You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00172 Nov 2007

Sri:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all

EngaL gadhiyE! Iraamaanusa muniyE!
sangkaikedutthaaNda thavaraasaa ?pongkupugazh
mangkaiyarkOn eendha maRaiyaayiramanaitthum
thangkumanamnNeeyenakkuth thaa

(by Embaar)

(Oh Our Only refuge Sri Ramaujamuni! Please bless us
with the capable mind to retain all thousand pAsurams
of ThirumangaiAzhwAr, that are equivelent to VedAs. )

In order to pay our obeisance to our dearest
Thirumangai AzhwAr on His Birthday today (Kaarthigai
maasam, Kritthigai Nakshathram), let us enjoy the
upadEsam scene AzhwAr got from Sriman Narayanan.

The Lord asked Thirumangai mannan to come near Him AND
WHISPERED IN HIS RIGHT EAR the Ashtaakshara Manthram.
Having heard those EIGHT SYALLABLES (AshtAksharam)
right from none other than SRIYA: PATHI HIMSELF, his
body, mind, heart became PURE!. All his dirt had
disappeared! He was simply electrified by the
AshtAkshara upadEasam and burst out VaadinEn Vaadi?
pAsurams. He had goose pimples all over his body; He
was blessed with indescribable blissful happiness! He
prostrated fully at Their Lotus feet with eyes full of
tears at Their mercy to bless him despite his
shortcomings and negative qualities. They blessed him
with Their KARUNA KATAAKSHAM. Then They disappeared.

AzhwAr realised His ThiruviLaiyAdal and His
thadutthAkoLLum Emeprumaan?s Greatness. He realised
the purpose of his birth and poured out tamizh
pAsurams on the Lord incessantly. He looked at the sky
and kept on crying ceaselessly for Their dayA on his
lowly self. His hands and legs were shivering with
tremendous amount of Bhakti and love/ excitement
for the Lord.

Let us enjoy His [naichyAnusanthAnam] utter humility
with which he sang some of his pAsurams. I was deeply
moved by these simple lovely emotional words of
Thirumangai AzhwAr.

He narrates in his 1.9 of Periya Thirumozhi, where he
starts off with

?thaayE thandhai enRum thaaramE kiLai makaaL enRum/
nOyE paattozhindhEn?. NaayEn vandhaindhEn ? (He
describes himself as the lowly dog !), and continues
beautifully!

naanE naanaavidha narakam pughum paavam cheydhEn? (I
have committed enormous sins that will push me into
the Hell automatically?)

konRen palluyirai kurikkOL onRum illaamaiyinaal
enREnum irandhaarkku inidhaaga vuraitth aRiyEn? ( I
have killed many without any purpose (as a king and as
a army general..); I have never ever helped those who
come to me for alms; nor have I uttered anything
sweet to them (by pointing to those who can help them
)

kulandhaan etthanaiyum piRandhE iRandheyytthu
ozhindhEn nalndhaan onRum ilEn nalladhOr aRam cheudhum
ilEn? (I have been taking so many births and deaths
and I have never performed any good deed in any of
them.)

yeppaavam palavum ivaiyE cheydhu iLaitthu ozhindhEn
thuppaa ninnadiyE thodarndhEtthEtthavun giRkinRilEn?.
(I have never prostrated Your Feet and had exerted
myself committing only sins, sins and sins?)

theriyEn baalakanaay pala theemaigaL seydhumittEn
periyEn aayinapin piRarkkE uzhaitthu yEzhai aanEn?. (I
have committed lot of mistakes and apachaarams during
my boyhood, as playful acts? When I grew up, I have
worked only for others and have become poor and wasted
my treasure/wealth (of this sarIram of Yours without
thinking and serving You)?

paRREl onRum ilEn paavamE seydhu paaviyaanEn
maRREl onRaRiyEn maayanE ! engaL MadhavanE!
kaRREn ?paayndhozhugum kamalacchunai vEnkatavaa
aRREn vandhadaindhEn adiyEnai AtkONdu aruLE! ?

(I have NOTHING to hold on to and I have committed
ONLY SINS AND BECOME AN INCORRIGIBLE SINNER. I have
NONE ELSE AND NOTHING. I am NOT learned too! (Only You
are there to save me! and Only You can! ) My Dear
Madhavaa! VenkatEsA! I have come here at ThirumalA.
Please consider me and take me as Your eternal
servant!)

nalam tharum sollai naan kaNdu koNdEN ?Narayana? ennum
naamam?.

thujumbOdhu azhaimin ? when you go to sleep, call Him
?Narayana?;
thuyar varil ninaimin- when you have probelsm and are
sorrowful, think of Him ?Narayana?;
thuyarileer sollinum nanRaam? even if you have no
problems and are happy, even then, it is so sweet and
nice to utter ?Narayana?.

A Great AzhwAr! Really a Great AzhwAr! What an
outpourings! IT IS OUR FORTUNE TO BE BORN AS
VAISHNAVITES, and it is the grace of Divya Damapatis
and the anugraham of AchAryAs and AzhwArs for being
able to get an opportunity to share such enjoyment and
anubhavams.

namo narayana
ThirumangaiAzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
narayana dasan madhavakkannan