From: Dr.V.Sadagopan <yennappan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Oppiliappan] question on biographical detail of Tondar-adi-podi AzhwAr
To: Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tiruvenkatam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, srirangasri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Murali Battar Rangaraja" <muralibattar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 30 July, 2008, 6:22 PM

SrIman Sudarsan :

It is good to hear from you .

As you indicated , the encounter with
Deva DEvi is referred to by some accounts
and is rejected by others .

Granting that such an incident took place
in this Naishtika BrahmachAri AzhwAr's life
steeped in bhakthi for Lord RanganAtha ,
we have to remember that he was engaged in
Nandavana Kaimkaryam , when this incident
is said to have happened .

He was engaged in carrying Morning garlands to
Lord Ranganatha and awakening the Lord of the Universe .
It is fair to imagine that the Ranganatha Pativratai AzhwAr
sang ThiruppaLLiyezucchi for SuprabhAtham and woke up
His Lord and offered His MaalA Kaimkaryam .ThiruppaLLiyezucch i
recital in front of the Lord's sannidhi must therefore have been
nithyAnusandhAnam for the AzhwAr
and we are beneficiaries of that nithyAnusandhAnam
even today at Srirangam with the auspicious sound
of VeeNA Naadham .

This Sevai might have been interrupted during His time of
infatuation with Deva Devi , if we concede that such an
event took place . Barring factual references , one has to
make use of ykthi vAdham here .

ThoNDaradipodi AzhwAr was such a VairAgyasAli
and a Naishtika BrahmachAri at that , it is very hard
for AzhwAr abhimAnis to include this colorful inccident
in His life . This incident however has educational value
about the power of Kaamam and the dhivya dampathy's
intervention to set things straight .

In summary , I lean towards the view that these
two Prabhandhams arose from the AzhwAr
before this incident , if it ever took place .

NamO SrI RanganAthAya ,
V.Sadagopan