You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00051 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear VedAbhimAnis:

Today , we will study the use of "Kim " in
Selected Rg Vedic Rks. The extended meanings
that would be given by me is based on my personal
anubhavam of these manthrAs .Let us start with
the first manthram:

1)Rg Vedam: IV.5.12
********************
kim nO asya dhraviNam kaddha ratnam
vi nO vOcO jAthavEdas chikithvAn
guhAdhvana: paramam yannO asya
rEku padham na nidhAnA aganma

(Extended Meaning):

Here , the antharyAmi Brahman of Agni is
addressed. He is addressed as the Omniscient
One , who is a knower of all that has been
(created by Him) and exists(protected by Him).
The supplicant throws up his hand in despair over
the aj~nanam that surrounds one in life and asks
the Lord : What is the use and value of all this
(material)wealth to us and what permanent and
beneficial thing do we gain by its acquisition?
Oh Lord , who is the knower of all with
the penetrating vision of the past , present
and future ! You know very well about what is
parama hitham for us & what is Parama purushArTam !
You know what is the best secret (guhyatamam)
for us to follow without obstruction (vignam)
for liberation from the cycles of repeated births
and deaths . You know this direct road instead of
all the bye ways that lead us to travel and suffer
like some one lost in an endless maze. Please bless us
with Your divine wisdom so that we can rush to
the most direct road /upAyam ( like SaraNAgathy at
Your Thiruvadi) and enjoy your divine splendour and
perform nithya kaimkaryam in Your supreme abode to You.

The echo for this prayer is heard in another Rg rk(V.78.4)
in the form of a response :

It says: When a sagacious and fortunate one escapes
with Your limitless DayA from the dark and forbidding
cave of nescience and entreats You as UpEyam , like
a wailing woman seeking protection of her Master,
You rush to that person with the rapidity of a falcon
(on the divine falcon like at the time You rushed
to the lotus pond , when GajEndran called for you
and addressed You as Aadhimoolam).

This is "the Kim " that the Vedam salutes !

Speaking of that " Kim " another Rg Vedic Rk
starting with "KIM" sums up in the second paadham
this way:

" nahee nv-asya pratimAnam asty antar jAthEshutha
yE janithvA:" --Rg Vedam : IV.18.4

The nature of the Lord as Parama Purushan
with none equal to or better than Him is
referred to here as the "Kim". He is the Supreme Being
(Para Devathai), who is the one that commands
all (niyanthA) and is the Master of all. He is
the SamAnAdhika Daridhran. There is none that
exceeds Him or equals Him in any aspect .
He is the Para Tatthvam , UpAyam and Phalan.
When a Prapannan approaches Him in a state of
ananya Gathithvam , he gets the MokshAnugraham
directly from Him without the help of any other
DevathA , who are after all HIs vassals.

This portion of the Veda Manthram is one about
Paratatthva Nishkarsham ( determination of
the Supermacy of that KIM sabdhAnuvAchyan.

Rg Veda manthram IV.35.4
*************************

This is a prayer to the Lord saluting His mysterious
power and also an upadEsam for us to enjoy the nectar
of Bhagavath anubhavam :

KIMmaya: svic camasaa yEsha aasa yamm
kAvyEna chathurO vichakra
aTA sunudhvam savanam madhAya
pAtha ribhavO madhuna: sOmyasya

Extended Meaning: Cosmic creation and activities
of the Lord is referred to here. The Saadhakan addresses
the Lord (Kim) in wonderment: "What sort of universally
spanning ladle did You apply with Your art and
wisdom and used it deftly in a fourfold motion
to engage in Your activities of creating the Universe
and its beings from Moola Prakruthi? "

The four fold motion has been intrepreted by commentators
as " downwards, upwards, transverse and straight(adha Urdhvam
tiryak samagathi yuktham "}. Four really stands for
countless ways in which He performs His leelais.

We will study additional manthrams with "Kim "
sabdham incorporated in them in our next posting.

SrImath Azhagiya Singar ThiruvadigLE SaraNam ,
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list