You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00165 Nov 2003

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
SrimathE rAmAnujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha
Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

PAASURAM-1

In this first paasuram in his divine nAnmugan thiruvandhAdhi, Sri Thirumazhisai Azhvar first explains how both Sivan and his father Brahma are also included into the category of mortal souls according to the vedas.  Both Sivan and Brahma were created to help in strongly establishing wordly activities of creation and destruction.  ?But Oh! My fellow beings now I will advise you the right way to get out of this cycle of life and death.  So listen to me and get uplifted,? instructs azhvar.

 ?nAnmuganai nArAyaNan padaiththAn, nAnmuganum
  thAnmugamAi sankaranai thAnpadaiththAn-yAnmugamAi
  andhAdhi mElittu ariviththEn Azhporulai
  sindhAmal koNmin neer thErindhu?

VyAkhyAnam

(nAnmuganai nArAyaNAn padaiththAn)  Emperuman gets the name nArAyaNan due to the following reasons: 1) He is the place of existence for all those things which are categorized under the name ?nArangal? (the ever existing things)-sarvadhArakan 2) He lives in all those things under the ?nAra? category-sarvavyApi 3) Moreover he remains as the prApyam (that which has to be attained) and prapagam (that which is the way) for all the jeevas under the ?nAra? category.  This divine name nArAyaNan thereby suits only that paramAthmA who is the ultimate god (sarvEshvaran).  This nArAyanan, created nAnmugan (one who has four faces) alias Brahma (lord of creation), to do the act of creation in all the four directions.  Emperuman blessed him with four faces to simultanesously chant all the four Vedas that will assist him in creation.  With this it is clear that Brahma is also a created soul who has been bestowed upon with the job of creation.

(nAnmuganum thAnmugamAi sankaranai thAn padaiththAn)  That brahma took the prime role and created sankaran (Siva).  After getting the vedas from emperuman Brahma started his creation job or in otherwords, narAyaNan created Siva remaining as the antharyAmi of Brahma.  It is also said that siva was born from the forehead of brahma.

(yAnmugamAi andhAdhi mEl ittu ariviththEn Azh porulai)  Brahma does the work of creation to put the souls into this world of miseries.  Though no one asked me for advise still due to mercy on the poor souls who are put to utmost misery in this world I am now going to tell you all the right way to get out of this. (andhAdhi mElittu ariviththEn) Like inscribing the words in copper or on a rock I am now going to put my views in this prabhandam that is made in ?AndhAdhi thodai? (a type of poetic structure in Tamil Literature).  (Azhporulai ariviththEn)  I am going to bring to light the gems that have been submerged in the ocean of sruthis and smrithis for the benefit of the suffering jeevatmas.  (Azhporulai andhAdhi mElittu ariviththEn) like making a beautiful ornament studded with precious gems. (Azhporulai) can also mean, ?that which is going to sink?.  Since at the very start azhvar has declared that Brahma and Sivan were created by narAyaNan then it is for sure that they are not immortal.

(neer thErindhu sindhAmal koNmin) you are all blessed with senses to think.  So think and understand the inferiority of these worldly pleasures and know the greatness of what I want to convey.  Just don?t ignore my words and let it to go wasted instead think, analyze and understand.  Try to understand how expensive are the gems that I want to donate to you all.  In this way azhvar literally begs us to understand the great meanings he wants to give us.  ?pAlkudikka kAlpidippArai pOlE? (Is it necessary for anyone to fall into one?s feet to make him drink the delicious milk?)

 (To be continued)

Alwar EmperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharanam

Adiyen rAmAnuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now