You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00042 Nov 2006

Dear BhakthAs of Sri Devi :

adiyEn has 3 slOkams from the 17th chapter of Lakshmi Sahasram
named " Naama Vaibhavam " ( slOkams 40-42)  to get ready before
the release of Volume I of Sri Lakshmi Sahasram as an e-book this week .
The inspiration for the write ups on Sri Lakshmi Sahasram is from
Professor NavalpAkkam KaNNan Swamy's postings in Sri RanganAtha
Paadhukaa of Srimath Srirangam Andavan Aasramam .

Please enjoy the 40th SlOkam of Naama Vaibhavam .

SlOkam 40

anvaya Kramam: Samudhra Puthri ! kaNDE kapachayai: kuNDitha
nisvanE akshEshu vikshEpishu , yAthanAbhi: chEtasi syUthE asushu
kshipram prathishDAsushu , sAyAsaa api samaya abhij~naa rasaj~naa
Thvath naama upahitham hitham Devasya nAma svayam japathu

(Meaning): Oh Daughter of the Samudhra Raajan ! There will be a time
when my throat will be congested with the accumulation of phlegm and
will interfere with my speech ; my limbs will be weak ; my sufferings of
the last moments will be deeply entwined with my mind and the life will
be rapidly extinguished . Inspite of the fatigue experienced  during those
parting moments , may my tongue knowing that approaching moment recite
Your name along with that of Your Lord (Sriman NarayaNa ) to comfort me .

(Comments ): During the moments of departure  from this earth one undergoes
a lot of unpleasant experiences ; Speech may be blocked by the phlegm in
the throat ; the eyes and the ear would have lost their functions ;the mind will
be confused by the onslaught of fear about the approaching death  and pains
experienced by the aching limbs . The vital air would be ready to leave the body .
At hat time of great turmoil , Oh Mahaa Lakshmi , bless my tongue to recite
Your Lord's name preceded by Your name to have hitham .

Sri Kannan Swamy points out that the poet literally translates various AzhwAr's Paasura
Vaakyams dealing with human experiences as death approaches into equivalent Sanskrit
passages and includes them in this slOkam . Four such examples are listed below :

" Yeyttha sollOdeeLayEngi irumi " is translated into " kuNDitha nisvanE kapachayai: "
" pulankaL naiyya meyyil muthu " has its echos in " akshEshU vikshEpishu " .
" uLLam yeLhik-kalanga " has been translated into " syUthE chEthasi " .
" sAmidatthu yenRum aRRathu vaaNAL  has been translated into "asushu prathishDAsushu "

Another AzhwAr reminded the Lord ahead of time about what the Lord has to do:
" appOthaikkppOthE solli vaitthEn". Please do not tell me that adiyEn did nort remind
you way ahead of time , when my faculties are in tact .  AppOthu refers to the time of
nearness to death , when faculties and the limbs are not in control. IppOthu is the time ,
when the mind is clear and the limbs are strong .

In Bhagavath GithA and in Swamy Desikan's GopAla Vimsathy , we are remided of
the importance of anthima smruthi ( rememberance of the Lord's Naama and form during
the last moments ) . During the final moments of life , our thoughts should be on Sriman
NarayaNan and not on children and property and other useless things for gaining sathgathy.
The poet says in this context : " mama rasaj~nA Thvath naama upahithamhitham dEvasya
Naama SVAYAM Japathu " . Knowing that the end is nearing , May my tongue recite
Your Naamaa with that of Your PirAtti ( Siman NaarAyaNa , Jaanaki RamaNa , SeethA Raamaa) .
May my tongue be programmed to step in at that time to recite those NaamAs .My tongue
is aware of the time to conenct the switch as it were to the recitation of those NaamAs
( samaya abhij~naa) . It would be a deliberate act and not a happenstance event . We have
an agreement . adiyEn will recite Your name even in those difficult times or would have
performed my SaraNAgathy , when my faculies and limbs were in control and You will
come and guide me with Your own hands to Your supreme abode as you instructed
us in Your VarAha Charama slOkam .The poet's prayer to Mahaa Lakshmi is : May my
tongue recite Your Lords' NaamAs automatically ( Mama rasaj~nA svayam japathu , SamayE
japathu ) .That would be Parama hitham says the poet .

Sri KaNNan Swamy has a KuRaL like succinct translation of thei slOkam in TamiL :

thunpuRRut-thujumkaal
thuyar mikkut-thudikkunkaal
thuNayAhum unn pErAl
thodangum unn ThuNaivan pEr

Thunpam is sufferring . This suffering is during the time of death ( thunjum kaal) .
There are so many sorrows that makes one restless and makes one's mind jump
with fear of the naraka VaathaNai due to accumulated sins ( thunpuRRu tudikkumkAl) .
Thudipaathu is intense suffering like the fish out of water or the jumping with pain ,
when one crosses a hot , dry river bed in the height of summer . During those times of
intense suffering , Your name is a great protection ( TuNayAhum unn Peyar ) . Your Name
( SrI ) is preceded by your Lord's name ( unn pErAl thodangum unn ThuNaivan Peyar ) :
Sriya: Pathi , Indhiraa Kaanthan , SeethA Raaman , Kamalaa Pathy et al .

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list