You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00215 Nov 2003

Post 3

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We saw in the "oil bath for calf" episode, a lady came to yasOdhaa for a chat
session, while she called krishNa for a bath - neeraada vaaraai enRu azhaiththa
pOdhu. krishNa asked mother yasOdhaa to wait. Mother yasOdhaa started with a
sort of complaint against krishNa to that lady - and we saw these lines -

ennathaan solladi kaNNan pidiththa pidikku
edhir uNdO solladi
eNNai thEiththidavum ingu vaa enavum
iru iru varuvEn enRu piragu Odi
kanRu onRai kayiRodu iNainthu
iLan kaNNaik kaatti idhaRku eNNai thEi enRal [ennathaan]

yasOdhaa continues her complaint to this lady -

annamE onRu solluvEn kELaai - ivan
adam seivadhu ellaam nEraagap paaraai
mannavan ivan vanthu piRantha naaLaai vishamam
vara vara meeRip pOchchu oru naaLaip pOla  -- ennathaan solladi

meaning: oh swan like damsel, please listen, see this krishNa's different
pranks for yourself. This king after being born here, some new naughty prank
happens daily and crosses all limits. But what to say, is there any thing
against krishNa's wish.

vanthavar pOnavar yaaraik kEttaalum
vambugaL seidhaan enRu solluvaar
vambugaL seidhaan enRu solli innum
vaiyaadhE enRu kooda solluvaar - -- ennathaan solladi

meaning: whoever comes here or goes from here, that person would definitely
have a word on krishNaa's naughty pranks. They will add "Oh yasOdhaa, yes, he
did that, but on that account do NOT scold him". But what to say, is there any
thing against krishNa's wish.

Dear bhakthaas, please note - is this a complaint? or a compliment with a lot
or a tinge of pride - perumai - hey whatever he does becomes right, even if it
is mischievous.

Already in the previous charaNam, it is said "mannavan ivan - vanthu piRandha
naaLaai" meaning - this king, after being born here. Who will have the guts to
complaint against the king, that too, to his mother.

When mother herself says, "oh what I can I do?", Dear bhakthaas, what we can
do, except to enjoy that scene, enacted in our mind, yasOdhaa pleading her
inability on krishNa's leelaas.

[Just as a side line, I wish to add there is a big list of complaints against
krishNa by different gOpees to the mother, krishNa refuting each point with a
clever argument, then mother saying hey ladies, go, you do not have any other
work except complaining against my dear son krishNa. Ooththukkadu swamin has
given three interesting krithis thaaya yasOdhaa, illai illai ammaa, pEsaadhE
pongaLadi. A detailed by this writer is available in
http://www.geocities.com/promiserani2/ under the sub title "articles". Please
read and enjoy.  same is available in bhakti-list archives also].

Coming back to the main topic of  "kaiyil saadham pisaindhu koduththal" krishNa
was not interested in that food - for
a.      there is no grand mother for him, to do that and tell some good stories
while eating.
b.      The lot of young boys, who keep company with him always while grazing,
eating etc is not there now in the house.
c.      The company of calves he loved more, may not stand by his side when he
eats in the house. [as evidenced by Sri Vanamaamali padmanabhan and
smt.sumithra nicely in their write-ups]
d.      The company of young girls of srivillipuththoor led by aaNdaaL also is
not there.

For, these young girls, who said "naatkaalE neeraadi, paraman adi paadi, nEi
uNNOm, paal uNNOm," in second thiruppaavai, says in 28th thiruppaavai -
"kaRavaiGal pin senRu kaanam sErnthu unBom". So they are also now in waiting to
give good company for they have already said "gOvindhaa unthannOdu koodi
irundhu kuLirndhu" in 27th and but not yet started eating.

Why 26 is the difference between 2 to 28th paasuram - uNNOm to uNbOm? - perhaps
more learned bhagavathaas in the list can explain the 24 thathvams plus two
which make up the 26 basic tenets of the srivaishNavam - the exact difference.

As already we have seen in buffet lunch post 1, krishNa enjoyed the vana
bhOjanam with friends and calves, also being witnessed by brahma. Further in
the second buffet lunch post 2, we saw the wives of brahmins not only gave
food, also gave company while he ate - again that "koodi irundhu kuLirndhu" -
lord also likes the bhaagavatha sangam.

aaNdaal vies for that place where krishNa enjoyed the food given by these wives
of brahmins, saying
vErththu pasiththu vayiRu asaindhu vENdi adisil uNNumpOdhu eedhenRu
paarththirundhu
nedu nOkkuk koLLum paththavilOchanaththu ennai uyththidumin - NT 12.-6

[this verse is something great - if I start explaining these lines the main
interest will get diverted so I refrain]

When so much is going on, mother yasOdhaa says - hey krishNa - alright you had
the buffet lunch. Now it is time for dinner. So come, I will give food to you.
See

kaadugaL oodu pOi kanRu mEiththu maRiyOdi kaarkOdaRpoo
soodi varuginRa dhaamOdharaa, kaRRuth thooLikkaN un udambu
pEdai mayil saayal pinnai maNaaLaa, neeraattam amaiththu vaiththEn
aadi amudhu sei appanum uNdilan unnudanE uNbaan.

3-3-3- periyaazhvaar thirumozhi

rough meaning: Dear krishNa, you went into the forests and grazed the calves.
So your body is full of dust. I kept ready water etc, for your bath. So please
take bath, then come and eat. Your daddy has also not taken food waiting for
you to take food with you.

So krishNa went for bath. Returned to mother asking for food along with daddy.
Only thing he put a condition. What condition? Whether fulfilled etc please see
below.

Now mother yasOdhaa narrates the scene what was the condition and what happened
then.

anRaikkum ippadiththaan uNNa vaa enREn
aagattum enRu solli vandhaan
annaai kaNNai moodi kaiyil thara vENdum
appOdhu thaan uNNuvEn enRaan

meaning: that day also I called him for food. 'Ok' he said and came - Oh
mother, but with a condition, he said - please, you have to close your eyes and
then give food in the hand.

inRaikku ninaiththaalum naaNam miga aagudhu
engaL kaNNan indha vidham seidhaan
ennai aRiyaadhu pin ninRa thandhaiyai
Endhu karam aakki engO senRaan

Meaning: even today when I think what happened then I feel ashamed. Our kaNNan
did like this. Without myself knowing, when I closed my eyes, he just pushed
his daddy in front and went somewhere.

iLamalar vaayinil koLLaadhu enap pOtta
en bhudhdhiyai enna sollavO
Edho kaNNaith thiRakka engaLavar kai neetti
eduththu uNNuvadhaich chollavO -- ennathaan solladi

meaning: thinking that this young flower like mouth of krishNa may not receive
my handful food, I gave small quantity in the hand. When I opened the eyes
suddenly, I find that my husband is eating that food stretching his hand, not
krishNa. Whatever you say - is there any word against krishNa.

Perhaps this story may not have a basic reference in srimadh bhagavatham nor in
aazhvaar paasurams. But ooththukkadu mahan has visualised such a naughty
krishNa and penned this krithi. [for a full krithi combine all the lines of
krithi. just considering the length of the post, i did not do that].

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM