You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - May 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00097 May 2006

May 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

This  reminds one of the krti by Thyagaraja ' Maajaanaki' where he says why
seetha did not destroy Ravana even thiugh she was quite capable ' srinaayaka
yasamu neeke galga seyaledha',that is she wanted to give the clory to Rama for
killing Ravana, which was the idea expressed in Sundarakanda, though not in so
many words as our worthy member has quoted.
  Saroja Ramanujam

"B.Senthil kumar" <b_senthil2002@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Dear BhagavathAs,

as for as adiyen, considering the question of Ms. Jyothsna on
our Sitr pirAtiyArs' capability:
"
why did not Seetha kill Ravana for the deed he did? Is she not as
powerful as Satyabhama? Or is she also afraid to face Ravana? What are
the reasons why she could not save herself and reach her Lord feet
Shri Ramachandra*? "

Here sitA pirAtiyAr, is the extreme in showing kArunyam towards
jeevAthma. Even when Rama dhoothan Anjaneyan curses the arakikal
who were the gaurds to SitA pirAttiyAr at ashOka vanam, our beloved
mother SitA pirAttiyAr, interrupts Anjaneyar and says "Oh AnjaneyA,
please dont curse these pitiable persons. They are only doing their
duty on behalf of Ravana. They are doing this only to show that
they are slaves to Ravana ( As like Kumbhakarna). Actually they dont
have any intention and they aren't responsible for any happenings!".

Second thing to note is that, even when Ravana often comes and
visits the ashOka vanam to see pirAttiyAr, our mother SitA pirAttiyAr
was pitty on Ravana and says that,

" If YOU DONT WANT TO GET VANISHED
BY the great purushottaman, who is the RESCUER to all those WHO
SURRENDERS AT HIS LOTUS FEET, hand over me immediately to HIM!
Otherwise IT IS SURE THAT, YOU WILL BE PUNISHED WELL BY HIM !!.

This too I AM SAYING TO YOU ATLEAST TO SAVE you from the pApam that
you have DONE by separating me from HIM, WITHOUT KNOWING THE
FUTURE CONSEQUENCE !!! "

Here SitA pirAttiyAr knows that due to kAmA, Ravana lost his Jnanam
which is the unique quality of JeevAthmA, and so advices Ravana and
remembers him about what the mistake he has done to them (divya
thampathis).

Also pirAttiyAr says that " It's the duty of HIM to rescue me from
Ravana, and surely HE will do that by punishing Ravana which adds
quality to HIS characters, and one of HIS kalyAna gunam
(Raavananidamirunthu ennai meetpathe avarukku ugantha seiyal; athuvE
avarukku thagum) " when Anjaneyar presents kanaiyaazhi to pirAttiyAr.
Also, she intimates that " Say to HIM that I am waiting for HIS
act of rescuing me from Ravana".

This clearly shows that she is only waiting for RAMA for the act of
rescue. She dont want herself to use the power and rescue herself
from Ravana, which wont brings fame to her pathi Rama. ALso if one
attempts to rescue themselves, it wont be fruitfull and may ends up
in tragedy. How? Infact here in this, there is *one sootsumam inferred
behind this drama of divya dhampathis! *

Consider Rama as paramAthmA, pirAttiyAr as JeevAthmA, Anjaneyar
as Guru --- This is one team !

Ravana with 10 heads as igaparasugangal that you can get
from this earthly world, which will always try to pull up our
desires, mind and spoils us in all ways. This has the bad quality
of growing like any as the growth of heads of Ravana. NO-STOP! -- THe
second team (Raavana and his associates) !!

Now the war is with both the teams. Here the JeevAthma loses its
Jananam and fell into the trap of kAmA as like pirAttiyAr insists
that she want to have that golden deer, even when the Lord is nearer
to HER! This is like even enjoying by accompanying with paramAthmA,
the jeevAthma has some desire. So the lord leaves the jeevAthma alone
to fulfill it's desire by giving birth into this world as
some living being.

When the Lord left Her(JeevAthma) alone, now the worldly things will
take over the JeevAthmA, as did by the Ravana taking pirAttiyAr as
refuge.

Once caught up into the trap of the samsAric ocean, now its the
jeevAthmA through its jnAnam should not fall into this worldly things
as did by our pirAttiyAr by not paying any attention towards Ravana,
eventhough Ravana is the King and parakiramasALi, and should wait for
paramAthmA to rescue from these deadly samsAric ocean. For rescueing
the jeevathmA from this samsAric ocean, GURU has to be there, who is
creating a LINK between the PARAMATHMA and JEEVATHMA.

Without the GURU, jeevAthma cannot attain salvation or moksham or
reaching paramathma (this is the key point in Vaishnavam).

Here enters, our GURU Anjaneyar. This is point where the Lord Rama
suffers without the presence of our pirAttiyAr, and the same case
with pirAttiyAr also. She also suffers lot without the presence of
HIM!

THIS IS THE SAME WITH JEEVATHMAA(us) also. HE is waiting for, to
rescue us from samsAric ocean and the jeevAthmA also suffers lot
without the paramAthmA. Our AacharyAs(GURU), bringing us close to the
paramAthmA.

Coming to the point again, now as GURU, ANjaneyar enters and makes
both paramAthmA (Lord Raama) and pirAttiyAr (jeevAthmA) feels happy.
With the information from ANjanEyar (GURU), Rama (paramAthmA) moves
to rescue pirAttiyAr (jeevAthmA) from Raavana (samsAric ocean and
other deadlier things). Finally, Raama conquers and wins in retrieving
pirAttiyAr from Raavana. This is like, the jeevAthmA finally attains
moksham by paramAthmA( as HE is upAyam and upEyam for prapatti)
through the help of guru (our AachAryAs!)

Here the pirAttiyAr shows us how to perform prapatti and only with the
help of HIM we can be rescued from the eveil things. By self-
protecting ourselves wont yield good results which may end up in
tragedy as like Raavana wants to protect himself finally in the war
from Raama ("Indru poi naalai vaa") even after the apachAram done by
him.

Hence its the duty of Raama to rescue SitA pirAttiyAr from Raavana.
This was well shown indirectly by our divya dhampathis during
this RaamavathAram. Hence its not good for our pirAttiyAr (and not the
duty also) to kill Raavana, NOR she is afraid, NOR she is uncapable.
This is NOT THE GOOD PLACE where she can show HER power or
capability!!@#@

This only shows HER kArunyam towards HER child. THis only shows how
one (jeevAthma) should surrender at the feet of Lord, till HE comes
and rescue from this samsAric ocean.!!!!

(Adiyen hopes, adiyen didnt made any mistakes. If theres any, please
forgive adiyens writings, and suggest if theres any correction!!!)

ShrImathE RAmAnujAya namaha:
adiyen:
senthil.b

--- In Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M.G.Vasudevan" <mgv@...> wrote:

> Post 1
> Dear srivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,
>
> Even though Ms.Jyothsna asked this question in 2005, I still have
this fresh in my memory and when I get a 'new point' on seethaa's
capability in srimadh raamaayaNam, I shared with all of you. I wrote a
5 part series first time titled 'is she not capable', a 4 part series
second time as a continuation to the first series. Now I begin the
third part and let us see how many parts it takes to conclude. So that
part slokam "seethaayaas charitham mahath" is really very great and
more apt.

> Just to recollect the question. Quote from part 1 of the first
series - Quote - Ms. Jyothsna asked this beautiful question in
raamabhakthi list.
sundarakanda i had a doubt' why did not Seetha kill Ravana for the
deed he did? Is she not as powerful as Satyabhama? Or is she also
afraid to face Ravana? What are the reasons why she could not save
herself and reach her Lord feet Shri Ramachandra*? Regards Jyothsna -
unquote.

> Let us see the Sreemadh raamaayaNam incident of "raama observed a
fast on the shores of ocean on the opposite side of lanka. He wanted
the ocean to allow his team of vaanaraas led by his friend and king
sugreeva and himself, to cross over to lanka to win back seetha, the
beloved wife of raama. Even after three days the ocean king - the
samudhra raajan - did not turn up. Raama was angry and asked lakshmaNa
to bring the bow and arrows, so that he will shoot arrows, which will
dry up the ocean and leave all the ocean born creatures dead, thereby
making it safe for the vaanaraas to crossover to lanka on the ocean
bed easily. When lakshmaNa did as directed by the elder, raama shot an
arrow into the ocean. Before raama could shoot the second arrow to dry
up the ocean, the ocean king appeared accompanied by ganga and sindhu
his two wives [among many the important or main ones]".

> Now let us see a set of slOkams from Srimadh raamaayaNam -
>
> gangaa sindhu pradhaanaabhi aapagaabhi: samaavrutha: |
> dhEvathaanaam saroopaabhi: naanaa roopaabhi: eesvara: || 6-22-23
>
> saagara: samathikramya poorvam aamanthraya veeryavaan |
> abraveeth praanjalir vaakyam raaghavam sara paaNinam || 6-22-24
> [as already written 6 is yudhdha kaaNdam 22 is sargam and 23, 24 are
slOkam numbers]
> saagara: eesvara:= the ocean [who is] the lord of rivers
> samaavrutha: = escorted
> aapagaabhi: = by rivers
> gangaa sindhu pradhaanaabhi: = mainly Ganga and Sindhu
> saroopaabhi: = equal in form
> dhevathaanaam = to deities
> naanaa roopaabhi: = and endowed with diverse forms
> samuprakramya = approached
> raaghavam sarapaaNinam = Rama who stood with arrows in hand
> aamanthraya = addressing as "Raama!'
> praanjali: = with joined palms
> poorvam = first
> abraveeth = spoke
> vaakyam = (the following) words
>
> meaning: The valiant ocean, the lord of rivers, escorted by rivers
mainly the Ganga and Sindhu, endowed with diverse forms resembling
various deities, approached Raama who stood with arrows in hand,
addressing him first as 'Raama!' with joined palms, and spoke the
following words:

> Point: Many a times, it is said the samudhra raajan did surrender to
raama at the shores. There is also a krithi by sri aruNaachala
kaviraayar in his raama naataka keerthanaigaL on this ocean king
episode in raagam asaavEri - we enjoyed the krithi by way of an
article in 3 parts earlier.

> "saraNam saraNam raghu raamaa nee ennai
> thaRkaaththu aruL paranthaamaa  [saraNam]
>
> virikadal vEndhaa un thiruvadi sErntha en
> mEl enna apachaaram aaiyira namaskaaram [saraNam]
>
> maddi meen onROdu onRu mallaadi amar pooNum
> vazhakku theerkkap pOnEn idhaRkO un manam kONum
> ettum reNdum theriyaadha enakku iththanaiyO kaaNum
> enna pizhai seidhaalum neeyE poRuththal vENum  [saraNam]
>
> But the point here is the ocean king did not surrender but did
'anjali' only and after that started talking. This I pointed out
earlier also and that is a variation from vaalmeeki. Similarly kamban
also places that varuNan took asylum or surrendered saying "abayam nin
abayam".

> Perhaps you may ask what is the relationship between is seethaa
capable of killing raavaNa and ocean surrendering to raama or not. You
may have to wait till next post.

> Dhasan
> Vasudevan m.g.
>

> DISCLAIMER:
>   This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee
and is proprietary.Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage
only. Any Use to other than the addressee is misuse and infringement
to Proprietorship of L&T ECC.If you are not the addressee please
return the mail to the sender.L&T ECC DIVISION

                  May god bless you,

                 Dr.  Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM