You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00017 Nov 2007

Respectful Madam & Bhagavathas, Adien offers apologies if anything contradiction stated by me.
Adiyen wanted to express adiyen's thoughts that arose after going through your one sentence on the subject.
Everything that happens automatically is due to our karma, no doubt. But, as Sri Krishna states in Gita, the jiva has freedom upto taking  the first step according to which He leads him till the destination. For tha first step only He has provided us the sareera, the kulam, the tradition of worship and the opportunities that come before us. It all depends on using our buddhi which is also a gift of the Lord. Many a time we miss to take the right step and realise the mistake at later stage.  Some fortunate jivas catch it at the earliest stage. It is also stated by Sri Krishna in the Gita. But, He does not rule out the freedom to choose the first step and proceed which in case is discontiuend take us to the next birth in the right family so that that journey is continued further by the jiva. Even then due to our missing the opportunities despite being in the right family, tradition we go astray and cotinue our birth circle.
Thinking a lot over this problem adiyen felt that it is all due to our failure to listen to our own conscience.
But there are a few fortunate jivas like you madam who are able to catch the indication given by their conscience, that is, the Antharyami, the Lord.
Pl. pardon if adiyen has blurred.
Regards,
Srinivasa dasan

Saroja Ramanujam <sarojram18@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Somyanarayanan,

Dr.Sadagopan has expressed clearly what I wanted to say I would like to add af ew lines though.It is true that you must have a particular form of deity etc. for upasana. But it is my opinion and experience that you do not have to choose the form of ishtadevata but it comes to you of its own accord. 'YamaiveshavrNuthe thena labhyathe'  When you go on worshipping Him in all forms suddenly He comes to you in one form and settles in your heart.For those saints like Kabir and Thyagaraja, they got fixed to one form due to their poorvajanma sukrtha.But Thyagaraja has sung on all deities and that does not make him a less  devotee of Rama.He had the jnana and so did all the saints and azvars that all are the different forms of the same God. We have different photos of our beloved ones, father, mother, son, etc. But there is surely one particular photo in a particular dress and _expression_ you love most and would like to place on your table or car.That does not make you love the others less. Similarly the particular form that steals your heart is that of your ishtadevata.As I said your ishtadevata and also your acharya are something that happens to you by God's grace when the proper time comes. That is why it is said that if you have ardent aspiration and faith the guru seeks you out to impart instruction.

All the azvars say in their hymns about the Lord in various divyadesams that "it is He who appeared as Rama, (or Krishna, trivikrama, vamana etc.) is seen in this divyadesam. All are like defferent photos of the Lord in different costumes, as Desika puts it. Personally speaking my ishtadevata is Lakshminarasimha but I did not choose Him. He chose me.When I see or worship any other form of Narayana it is only a diffferent form of Narasimha, who is Lord Narayana.Oothukkadu  Venkatasubbaiarsays in his song 'munseidhathavappayane,' that 'sangodu saarngamum aaziyum kudai kamandalamum kodari kodhandamum ingivai aagaadhena vanamalarmaalaiyum ponthugilum mayiliragum,' by which he has mentioned all the incarnations in one line! ( type pannumpodhe pullarikkiradhu) Mukkur swami has said in his 'kuraiyonrum illai' that  the Lord is present even in Thirupparkadal as Narasimha and threw away His chata etc and became Krishna. Desika says in his varadarajasthava that the whole world is even now nrsimhagarbham except the one pillar in the courthall of Hiranyakasipu because the Lord pervaded everywhere as Narasimha because He did not know where Hiranya kasipu was going to point out and He had the responsibilty to prove the words of His bhaktha Prahlada who said that the Lord is everywhere.He appears to you in what ever form you want to see Him and manifests in all forms for His devotees which are the different costumes of the kapatanatakasuthradhari.

               Dr.  Saroja Ramanujam, M.A., Ph.D, Siromani in sanskrit.
  Please visit www.freewebs.com/sarojaramanujam
                   www.freewebs.com/asrama3