You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Aug 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 01139 Aug 2004

SrimatE Gopaladesika MahadesikAya Namaha,

Translation by U.Ve. Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swamin:

964. viviDhaviShayachinthAsanthathABhischiram mAm
        janithakaluShamitTham dhEvi! dhurvAsanABhi:
        padhasarasijayOthvam pAdhukE rangaBharthu:
        parimaLaparivAhaI: pAvanaIrvAsayEThA:

Oh Paaduka Devi! Giving room to a variety of evil thoughts, I have
sullied my heart to the effect of its smelling very bad. May You
please make me one of sweet fragrance, by using the flow of pleasant
smell from the Lotus Feet of Lord Ranganatha!

Namo Narayana,

SriMuralidhara Dasan

Special Notes by V.Sadagopan (V.S):

1) UtthamUr  Swamy's anubhavam:Swamy  Desikan uses the double
meaning of the word "Vaasana " in this slOkam . Vaasana can mean
either fragrance or the impression unconsciously left on One's mind
by past good or bad karmAs , which therefore produce pleasure or
pain (Swamy  Deskan says: " Oh PaadhukE ! Through my KarmAs , I have
been enmeshed in  material things and have accumulated a lot of
sins. You must help me get rid of these unplesant odours by
immersing me in the flood of fragrance originating from Lord
RanganAthA' s lotus feet, which have the capacity to annul the
dhurvAsanAs and sanctify me.

2) In the five slOkams (960-964), Swamy Desikan dwells on the
amangaLams (asubhams/ Inauspicous happenings) that are faced by
those, who seek Moksham ( Mumukshu  PrapannAs ) during their lives
on this earth thru dedicated pursuit of artham ( wealth ) , Kaamam
(sensual pleasures that do not last) and anyAsraYaNam ( seeking
ithara devathAs for Moksham, which they can not give ). These
asubhams arise form the development of taste (ruchi) for SamsAram.
Swamy  Desikan teaches us the need for distaste for such a life and
shows us the way to banish such desires that serve as PrApthi
VirOdham ( Obstacles in the path to attain Moksha Sukham ).

Oh PaadhukE ! From countless time , I have been driven by my poorva
KarmAs to toil in the world of SamsAram and suffer there ( Ref:
Bhagavth GeethA:  Chapter 16 : SlOkams .10 and  11 ) . I am stuck in
Pravrutthi mArgam and far away from nivruthti mArgam . I have become
the embodiment of Vishaya Vaasanais . It is normal in this world to
add fragrant things to those which have unplesant smells to
overpower  the bad smell. In this context , you should
remove my bad habits (SamsAra Ruchi) with links to You , who is
steeped in the anubhavam of ParamAthmA . You should not confine that
anubhavam to Yourself and you should share with me  that anubhava
pravAham (the flow of sweet enjoyment  of the Lord's Thiruvadi) . It
is not possible for you to store all that anubhavam within Yourself.
You must make it possible for  me to share  that Bhagavath
PaadhAravindha anubhavam . That anubhavam will purify me and all the
asubhams of samsAra ruchi will disappear thereafter. If you think
that I will acquire Bhagavath anubhavam after removal of SamsAra
ruchi thru my  efforts, it is impossible to achieve.
Why are you indifferent towards me in this matter? It must be my
prArabhdha Karmams that stand in the way as PrApthi VirOdhis .

3) Oh DEvi PaadhukE ! I have been agitated for a long , long time by
the ceaseless activities of my indhriyams propelling me into a whole
gamut of sensory pleasures anfd causing the accumulation of
Sins ( Vividha vishaya chinthA santhathAbhi: durvasanAbhi:
iTTaam chiram janitha kalusham mAmm ). That is how You
find me shackled to sins and full of blemishes (iTTam kalusham
mAmm) .  It is through Your efforts that the durvAsanAs accumulated
over many janmAs has to be destroyed  by the flood of fragrance
( parimaLa parivAham  ) of  Your Lord RanganAthA's lotus feet
( Rangabharthu: padha sarasijayO: parimaLa parivAhai :
vaasayETA: ).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM