya came. He was called
Sri Thirukkudanthai Desikan
>  Sri Thirukkudanthai Desikan ( Sri Gopalarya  Mahadesikan) was a
very bright star  in Acharya genealogy. He  lived in this world
from 1700 to 1782 A.D. He was ,in many respects, similar to Swami
Sri Vedantha Desika and called as " apara desika"
> He enjoyed the distinction of teaching  three sishyas, that too
Sanyasis,  He commanded such preeminence in qualities characteristic
of a preceptor that the three sanyasi-sishyas came to Him, showed the
reverence and learnt all vecantha works
>  Then they carried  on the propagation  of Sri Desika philosophy
in their own way. This tradition came to be known as " Munithraya"
which acquired rapid siginificance

>    In this line of Acharyas, Sri Poundarikapuram Andavan ( 1847--
1934) came and in His times , He was the most exponent  on
scripyures and Sri Vaishnavism, that too Sri Desika Sampradayam. He
established an Asramam  near Coleroon river( Vada thirukkavei) just
on the northern side of Srirangam

>  Further, in this line, came the great savant Sri Paravakkottai
Andavan( Sri Gopala Desika Maha Desikan). Strictly abiding by the
highest level of austerity that characterises this line of Acharyas,
He confines  himself to the Headquarters Asramam, guiding the
sishyas, abhimanis, in sastraic knowledge and spiritual works (
grantha-chatushtaya). He administers  Pancha-Samskara( Samasrayanam)
and Bharanyasa to persons who go to Him  and seek them, after
ascertaining  whether he  performs nithya karma such as " Sandhya"
etc .
>  With the anugraha of  this great Acharya , the sishyas,
abimanis and other asthikas  have started the construction of
branches of Sri Poundarikapuram Asramam , one at "Bangaluru " and
another one at Chennai ( Thiruneermalai)

> ( Please see attachment)
>
> In Thiruneermalai , this asramam will have ground floor and first
floor
> Ground floor:--temple for Sri Srinivasan with His Consorts, Goddess
Mahalakshmi, SrI Lakshmi Hayagreeva, Sri Sudarsana, besides Azhvars
and Acharyas---rest room for Srimath Andavan  and visitors
with "madappalli". Lecture hall for upanyasam etc

> First floor:-- Mini kalyana Mandapam
>
> It is estimated that it will cost Rs 100 lakhs. The appeal says
that asthikas can tell their commitment to support this kaimkaryam
sothat they get the facility of contribution in instalments sothat
they complete their contribution , say, in three years  before the
end of the year 2010

>  Contributions are exempted from the Income-tax Act
>
>  The contributions may be sent by way of D.D. drawn in favour of"
Srimad Andavan Poundarikapuram Swamy Asramam Trust Srirangam",
addressed to
>  Srikaryam
>  Sri Poundarikapuram Asramam
> 43--A/13, Asramam Road, SRIRANGAM