You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - May 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00079 May 2006

May 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Post 2
Dear srivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We saw in previous post that ithe samudhra raajan [or varuNan for
kamban] addressed raama with anjali hastham ? kooppiya kai ? the
hands posture of saying vaNakkam in tamil ? and not seeking asylum.
In fact it is the other way ? raamaa was advised to surrender to the
ocean king and seek [not ask or command] his permission to build a
bridge or some such thing so that raama and his army of monkeys can
cross. So just let us go back and see more on this raama surrendering.

Towards the end of sundhara kaaNdam [precisely in 65 to 68 sargams]
hanumaan   describes to raama in detail,
§       the meeting of seethaa,
§       her "two months only I will live condition",
§       her choodamaNi giving as a mark of identification of having
met her,
hanumaan's going and coming back etc.

At the start of yudhdha kaaNdam raama expresses his apprehension in
how to cross the ocean with these vaanara sainyam the army of
monkeys. Immediately sugreeva suggests "you will build a sEthu ?
bridge in the ocean and through that we can cross". [ref slokam 8
sargam 2 yudhdha kaaNdam ? in another book it is 11th slokam]. So the
idea of building bridge is done at kishkindhaa itself, when raama has
not yet seen the ocean or reached the shores of ocean.

Later after reaching the shores, and after vibheeshaNa joined raama,
lakshmaNa and sugreeva asks vibheeshaNa "how to cross this ocean,
what is your suggestion?" For that vibheeshaNa says "let raama
surrender to ocean, Let the ocean help in raama's action [of getting
back seethaa] realizing raamaa's forefather's action in creating the
ocean ? as a sort of prathi upakaaram ? repaying the debt". Slokam is
clear -

"samudhram raaghavO raajaa saraNam ganthum arhathi ? 6-33-21.

As per this raama did that surrender and did upaasanai of the ocean.

Sa thriraathrOshitha: thathra nayagnO dharmavathsala: |
upaasatha thadhaa raama: saagaram sarithaam pathim|| 6-21-11
meaning: for three nights [days] the observer of dharma that raaghava
did penance towards the ocean king in that place as per rules.

Even after three days of raamaa's upaasanai, the ocean did not appear
on the scene. He appeared after one arrow was shot, and said to that
angry raama ?
"I cannot change my nature and I cannot be subdued by fear nor by
desire etc" - Ocean king continues his talking to raama.
[indirectly this means the threat of raama is not going to have an
effect on me].

[Slokams 23, 24 of ocean king's words were seen in post 1]

pruthvee vaayur aakaasam aapO jyOthi: cha raaghava: |
svabhaavE soumya thishTanthi saasvatham maargam aasrithaa: || 6-22-25

soumya raaghava = O, beloved Raama!
prithvee = earth
vaayu: = wind
aakaasam = ether
aapa: = water
jyOthi: cha = and light
thishTanthi = remain fixed
svabhaavE = in their own nature
aashrithaa: = taking refuge
saasvatham maargam = in an eternal path.

Meaning: O, beloved Raama! Earth, wind ether, water and light remain
fixed in their own nature, resorting to their eternal path."

thath svabhaavO mama api Esha yadh agaadhO~ aham aplava: |
vikaaras thu bhavEdh gaadhathath thE pravadhaamyaham || 6-22-26

thath = hence
aham = I
agaadha: = am fathomless
mama api = and my
svaabhava: = nature
Esha: = is this
aplava: ithi = being impossible of being swum across
yath bhavEth = which becomes
vikaara: = unnatural;
gaadhathu = If I am shallow
pravadhaami = I am telling
thE = you;
Ethath = this (the following device to cross me).

Meaning: Therefore, I am fathomless and my nature is that it is
impossible of being swum across. It becomes unnatural if I am
shallow. I am telling you the following device to cross me."

na kaamaan na cha lObhaadh vaa na bhayaath paarthiva aathmaja |
raagaan nakraakula jalam sthambhayEyam kathamchana || 6-22-27

paarthiva aathmaja = O, prince!
na kaamaath = neither from desire
lObhaath vaa = nor ambition
bhayaath = nor fear
na raagaath = nor from affection
sthambhayeyam = I am able to solidify
nakraakula jalam = my waters inhabited by alligators.
kathamchana = ever

Meaning: O, prince! Neither from desire nor ambition nor fear nor
from affection, I am ever able to solidify my waters inhabited by
alligators."

Point here is ? Ocean king says - hey I cannot change my basic
nature. Then the ocean king says ? may be as a sort of concession -

vidhaasyE yEna ganthaasi vishahishyE hi aham thathaa |
na graahaa vidhamishyanthi yaavathsEnaa tharishyathi || 6-22-28
hareeNaam tharaNe raama karishyaami yathaa sthalam |

raama = O, Rama!
aham = I;
karishyaami = will make it possible;
thathaa yena = in that manner by which;
ganthaasi = you can go;
yathaa thathaa = in every way;
karishyaami = I will arrange;
sthalam = a place;
hariNaam = for the monkeys;
tharaNE = to cross me;
vishaahishyE = and bear with it;
yaavath = as far as;
sEnaa = the army;
tharishyathi = crosses me;
graahaa: = the crocodiles;
na vidhamishyanthi = will not be aggressive.

Meaning: O, Rama! I shall make it possible to see that you are able
to cross over. I will arrange a place for the monkeys to cross me and
bear with it. As far as the army crosses me, the crocodiles will not
be aggressive to them."

Dear bhakthaas, perhaps you have to wait till next post how the
question of Ms. Jyothsna on capability of seetha is linked with the
above.

Dhasan
Vasudevan m.g.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM