You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00045 Nov 2003

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Knowing that Bhattar would not allow this to happen,
his mother Andal would secretly ask for the divine
water from Bhattar's feet and accept it.

A Srivaishnava seeing this asked Andal "Being his
mother, how could you do this - is this not wrong?"

Andal replied "Why is that? Should I accept the
water only from the idol that others worship - why
can't I accept the water from the idol that I
created myself?"

The Srivaishnava asked her "What is the basis for
this?".

Andal replied "Did not Thirumangai Azhvar say
"kaNapuram kaithozhum piLLaiyai piLLai enReNNap
peRuvarE"?

That is, knowledge-filled great devotees, even if
they are one's disciples or children, should be
sought and respected.

Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Sharanam

A Day in the Life of Our Acharyas:
http://www.acharya.org/articles/aditlooa/index.html

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.