You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00208 Nov 2003

Post 3

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,
We now continue on the second buffet lunch of krishna. Second time, when his
friends wanted some thing to eat while grazing the cows, calves, in the forest,
krishNa sent them to get food from the nearby village where some brahmins were
conducting the yagnam. The brahmin priests refused the food. But their wives
gave the food as offering to the Supreme Lord krishNa for they had the great
deeds of child krishNa. Krishna blessed these ladies. Then these brahmins also
realised their mistake. That is described very nicely in sargam 23 of dhasama
skandham in srimadh bhagavatham. An approximate translation reads as follows:
The gOpaas said: 'raama, O raama, O mighty-armed one, O Krishna, destroyer of
the wicked, this hunger is troubling us, something should be done to appease
it.'
Sri sukar the maharshi said: Thus informed by the gOpaas, krishNa, the son of
dhEvaki, wishing to satisfy some brahmin wives devoted to Him spoke the
following. 'Please go to the sacrificial arena of the brahmins, who are now
performing a sacrifice named aangirasa, desiring heaven, as per vEdhic
injunction. Going there, dear gOpaas, ask for food, telling them that you've
been sent by my elder brother raamaa, and also in my name.'
With this order of krishNa, they, going there, asked as was told, petitioning
with folded hands, fallen down like sticks to the ground, before the brahmins.
'O earthly gods, all good to you. We have arrived here, you must understand,
are sent by raama, following the orders of krishna, please listen.
O finest knowers of the religion, raama and achyutha graze their cows not far
from here, and being hungry, they ask you to supply them with food. O
twice-born, if you have any faith, then please donate food. From the beginning
of a sacrifice until the end of sacrificing the animal, O lovers of the truth,
except for when it is a [Sautraamani] sacrifice to Indhra, it is not an offense
to enjoy [or hand out] food.
Thus hearing the supplication of krishNa, they, in trivial pursuit, foolishly
thinking to know better with their ritualistic activities, did not take heed.
Though in essence,
*       the place and time,
*       the items used,
*       the hymns,
*       the rituals,
*       the priests and the fire,
*       the godly presiding priest,
*       the performer of the sacrifice,
*       the performance
*       its dharmic result
all make up the directly visible of the absolute truth of him, krishNa, beyond
the senses, they saw Him in their borrowed intelligence as an ordinary person.
Sukar continued- O chastiser of the enemies, with them not even getting a "yes
or no" either, the gOpaas thus discouraged, returned back to inform krishna and
raama about it. Hearing that krishNa laughed, and addressed the gOpaas, to show
them the ways of the world: 'Communicate to the wives that I, together with
sankarshaNa, have arrived; they will give you all the desired food, as they
with their intelligence reside in affection with Me.'
Going then to the houses of these wives, the gOpaas bowed to them, saw them
sitting there nicely ornamented. With reverence to these chaste women of the
twice borns, the gOpaas said humbly: 'Salutations to you, O wives of the
learned ones, please hear our words. Not far from here, we roam with Krishna.
He sent us here. Tending the cows with the gopas and rama, he came a long way.
KrishNa with his companions are hungry, should be given food by you.'
When they heard this, they showed a lot of excitement that Krishna was nearby.
With their minds enchanted by His stories, they were always eager to see him.
Like rivers flowing towards the ocean, the four types of edibles [chewed,
sucked, licked and drunk] in all tastes, the food was brought, and given in
vessels to their all beloved. Though their husbands, brothers, sons and other
relatives didn't want to think about it, they directed themselves to krishNa.
Having heard and longed for him for so long, praised in the scriptures, that
krishNa was spotted by these ladies wandering with the gopas and His elder
brother in a grove, beautiful with blooming asOkaas near the yamunaa.

KrishNa was dressed like a dancer on a stage,
*       With His dark complexion,
*       golden garment,
*       garland of forest flowers,
*       peacock feather,
*       colored minerals,
*       sprigs of buds,
*       with His hand over a friend's shoulder
*       with the other twirling a lotus,
*       smiling with His lotus face,
*       His hair over His cheeks
*       lilies behind His ears.
[dear bhakthaas, here do you get a picture of the thazhaigaLum thongalum of
periyaazhvaar after grazing krishNa returning home- with same one hand over the
shoulders of another gopa etc]
Sukhar said: Again and again, having heard of the glories of their dear most,
the gem to their ears in whom their minds were submerged, they embraced Him in
mind. Now brought within the sight of their open eyes, for a long time and they
gave up the inner distress that had resulted from their physical
identification, O sovereign of the people.
KrishNa spoke to these ladies, as the overseer of the vision of all creatures.
He spoke with a smile upon His face, understanding that they, getting there to
see Him in person, in that state had broken with all worldly expectations.
'You're most welcome O finest of grace, please sit down, what can I do for you;
what made you to come here and see Me! People of discrimination aware of what's
good for them, most certainly perform directly unto me, their dear most me, in
unrelenting devotional service, that is fully proper and without ulterior
motives'.
'What else indeed would be as dear as that object of love, of which the contact
engendered the dear of ones life force, intelligence, mind, relatives, body,
wife, children, wealth and so forth? Therefore go to the sacrificial arena
where your husbands, the different types of twice-born souls are, so that they,
together with you as householders, will be able to finish their sacrifices.'
The wives answered krishNa: 'You shouldn't speak so harshly this way, O
Almighty One, please be true to Your [scriptural] promise that having obtained
the base of Your lotus feet, shunning all relations, we may carry upon our
hair, the tulsi-garland kicked away by Your foot. Our husbands, fathers, sons
and brothers, other relatives and friends won't take us back and how indeed
would other people then respond? Therefore, for us, whose bodies have fallen at
Your feet, can there be any other destination O Chastiser of the Enemies;
please grant us that!'
KrishNa said: 'Your husbands will not be bad of jealousy. Nor will your
fathers, brothers, sons or other people be. Even the demigods will, on My word,
regard you favorably. Hearing, attending to me [the deity or the gathering of
devotees], meditating and singing about Me, you are of love for Me, not so much
with physical proximity, therefore return to your homes.'
Govinda <../glossary/g.html>, fed the gopas with that very same food in four
types, after which He took a share. And so did He in His pastimes with His
transcendental appearance plow along the human ways delighting with the cows,
the gopas and the gopees whom He pleased with His beauty, words and actions.
Dear bhakthaas, why just I gave the srimadh bhaagavatham as it is, the
description of krishna bulleted above which is most dear to me. I just want to
share that description with you all.
Further these two buffet lunches of krishna are only a poorva peedigai to what
we are going to have in third post. With that, this topic of buffet lunch will
be completed.
Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511