You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00023 Nov 2003

SrI:

Dear Swamy  Desika BhakthAs:

In this posting , adiyEn will cover three Paasurams of Desika
Prabhandham , which are the 52nd ,53rd and the 54th  Paasurams
of AdhikAra Sangraham . These three Paasurams also
cover the content of the 32nd Chapter of SrImath Rahasya
Thraya Saaram ( NigamanAdhikAram).

91) Linking up and Involvement with our Sath-SampradhAyam
Our Sath-SampradhAyam is ancient and free from any blemish.
Those AasathikAs , who have been blessed to belong to this sacred
sampradhAyam wil reach Sathgathi .

The key words of this 91st Paasuram are: " poRai mihum Punithar
kAttum yengaL ponRAtha nal-neRiyil puhuthuvAr " ( Those AasthikAs ,
who with many aathma guNams will enter the auspicous path shown by
our sublimely pure AchAryAs marked by patience and forbearance greater
than BhUmi Devi Herself). These AasthikAs  have the clarity and purity
of mind as a result of following our Sath-SampradhAyam(Sath-sampradhAya
Parisuddha manas).

This paasuram describes the eight unique lakshaNams of these
AdhikAris , who through their links to our hoary and timeless
SampradhAyam keep it dynamic , radiant and eternal:

(1) These AasthIkAs  (AastheekyavAn )will have deep faith
in the meanings of the eternal Vedaas (maRai uraikkum poruL
yellAm mey yenRu OhrvAr) .

(2) They will have sharp intellects to appreciate the subtle meanings
of Tatthva Thrayams (manniya koor mathi udayAr).

(3) They will never be jealous of others.They will be free
from asooyai ( vaNN guNatthil kuRai uraikka ninaivu illAr) .

(4) They will have the distinction of recieving upadEsam about
our Sath-SampradhAyam from SadAchAryAs ( GurukkaL
pAll kOthu aRRa manam peRRAr) .

(5) They will follow only the essential course that our
Sath-SampradhAyam has laid out (nanmai koLvAr) .

(6) They wil be beyond the influence and ways of
the common folk deeply immersed in SamsAric sufferings
( siRai vaLarkkum mAnthar sankEtatthAl sithayAtha
tiNN madhiyOr) .

(7) They will not seek the insignificant phalans sought by
the samsAris and will seek instead the everlasting fruits of
Moksham (terinthathu OhrAr ).

(8) They will follow the golden path laid out and travelled by
our SadAchAryAs known for their matchless forbearance
and be uplifted ( poRai mihum Punithar kAttum yengaL
ponRAtha nall neRiyil puhuthuvAr).

Thanks to them our Sath-SampradhAyam will flourish
without any interruption forever.

The Sanskrit SlOkam quoted in this context of the Paasuram is:

AastheeykavAn nisitha budhdi: anabhyasooyu:
Sath-sampradhAya parisuddhamaNA: SadharTee
SankEtha-bheethi rahitha: thruNEshvasaktha:
Sadh-varthamAneemanuvidhAsyathi Saasvatheem na:

92) The path desscribed by this Prabahndham is the best
This Prabhandham instructs one about Prapatthi mArgam as
the best to follow for our upliftment from SamsAric
sufferings and to gain MOksha Siddhi. Prapatthi is
the key upAyam (Mukhya upAyam ) for Moksham.

The key words associated with this Paasuram are:
" ithu vazhi inn amudhu ;  MaRayOr aruLaal ithu vazhiyA
isainthanam" ( The way of the SadAchAryAs described
in this Prabhandham is the nectarine path. Thanks to
the krupai of the SadAchAryAs , this way has been opened to us
and we have accepted it as the auspicious path for us to follow).

The complete meaning of this Paasuram celebrating
the Vaibhavam of Prapatthi mArgam taught by our
noble AchAryAs is : We pushed aside the pursuit of
trivia practised by the samsAris as not befitting our
Svaroopam as instructed by our AchAryas. We became
thoroughly convinced that the grace of the Lord resulting
from our observance of the most important UpAyam (Prapatthi )
is the cause for Moksham and turned away from other
inconsequentail upAyams .Our AchAryAs instructed us
on this Prapatthi mArgam and willed that this mArgam
should thrive and prosper for ever for our benefit .
Our AchAryAs forgave our belmishes and performed
upadEsam on this nectarine Prapatthi mArgam . We followed
this Prapatthi mArgam as revealed to us by our AchAryAs.

93) Freedom from worries due to the help of Charama SlOkam
We are the ignorant ones , who do not even know that
8+2 is ten (yettum iraNDum aRiyAthavar) .We are
the untutored ignoramus , who do not know about the Manthrams
with 8 aksharams (Yettum ) and Dhvayam (iraNDum ) as well
as the Lord's Charama slOkam . As a  result , we are devoid
of Jn~Anam about Bhagavath Bhakthi and the glory of Parapatthi
mArgam.

Our Lord through His AchAryAs made sure that we the ignorant
ones recieved upadEsam on the esoteric meanings of the three
rahasyams to get us ready to enter His Supreme abode. We reflect
on His charama slOka upadEsam to perform Prapatthi at His
sacred feet to free ourselves from fear about SamsAram and
enjoy worry-free lives here before entering the Lord's abode  .

Swamy  Desikan describes the sacred Charama SlOkam
of Lord Krsihna as " kattu yezhil Vaachakam " ( the strong
and beautiful words) .Our Lord's upadEsam is summed up as :
" vinait-thiraL mutta maaLa muyanRidum " ( Engage in
the observance of Prapatthi to baniish all of Your karma
vargams ). I will stand in the place of all dharmams and
take up Your rakshaNam . Please be freed of  your
worries and fears (anjal yenrAr).Swamy  Desikan
describes SrIvaikuntam , the Supreme abode of the Lord
as " yetta oNNAtha idam " and that Prapatthi will grant
(tarum ) residence at this sTaanam of the Lord that can
not be reached only through the observance of Prapatthi
(or BhakthiyOgam) .Our AchAryAs have recommended for
us , the incompetent adhikAris , Prapatthi yOgam as the esay-to-practise
and sure-to-grant phalan compared to the difficult to observe
Bhakthi yOgam , which takes a long time to yield the phalan of
Moksha sukham.

Swamy  Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

Srimate Sri Laksminrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka
SrivaNN Satakopa Sri Narayana Yatindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/I3w.vC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/XUWolB/TM