You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00149 Nov 2003

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
SrimathE rAmAnujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha
Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Dear bhagavatas,

Meditating on the divine feet of Sri rukmini samEtha Sri Parthasarathi emperuman and the divine grace of asmad Acharyan HH Sri Vanamamalai Jeeyer swamy and the blessings of all the bhagavatas adiyen is venturing into this daring effort to write about the divine work of Sri bhakthisArar (thirumazhisai pirAn), nAnmugan thiruvandhAdhi.  Adiyen wants to take this task as a process of learning and enjoying the greatness and divine anubhavams of the arulicheyal with our poorvacharya vyakhyanams with you all.  Adiyen requests all the learned bhagavatas to correct me wherever necessary and prevent any wrong interpretations spread to many ignorant people like adiyen.  Adiyen?s writeup will be based on periyavAchAn pillai?s vyakhyanam, Appilai?s vyakhyanam and the simple divya prabhandha sAra vyakhyanam written by Sri Krishnaswamy iyengar (sudarsanar).

In this posting we will start with the thaniyan to nanmugan thiruvandhAdhi.

?athivAdhee bhava? (argue that the paramapurushan is superior) orders the vedas.  That is what all our Azhvars did.  But unfortunately the statements of the Azhvars, including nammazhvar were not consistent.  In some places they gave room to doubts though their basic intention was only to prove the parathvam of Sriman Narayanan.  Though nammAzhvar established his matham in ?ondrum devu? (ThiruvAimozhi(Tv) 4-10) still kudrishtis pointed only to ?muniyE nAnmuganE? (Tv-10-10-1)?ariyai ayanai aranai alattri? (Tv-10-10-11) and similar verses and started writing books on ?satakOpan samarasam? ?Azhvar samarasam? etc.  The same is the case with mudal Azhvars, though they clearly stated ?ammoovarullum mudalAvAn moorineervannan? (mudal thiru-15) ?mAmalarAn vArsadayAn endrivarkatku eNNaththAnAmO emai? (moondram thiru ?97) still the well spread verses are ?thAzhsadaiyum neelmudiyum?thirumalai mEl endhaikku eranduruvum ondrAi esaindhu? (moondram thiru-63) but our thirumazhisai azhvar, praised as uraiyilidAdhavar gives no room for such arguments.  No were in his prabhandam can there arise any query about the parathvam of Sriman Narayanan.

Thaniyan

?nArAyanan padaiththAn nAn mugamAi, nAnmuganukku
 A-rAr sivan pirandhAn ennum sol- seerAr
 mozhi seppi vAzhalAm nenjamE, moipoo
 mazhisai paranadiyE vAzhththu?

As you all already know thaniyan is a ?thani padal? that is a paasuram that does not belong to the prabhandam but it is chanted before chanting the prabhandam in order to praise the greatness of either the prabhandam or the author of the prabhandam.  Due to his divine grace on us Sri pillailokam jeeyer (grand son of Sri pattarbiran jeeyer, one of the ashtadiggajas of Swamy Manavala mAmunikal) has rendered commentaries for all the thaniyans in nalayira divya prabhandam.  We will thereby enjoy the meaning of this thaniyan also based on his vyakhyanam.

This thaniyan was authored by the second son of Sri KoorathAzhvan, a very close disciple of swamy EmperumAnAr, and the younger brother of Sri Parasara bhattar, Sri veda vyasa bhattar alias Srirama pillai.  In this thaniyan, Sri Veda vyasa bhattar instructs his heart, ?Oh! My heart let us chant this prabhandam of bhakthisArar, which explains in detail about the greatness and superiority of emperuman and get uplifted.  For that first of all you do mangalAsAsanams to the divine feet of that great thirumazhisai Azhvar?.

(To be continued)

Alwar EmperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharanam

Adiyen rAmAnuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now