You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2006

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00184 Nov 2006

       SrImate SrI ra'nga rAmAnuja mahA deSikAya namaH.

              sarva-praharaNAyudha om nana iti    |

Slokam 107 that we concluded in our last posting, has different
versions in different books.  The version we used in our last posting
is the version used by some; there are some who include the
words `sarva-praharaNAyudha om nama iti' as part of Slokam 107, at
the end of the Sloka that we had in our last posting. There are some
versions that just include the nAma `sarva-praharaNAyudhaH' once more
at the end as part of Slokam 107, followed by the words `om nama iti'
as the next sentence.

This is then followed by phala Sruti.  Not all commentators have
included vyAkhyAna beyond what we covered in our previous posting.
Some proceed further, and give interpretation for the words `sarva-
praharaNAyudha om nama iti', followed by interpretation for the phala
Sruti Sloka-s; others give vyAkhyAnam for "sarva-praharaNAyudha om
nama it', but do not include a commentary for the phala Sruti Sloka-s.

SrI satya devo vAsishTha, SrI kRshNa datta bhAradvAj, SrI M. V.
rAmAnujAcArya, NS SrI cinmayAnanda, are among those who end their
commentaries WITH Slokam 107 as we had in the preceding posting.  SrI
BhaTTar, SrI Sa'nkara, SrI v.v. rAmAnujan, are among those who
continue their vyAkhyAna-s further, even though they do not all cover
everything beyond this point.

sarva-praharaNAyudha om nama iti ?

I came to know about a `Critical edition' of mahA bhArata by the
Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute.  Following is a brief
description of the `Critical Edition' provided to me by Dr. Bob Evans
of the University of Chicago:

"The project took decades.  Some of the greatest Sanskrit scholars of
India and the West worked on the project at different times.  What I
recall from Professor van Buitenen at the University of Chicago (from
Sanskrit classes nearly 30 years ago), is that the goal was to try to
reconstruct Vyasa's orginal text by comparing the oldest dated
manuscripts from all over India.  As manuscripts were copied and
recopied over thousands of years, variations crept in.  Some were
mistakes made by the copiers, others were corrections based on the
learning of the copier, etc. etc.  In some cases, there were stories
that exist only in one region and not in other regions.  The
differences were culled out (and fully documented in notes).  In a
nutshell, the editors attempted to recover the "original" text before
the variations crept in over time.  In the West, this approach has
been used to "recover" the "original" texts of the Bible.  In India,
this approach has been used to edit the Ramayana (project completed)
and the Bhagavata Purana (project in progress at Tirupati)".

The editing of this manuscript for mahabhArata extended over several
years (the cover page of the Critical Edition that I have lists the
starting date as August 1925, and the effort was on-going as of at
least April, 1961).  The reason for my bringing up this information
is that this Critical Edition does not have the words "sarva-
praharaNAyudha om nama iti" in its text.  This may partly explain why
certain vyAkhyAna-kartA-s have omitted this line from their
commentaries.  However, it is worth noting that Adi Sa'nkara, the
first one known to have written a vyAkhyAnam for SrI vishNu sahasra
nAmam, has included these words in his vyAkhyAnam, and has commented
on the phrase.  Others have included his vyAkhyAnam when they have
included the vyAkhyAnam for this line in their publications.

I am unable to find a vyAkhyAnam for this line by SrI BhaTTar in
three texts that I have.  asmad AcAryan, SrImad SrImushNam ANDavan,
does not include this in his upanyAsam on SrI vishNu sahasra nAmam,
and continues directly to the phala Sruti after Slokam 107.  However,
Prof. A. Srinivasa Raghavan, in his English translation of SrI
BhaTTar's `bhagavad guNa darpaNam', has added an explanation in
English for the line `sarva-praharaNAyudha om nama iti', which
esentiallay echoes SrI Sa'nkara's vyAkhyAnam.  .  The same is the
case with the English translation for SrI BhaTTar's vyAkhyAnam by SrI
vishNu sahasra nAma satsa'ngam, New Delhi.

SrI Sa'nkara's vyAkhyAnam for this line is:  "dvir-vacanam samAptim
dyotayati  |  OmkAraSca ma'ngalArthaH |"  - The repetition "sarva-
praharaNAyudhah" marks the end of the work.  The syllable "OM" is
used for auspiciousness.   He gives support from the bRhan-nAradIya
purANam (51.10):

        Om-kAraScAtha SabdaSca dvAvetau brahmaNah purA   |
        kaNTham bhitvA viniryAtau tasmAn-mA'ngaLikAvubhau  ||

"As the words OM and atha proceeded from the throat of brahmA at the
beginning, they are auspicious".

He further comments that by the word namaH, the author of the stotra
offers obeisance to Lord vishNu.  He gives support from the Sruti:

        bhUyishThAm te nama uktim vidhema |  (ISA. 18)

"We offer Thee many words of salutation with the word `namaH'".

SrI Sa'nkara notes that it is the practice followed by elders to
offer salutation to bhagavAn at the beginning of an act as well as
the end of the act.  (ante'pi namaskArasya SishTaiH AcaraNAt).

He concludes his vyAkhyAnam of the tenth hundred with the following
Sloka-s pointing out the greatness attained by prostrating to Lord
kRshNa:

        eko'pi kRshNe sukRtah praNAmo daSASvamedhAvabRthena tulyah  |
        daSASvamedhI punareti janma kRshNa praNAmI na apunar-bhavAya

        atasI pushpa sa'nkASam pIta-vASasam acyutam  |
        ye namasyanti govindam na teshAm vidyate bhayam  ||

        loka-trayAdhipatim a-pratima-prabhAvam
Ishat praNamya SirasA prabhavishNum ISam  |
janmAntara pralaya kalpa sahasra jAtam
Asu praNASam upayAti narasya pApam   ||

"Even one salutation, offered with sincerity to Lord kRshNa, is
equivalent to ten aSva-medha yAga-s properly performed.  He who has
performed the aSvamedha yAha can still take another birth, but he who
salutes kRshNa is never re-born.

"There is no fear for those who bow down before Govinda, whose color
resembles that of the atasI flower, who is clad in yellow pItAmbaram,
and who never lets His devotees fall.

"The non-righteous acts committed by a man in his past births, over a
thousand kalpa-s and pralaya-s, are immediately destroyed by slightly
bowing down his head before the Supreme Lord, vishNu, of incomparable
excellence, and the Master of the three worlds."

SrI v. v. rAmAnujan notes that in the gItA, it is declared that the
syllable `OM' is the representation of Brahman in sound form ? `
omityekAkasharam brahma' (gItA 8.13).
Lord kRshNa declares again ?

        tasmAt OM iti udAhRtya yaj~na dAna tapaH kriyAH   |
        pravartante vidAnoktAH satatam brahma vAdinAm  ||  (gItA
17.24)

"Therefore, the sacrificial acts performed as specified in the veda-
s, gifts and austerity by the expounders of the veda-s, or such acts
by those belonging to the first three stations, are always and at all
times begun after pronouncing the syllable OM at the beginning".

The same practice applies to the completion of an act as well,
according to the practice of elders.

SrI satya sandha tIrtha uses a version of Sloka 107 that contains a
repetition of the nAma saeva-praharaNAyudaH, followed by the
words `om nama iti', as follows:

        Sa'nkha-bhRn_nandakI cakrI SAr'nga-dhanvA gadA-dharaH  |
        rathA'nga-pANr_akshobhyaH sarva-praharaNAyudhaH sarva-
praharaNAyudhaH ||  om nama iti ||

This pATham retains the recurrence of the nAma sarva-praharaNAyudhaH
twice in sequence, followed by the words `om nama iti', as a separate
phrase following this version of Slokam 107.   SrI satya sandha
tIrtha also points to the common practice that the last word(s) are
repeated at the end, to signify conclusion of the work ?  adhyAyAnte
dvir-uktiH syAt vede vA vaidike'pi vA |

SrI veLLukuDi kRshNan includes comments for the phrase `srva
praharaNAyudha om nama it', and his vyAkhyAnam also echoes the spirit
of SrI Sa'nkara bhAshyam.  He gives the example of the brahma sUtra,
where the last word(s) at the end of each of the four adhyAya-s are
repeated, to signify the end of the adhyAya:

etena sarve vyAkhyAtA vyAkhyAtAh  | - at end of chapter 1
vaiSeshyAttu tad-vAdas-tad-vAdah ? at end of 2nd adhyAya
evam muktiphalAniyamas-tadavasthAvadhRtes-tadasthAvadhRteh  - at end
of 3rd adhyAya
anAvRtti SabdAt anAvRtti-SabdAt  | - at end of 4th adhyAya.

This is the form of the sUtra that is used by both Adi Sa'nkara and
bhagavad rAmAnuja in their bhAshya-s for the brahma sUtra, confirming
that this is the form in which bAdarAyaNa himself has given the sUtra
to us (with the words repeated at the end to indicate conclusion).

Thus, in conclusion of the write-up on the phrase `sarva-
praharaNAyudha om nama it', we note that athis phrase is not found
int eh Critical Edition of mahA bhArata.  SrI Sa'nkara has commented
on this line, and many subsequent commentators have followed his
commentary.    As expected, his commentary follows the vedic
tradition of indicating the conclusion of the work by repetition of
the last  nAma, followed the `OM' and namaH' Sabda-s.

-dAsan kRshNamAcAryan
(To be continued)

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: