You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Mar 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00071 Mar 2006

Mar 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
Dearest All,

Today Massi Punarvasu is the Birthday
(Thirunakshathram) of
KulasekarAzhwAr.

It is ourdelight and Bhagaym to meditate on him and
enjoy a couple of verses from his Mukunda mala for our
enjoyment and pay our obeisance to the Great AzhwAr.

krishNa tvadheeya padha pankaja pancharaantham
adhyaiva mE visathu maanasa raaja hamsa:/
praaNa prayaaNa samayE kapa vaadha pitthai:
kaNTavarOdhanavidhou smaraNam kuthasthE?//

(adiyEn's free translation)Oh KrishnA! At this moment,
at this spot of time, in my life, let the swan of my
manas (mind), enter the Lotus Feet of Yours.. How can
I remember You at the dying moment when my thorat is
choked with phlegm (and emotions), mucus, bile and air
(gasping..)

namaami nArAyaNa paadha pankajam/
karOmi nArAyaNa poojanam sadhA/
vadaami nArAyaNa naama nirmalam/
smaraami nArAyaNam tattvam avyayam/

At every moment, I bow down to the Lotus Feet of
Narayanan; I perform worship to Narayana; I recite the
purest Divine Name of Narayana; and I reflect upon the
Greatest truth of Narayana.

[Extract From Sri Anbil Ramaswamy?s article:]
He composed the divine 105 verses called " Perumal
Tirumozhi"- a classic example of the yearning of a
Bhakta to serve the Lord. Every single verse of the
105 verses of this work is so filled with touching
emotion and packed with palpable sentiments that even
a cursory reading is sure to bring tears flowing from
one's eyes and leave an indelible impression in one's
mind.

Distributed in 10 decads, each one vividly portrays a
different facet of Alwar's experience of the Lord as
shown below : -

DECAD 1 : Alwar expresses his yearnings to do service
to Lord Ranganatha and the Bhaagavatas. He asks-

" When ! O! When am I going to enjoy the sight of the
Lord who reclines on the serpent couch at Srirangam?
' Kanninaigal Enru kolo Kalikkum Naale?'
When! O! When  am I going to offer mouthful of praise
of the Lord?
' Vaayaara Enru kolo Vaazhthum Naale?'
When O! When would I be blessed with the company of
Bhagavatas?
" Adiyavarodu Enru kolo Anugum Naale?'
When!O!Whenam I going to shower flowers at his feet?
"Kaikal Koi malar Thoo Enru kolo Kooppu Naale?'
When! O! When am I going to bow my head at the foot of
the Lord?
" Malar Chenni Enru kolo Vanangum Naale?'
When O! When am  I going to develop the amount of
Bhakti that would melt my heart?
'Ullam Miga Enru kolo Urugum Naale?'
When ! O! When my eyes are going to shed tears of joy
on seeing the form of the Lord?
'Neer Malga Enru kolo Nirkum Naale?'
When! O! When am I, the worst sinner, going to redeem
my life?
' Vul Vinaiyen Enru kolo Vaazhum Naale?'
When! O! When am I going to roll on the ground
sanctified by the Lord's
presence?' Bhoothalattil Enru kolo Puralum Naale?'
When! O! When am I going to reach the proximity of the
great Adiyaars of the Lord? ' Isaindu Udane Enru kolo
Irukkum Naale?'

DECAD 2 : He expresses his dedication to Bhagavatas.
In verse 9, he declares that those who are overwhelmed
by the joy of serving the servants of the Lord are not
insane: It is only the others who are insane. '
Pitharaam Avar Pithar Allarkal / Matraiyar Mutrum
Pithare /

Decad 3 : He avers that the act of shunning worldly
pleasures and adhering to the feet of the Lord is the
ONLY REAL duty one has.
In Verse 8, he repeats the same sentiments as above .
He says -

I may appear crazy for others but it is they who are
really crazy. Yes! I am madly in love with my Lord!'

Peyare Yenakku Yaavarum - Yaanum Oru Peyane /
Evarkkum Idhu Pesi Yen? - Aayane! Arangaa! /
Enru Azhaikkinren ! - Peyanaai Ozhinden /
Empiraanukke /

DECAD 4 : In this,  he expresses his longing to be
associated with
Tiruvenkadam- the abode of Lord Venkateswara  in any
capacity- whether as an animate being or even as  an
inanimate object.

 " Can I be born ?" he asks as a kurugu bird in the
forest , or as a fish in the pond, or a temple vessel,
or a flower at his feet, or even a pillar, or aflowing
rivulet, or as a rock or  even as a stepping stone
leading to the innermost sanctum sanctorum in the
temple of the Lord  on which the Bhaktas would place
their holy feet- all in the sacred Tiruvenkadam? It
can be seen that such a step in every Vishnu  temple
is called as "KULASEKARAP PADI"- the ' KULASEKARA
STEP'

DECAD 5 : In this, he addresses the Lord of
TiruVittuvakkodu saying that even if the Lord were to
forsake him, he will never ever leave him and he has
no other refuge. This he expresses  drawing different
parallels:-

"Like a child that clings on to the feet of the mother
even when she spurns it indignantly;
Like a Pativrata who holds on to her husband
steadfastly even if he is of a despicable character;
Like the fish that stays even at the risk of death
when the waters in the tank gets dried up  (having
nowhere to go);
Like a patient who loves the surgeon even though he
cuts and burns his flesh (during surgery);
Like the seagull that perches on the mast of a ship
flies all over in the mid ocean  only to return to
rest on it (having no other go);
Like the lotus flower that does not blossom by the
heat of even fire but blosssoms only to Sunshine:
Like the fields that though parched always look up to
the rain bearing clouds for succor;
Like the torrential  flowing rivers  that ultimately
merge only in the Ocean  and nowhere else and
Like fortune that favors only that person who is not
after it - I will
forever resort ONLY to your feet"

DECAD 6 : Here, he simulates the despair and
disappointment experienced by the Gopis when Lord
Krishna does not turn up as promised.

DECAD 7 : This is one of the most heart rending
portions of the poem. Here he imagines himself as
Devaki. Devaki laments that even though she gave birth
to Krishna she missed the joy of witnessing Krishna's
childhood pranks. " I am your mother only in name; How
unfortunate am I ? I did not put you in the cradle; I
did not sing any lullaby to you; I did not enjoy
seeing the various stages of your growth from babyhood
 to childhood to boyhood; I lost my pleasure of breast
feeding you; I am so unfortunate to have missed all
these. But, Lo! and Behold! What was my loss became
Yasoda's gain!. How fortunate she has been to see your
pretending to be afraid of her?"

Azhugaiyum Anji Nokkum An Nokkum /
Ani kol Sen siru Vai Nelippaduvum /
Thozhugaiyum Ivai Kanda Yasodai /
Tollai Inbatthu Irudhi Kandaale"

He calls Yasoda ' Deiva Nangai" - the divine damsel.
He pleads  to the Lord on behalf of Devaki tearfully "
If possible, can you reenact all these for my sake?"

DECAD 8 : Here,  the Alwar simulates Kausalya and
describes the joy she
experienced in rearing Sri Rama in his childhood. The
cradle song to baby Rama " Mannu pugazh Kauasalai
thun" is very touching. and is being sung almost in
all households as a lullaby.

DECAD 9 : Here is another heart rending episode. Here,
the Alwar simulates the grief of Dasaratha on his
banishing Sri Rama to exile.   As  Dasaratha, he
visualizes how Sri Rama had unjustly been subjected to
the hard and harsh life of a wandering ascetic when he
should have been ruling Ayodhya in the cozy comfort in
all his  royal regalia. He curses himself bitterly,
curses Kaikeyi who induced him and finally he curses
Kooni who influenced Kaikeyi - setting forth the chain
of misfortunes and finally says " O! Rama! I will also
leave the Ayodhya which you left; Nay, I will even
quit this world and go to the other world never to
return"

DECAD 10 : Sage Valmiki elaborately dwelt with the
story of Sri Rama in his Srimad Ramayana. Here, the
Alwar addresses the Lord in the Tiruchitrakoodam
(Chidambaram) and gives a condensed version of the
entire epic  in just 11 verses.

THANIANS ON PERUMAAL TIRUMOZHI

1. Composed by Emperumaanaar [Ramanuja]

Innamudham Oottugen Inge Vaa Pain Kiliye /
Tenn Arangam Paada vulla Seer Perumaal - Ponnan /
Silai Ser Nudhaliar vel Seralar Kone - Engal /
Kulasekaran Enre Kooru /

" O! Green hued parrot! Come hither ! I will give you
some sweet nectar!. You should always mutter the name
of Kulasekara- who composed the sweet poem on the
auspicious qualities of Lord Ranganatha lying in the
South direction at Srirangam; who is the darling of
beautiful damsels with bow - like eyebrows; who is the
King of Chera kingdom; who is a great Prapanna and who
is our crown jewel"

2  Composed by Manakkaal Nambi

Aaram Kedap Paran Anbar Kollaar Enru - Avargalukke /
Vaaran Kodu Kudap Paambir Kai Ittavan - Maatralarai /
Veeram Kedutha Senkol Kolli Kaavalan Villavar Kone /
Seran Kulasekaran Mudi Vendhar Sikaamaniye /

"Kulasekara is the one who put his hand boldly into
the pot containing the deadly King Cobra in order to
vindicate the innocence of the Srivaishnavas when they
were accused (by his ministers) of stealing the
precious pearl necklace; Kulasekara is the one who
vanquished the valour of his enemies; He was the king
of Kolli; he was the Emperor of other kings: the very
gem of the Chera dynasty; the very crown of the
crowned monarchs"

DIVYA DESAMS CONSECRATED BY KULASEKARA ALWAR
1.Tiruvarangam
2.Tiruk Kanna Puram
3.Tiru Chitra Koodam
4.Tiru Vittuvak Kodu
5.Tiru Venkadam
6.Tiru Ayodhya
7.Tirup Paar Kadal.

Kulasekara perumAL ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/XUWolB/TM