You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Oct 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00986 Oct 2003

Sri:

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

806. shankhE BhavathyA: suBhagam prathIkam rangEshapAdhAnguLi
sangrahArTham thrANAya pAdhAvani! viShtapAnAmAjnAkarImamguLimudhrikAm
thE

Oh Paaduka! This knob is to keep in position the feet by holding the
fingers. But I surmise it is the index finger held erect to threaten
evil-doers, in terms, such as, "Hey, fellows! Do not do such evils.
If You do, I will punish You", so that the protection of the world
can be ensured.

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes from V.Sadagopan (V.S):

SlOkam 806

1) UtthamUr Swamy' s anubhavam: Oh PaadhukE! Your YanthrikA has taken
a lovely form to grip the toes of Your Lord and stands tall. It
appears like the index finger raised to command the people of the
world to follow the injunctions laid out by Your Lord ". In an
earlier verse , Swamy Desikan suggested that the YantrikA
stands up to announce the Supermacy of the Lord . Here , he states
that the towering YantrikaA is like the index finger that commands
the people to achieve safety and protection through observance of the
Lord's laws .

2) SrImath Andavan's anubhaavm:Oh PaadhukE ! Your YanthrikA reminds
me of the index finger (aaLkAtti viral) that warns people from
commititng Bhagavath-bhAgavatha apachArams and other prohibited acts.
The inner meaning is that the AchAryAs criticize their sishyAs some
times gently and at other times harshly to dissuade them from
committing inauspicious acts and those that are forbidden by the
SaasthrAs of their Lord.

3) Swamy Desikan salutes the YanthrikA as the vital limb of
Paadhukai, which is for holding firmly the fingers on the sacred feet
of the Lord of SrIrangam (RangEsa paadhAnguLi sangrahArTam
BhavathyA: prathikam asthi). I conclude that YanthrikA also serves
the purpose of protecting the world through the symbolism of the
YanthrikA standing in the place of index finger commanding the beings
of the world from desisting from acts forbidden by SaasthrAs(
BhavathyA: prathikam vishtapAnaam thrANAya aajn~Akareem
anguLimudhrikAm sankhE )...(V.S)

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com