You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00011 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear Raama BhakthAs:

Today , we will study the DheenAkranthana ( Cry from
the heart in the mood of helplessness) krithi of Saint
ThyagarAja made famous by Late SrI T.R.MahAlingam
(Flutist) and his disciple , SrIman N.Ramani ,
SangItha Kalanidhis Ariyakkudi RaamAnuja Iyengar
and SrI Balamurali Krishna .

Pallavi:
********
EvarimAta vinnAvO,
raavO Indhu lEvO! bhaLi! BhaLi!

(Meaning): Oh Raamachandra! I wonder whose words have
influenced You . Why are You turning away from me?
Won't You come before me? Or are You here at all?
well! Well !

Saint ThyAgarAja is in a dejected mood . He is beginning
to wonder whether some one whispered some thing adverse
about him in to Lord RaamachandrA's ears and the Lord
became prejudiced to turn away from him. The devotee of
the Lord is asking directly a question in anguish:
What happened? Did some one say some thing that made
You neglect/abandon me? Why are You staying away from me ?
I am beginning to wonder whether my cry is outside Your
ear's reach. Are You here at all ? Well! Well! It is not
like You .

Anupallavi:
***********
avanilO nArshEya pourushEya
mandhi chOdhya meruga lEnayya

(Meaning): Although , I have abundant exposure to
SaamAnya and VisEsha Saasthraic knowledge, I have not
been able to unravel Your mysterious deed with their help.
I am simply flabbergasted. I am bewildered to find
the appropriate clues to your "inexplicable" attitude
towards me.

Through these powerful anupallavi vaakyams ," Carnatic
music rises to pinnacles of melody and metaphysics".
The blending of "RasAnubhAva and Saahithya Bhaava" is
at its very best.

Whole gamut of human knowledge is referred to with
the choice of two words:" ArshEya and PourushEya " .

ArshEya stands for the archival knowledge created for
our benefit by ancient Rishis such as Manu (Dharma SaasthrAs) ,
ApAsthampa ( Gruhya SoothrAs), Yaagnavalkya ( Smrithi karthAs),
VyAsa and VaalmIki (IthihAsa-PurANa karthAs),Vasishta ,
VaamadEva , Agasthya and others.

PurushEya stands for those made by men of wisdom
not necessarily in the category of Rishis. These are
wise men and gifted poets of the calibre of KaaLidAsa,
Barthruhari , authors of SubhAshithams ( Nal vAkyamkaL),
dealing with codes of conduct for the righteous et al.

ApourEshayam means not authored by humans (i-e)., VedAs.

Saint ThyagarAja is confining himself to the range of
knowledge created by "supernal seers/ArshEya and
meritorious mortals/PourushEya". He is saying that
he is unable to find anything in the entire gamut of
these archival knowledge that explains the strange
behavior of the Lord towards Him. The saint questions
here the validity of the concept of Bhaktha ParAdhInathvam
of the Lord (the subservience of the Lord to His devotees).

CharaNam:
*********

Bhaktha ParAdheenudanuchu Parama BhAgavathula
vyaktha roopudai palikina mucchaDa yukthamanuchu yuNDi
sakthigala MahAdEvudu nee vani santhOshamuna nunDi
sattha chitthudagu ThyAgarAjanutha!
Sathyasandhudanukonti nilalO

(meaning): I have placed total faith (mahA visvAsam) in
You based on Your declarations that you are in the service
of Your bhakthAs (Bhaktha ParAdheenan /Sonna VaNnam
seytha perumAl/YathOkthakAri).Great BhakthAs blessed
to have the vision of You have attested to Your nature
as that being under the contol of Your BhakthAs (Thirumazhisai
AzhwAr, Bhaktha PrahlAdhan, Thirumangai ). Is that an
empty promise? I have been delighted to know that You are
the Omnipotent Lord , who will protect me and bless me
with Your vision. In Your LeelA VibhUthi , I have been
trusting You as independent minded and that You are
of Satthvic frame of mind rooted in truth. What am
I to believe now ? Who has carried tales about me
to You so that You are indifferent . Whose words
have influenced You against me?

With the liberty that a true Bhakthan can take ,
Saint ThyagarAja questions the Lord tightly .
He observes with a tinge of irony : " I have been
feeling happy that You are the all powerful Supreme
Lord ( sakthi gala MahAdEvuDu neevani santhOshamuna
nunDi)". Oh Lord worshipped and eulogized by
ThyagarAjA! I have been feeling happy and contented
that You are of Satthvic frame of mind ( Sattha
chitthuDagu) and committed to Truth( Sathyasandhan).
What am to believe ? Are You here? Please remove my
bewilderment.Thus laments Saint ThyagarAja in
this moving Krithi out of deep anguish .

V.Sadagopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com