You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00023 Nov 2006

Dear Sir,
   Pardon me for mistakes if any. I have a stotra book published by
a reputed publisher of Kerala and this sloka is given there as the
first.If this is not correct, please do inform me, so that I can
remove it from the text or add a note. With pranams, Ramachander
--- In Oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, srinivasa chary
<srinivasadasa@...> wrote:

> Dear swAmin,
>   srImathE RAmAnujAya namaha!
>   The first sloka in this ashtakam is same as Sri parAsara
bhattar's "RanganAtha stOtram". How come?
>   adiyEn
>   srInivAsadAsa
>
> ramya475 <ramya475@...> wrote:
>           Dear Friends,
> I am posting below my translation of Ranganathashtakam. I have
> been helped by Dr.Saroja Ramanujam in this task. My pranams to
this
> group members, Ramachander
> Ranganathashtakam
> (Octet on Ranganatha)
> By
> Adhi Shankara
> Translated by
> P.R.Ramachander
> (with assistance in editing the translation by Dr.Saroja Ramanujam)
>
> (Sri Rangam for a Vaishnavite is the holy of the holies to all
> Vaishnavites (worshippers of Lord Vishnu) and is similar to
Benares
> for a shaivite." 2 km from Tiruchirapalli, Srirangam is the most
> important temple in Sri Vaisnavism. The Deity here is Lord
> Ranganatha reclining on Ananta Sesha. It is also the biggest
temple
> in India covering 155 acres and is surrounded by the Rivers Kaveri
> and Kolladam. The dome (vimana) over the Deity is covered in gold
> and is known as the Paravasudeva Ranga-Vimana. The Deity of
> Ranganatha was first worshipped by Lord Brahma, then later given
> Maharaja Iksvaku of the Raghu Dynasty, who brought the Deity to
his
> capital of Ayodhya. Later, the Deity was worshipped by Lord
> Ramachandra. When Vibhishana visited Ayodhya he requested
> Ramachandra to give him the Deity so that he could worship Him at
> his capital in Lanka. Ramachandra agreed provided Vibhishana did
not
> place the Deity on the ground on his return to Lanka ? if he did
so,
> the Deity would stay in that spot. Somehow or other, Vibhishana
> placed Lord Ranganatha down at Srirangam and that is where he has
> stayed ever since. However, unlike most Deities which face east,
> Ranganatha faces south towards Lanka to bless Vibhishana and his
> kingdom. It is said that Vibhishana returns every 12 years to
> perform worship of Lord Ranganatha"*
> All the Vaishnavite saints called Azhwars, Saint Ramanuja and his
> followers especially Sri Vedantha desikan, have sung about this
> temple and the Lord who rules in it. It is believed that Adhi
> Sankara who visited this temple composed this very pretty octet.
It
> [...]
> Krupa nivase Guna brunda vase,
> Sri Ranga vase ramatham mano mey. 4
>
> Let my mind revel in Ranga,
> As the one who lives in Sri Ranga,
> In whom goddess Lakshmi lives,
> Who is the abode of the universe
> Who lives in the lotus of our heart,
> Who lives in the face of the Sun.
> Who is the abode of mercy,
> And who lives where good conduct lives.
>
> Brahmadi vandye Jagadeka vandhye,
> Mukunda vandhye, sura natha vandhye,
> Vyasadhi vandhye, Sanakadhi vandhye,
> Sri ranga vandhye ramatham mano mey. 5
>
> In Him let my mind revel
> As the one who is saluted in Sri Ranga,
> Who is venerated by gods like Brahma,
> Who is venerated by the entire universe,
> Who is venerated as Mukunda,
> Who is venerated by lord of devas,
> Who is worshipped by sages like Vyasa,
> And who is venerated by sages like Sanaka.
>
> Brahmadhi raje, garudadhi raje,
> Vaikunta raje sura raja raje,
> Trilokya raje , akhila loka raje,
> Sri Ranga raje ramatham mano mey. 6
>
> Let my mind revel in Him
> Who is the king of Sri Ranga,
> Who is the king of gods like Brahma,
> Who is the king of the holy bird , Garuda,
> Who is the king of Vaikunta,
> Who is the king of the king of devas,
> Who is the king of the three worlds,
> And who is the king of the entire universe.
>
> Amogha mudhre Paripoorna nidhre,
> Sri Yoga nidhre , sasamudhra nidhre,
> Srithaika bhadre, jagathaika nidhre,
> Sri ranga bhadre ramatham mano mey. 7
>
> Let my mind revel in Him
> As one who protects the city of Sri Ranga,
> Who has , whose sign is never failing
> Who is in perfect sleep,
> Who is in the Yogic sleep,
> Who sleeps on the ocean,
> Who takes care of goddess Lakshmi,
> And in whom the whole world sleeps
>
> Sa chithra sayi, bhujagendra sayi,
> Nandanga sayi , kamalanka sayi,
> Ksheerabdhi sayi , vata pathra sayi,
> Sri Ranga sayi , ramatham mano mey. 8
>
> Let my mind revel in Him
> As the one who sleeps in the city of Sri Ranga,
> Who sleeps pretty as a picture,
> Who sleeps on the king of serpents,
> Who sleeps on the lap of Nanda,
> Who sleeps on the lap of Lakshmi,
> Who sleeps on the ocean of milk,
> And who sleeps on the banyan leaf.
>
> Idham hi rangam thyajathamihangam,
> Punarnachangam yadhi changamethi,
> Panou rathangam charanembhu gangam,
> Yane vihangam sayane bhujangam. 9
>
> He who sheds his body in this ranga (ground)
> Never gets embodiment again
> As Ranga has chakra in His hand,
> The Garuda is His vehicle,
> The serpent is His bed
> And his feet is wetted by river Ganga,
>
> Ranganathashtakam punyam prathruthaya ya padeth,
> Sarvaan kamanavapnothirangi sayujyamapnuyath. 10
>
> Any one reading this octet on the lord of Ranga,
> As soon as he gets up in the morning,
> Will get his wishes fulfilled,
> And in the end attain salvation.
>

> ---------------------------------
> Low, Low, Low Rates! Check out Yahoo! Messenger's cheap  PC-to-
Phone call rates.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional