You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - May 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00037 May 2006

May 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Ramanujaya namah:
Dearest all,

This is the most wonderful set of 108 sweet tamil
verses sung by Thiruvarangatthu amudhanAr [sishya of
KooratthAzhwAn- and also a contemporary of Sri
Ramanujacharya. ] These 108 verses are considered as
part of 4000 verses ? those of 12 AzhwArs.

Let us look at how these verses add upto to 4000.
Let us end this post with the invocatory verses on
AmudhanAr [thaniyans on Iraamanusa nOORRanthAthi]
[from Sri Sadagopan Swami?s write up]

There are four Taniyans for IrAmAnusa nooRRandhAthi
attributed to Vedhap PirAn Bhattar,  SOmAsi ANDAn and
another author. We will salute AmudanAr through these
invocatory paasurams (Taniyans) and then cover the
charithram of AmudanAr,  the contemporary of AchArya
RaamAnujA.. before enjoying the individual verses of
nooRRanthAthi

Taniyan 1 by Vedhap PirAn Bhattar:

munaani vinai ahala Moonkirkkudiyamudhan,
ponnang kazhark kamalap pOthiraNDum--yennudaya
sennik kaNiyAhac chErthinEn, tennpulatthArkk-
kennaik kadavudayEn yann

(Meaning): All of adiyEn's ancient paapams have been
banished with the smaraNam of the sacred feet of
AmudhanAr. He was born in the village of Moonkirkkudi.
His sacred feet are the most desirable and lovely like
the lotus flower. AdiyEn is wearing them as the
aabharaNam for my head. How can adiyEn become the
target now of the Yama kinkarAs and their tortures ?
No way.

Taniyan 2 by Vedhap PirAn Bhattar:

nayam taru pErinbhamellAm pazhuthenRu naNNInar paal
sayam taru keerthi RaamAnusa Muni thALiNai mEl
Uyarntha guNatthut ThiruvarangatthamudhOnkumanbAl
iyampum KalitthuRaiyandhAthi Odha visai nenjamE

(Meaning): Here,  the prayer is to one's nenju to
agree to recite the sacred prabhnadham of IrAmAnusa
nooRRandhAthi of AmudhanAr.

EmperumAnAr is the glorious One,  who blesses us with
victory over the afflictions of SamsAram, once we seek
His sacred feet as refuge after clearly recognizing
that the material pleasures are evanescent and
ephemeral. Oh My mind, Please agree to recite the
Prabhandham of AmudhanAr set in kalitthuRai metre in
the form of an andhAthi;
AmudhanAr's dhivya prabhndham originated from his
saraNAgathi with MahA visvAsam at the sacred feet of
RaamAnujar and the love that flowed from that sacred
rite taking the shape of RaamAnuja
nooRRandhAthi is for our ujjeevanam.

Taniyan 3 by SOmAsi ANDAn :

sollin thohai koNDu unathadip pOthukkut thoNDu seyum
nallanbharEtthum unn naamamelAm yenRan naavinuLLE
allum pahalum amarumpaDi nalhu aRu samayam
vellum Parama, IrAmAnusa! ithenn viNNappamE

(Meaning): Here SOmAsi ANDAn wishes his tongue to
recite the TirunAmams of IrAmAnusan eulogized by His
adiyArs.

Oh RaamAnujA,  who has the glory of winning over the
six darsanams and demonstrated that they are no match
to Sri VaisNava darsanam ! This is my prayer to You !
May Your ThirunAmams celebrated by your adiyArs in
their paasurams stay on my tongue day and night for my
enjoyment and ujeevanam.

Taniyan 4 used in mElnAttu Thiruppathis:

iniyenn kuRai namakkemperumAnAr ThirunAmatthAl
  muni tanatha nooRRettu SAAVITHRI  yennu nuNNporuLai
kani tantha senjcholl KalithuraiyandhAthi
paaDithanthAn punithan ThiruvarangatthamuthAhiya
PuNNiyanE

(meaning): We have nothing missing in our lives, now
that we have the prapanna Saavithri -- the 108
pasurams of RaamAnuja nooRRandhAthi celebrating our
AchAryan's sacred name set in kalitthurai andhAthi,
blessed by the puNya moorthi, ThiruvarangatthamudanAr.
Meditating on the deep meanings of this Prabhandham,
we do not have any more wants in this world.  We do
not lack any thing.

Achaarya saarvabhouman SrI Bhaashyakaarar
ThiruvaDigaLE saraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dasan