You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Oct 2002

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00059 Oct 2002

SrI:

Dear SrImAn Sudarshan:

Thanks for your note relating to VirOdha ParihAram
by Swamy Desikan (1268-1369 C.E).

It is a rahasya grantham , which houses 108 doubts and
objections relating to the topics covered by Swamy Desikan's
SrIMad Rahasya Thraya Saaram (SRTS). At a very ripe
old age , Swamy Desikan took the trouble to write
this brilliant SrI Sookthi to banish from our minds
the doubts that might have arisen from our poor
comprehension of the topics covered in SRTS .

Swamy Desikan's precocious son and AchAryA in
his own right wrote a Sanskrit commentary about
VirOdha ParihAram by his illustrious father and
AchAryan . BTW , KumAra VaradAchAran (1316-1401 C.E)
has commented on many SrI sookthis of his father
(avidhyA KaNDana , AasrayAnupatthi , Tatthva Traya
chuLakArtha Sangraham , VirOdaparihAra ).

Swamy Desikan answers 80 doubts that might arise
from improper understanding of Moola Manthram ,
10 doubts that might plague one about Dhvayam and
10 more doubts associated with the Charama SlOkam
and 8 more doubts linked to NigamanaadhikAram.

The first Question/doubt for which Swamy Desikan gives
the answer is: How does EmperumAn , who watches the troubles of
the Jeevan can be called Sarvarakshakan(protector of All)?

The seventh Question is: How can you call animals and plants
as the Daasans of EmperumAn? How do you explain that?

The 37th question for which Swamy Desikan gives His
answer is: " Is there specific time limits to Bhagavath
Kaimkaryams or can they be performed at any time we choose ?

The 38th doubt is about:If the AchAryan makes a mistake ,
what should the Sishyan do?

The 47th doubt raised and answered is: Is it the AathmA or
SarIram that experiences pleasures and pains ?

The 67th Doubt removed with the brilliant answer is:
What is the parama PurushArtham for a liberated
soul in SrIvaikuntam? Is it Bhagavath anubhavam
or Bhagavath Kaimkaryam?

The 68th doubt is: Is Parama Padha prApthi and
VishNulOka PrApthi one and the same ?

Moksham is described both as anishta nivrutthi and
Ishta prApthi ? How can this be reconciled ?
( Anishta Nivrutthi is the removal of inauspiciousness ;
Ishta prApthi is the gaining of what one seeks as
auspicous)...76th doubt .

In his 102nd question Swamy Desikan asks and answers
why each of the three rahasyams essential ?

The final doubt (108th) addressed is: How can one
clear one's doubts further about the three rahasyams?

Just a sampling to demo the scope of the doubts ,
which Swamy Desikan anticipates that a student of
Rahasya Thrayams might have .

Hopefully , adiyEn would have the bhAgyam in future
about each of these doubts and Sawmy Desikan's
authoritative responses to banish them.

Swamy Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Oppilaippan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

At 11:55 PM 10/30/02 -0800, you wrote:
>--- Sadagopan <sgopan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Swamy Desikan's VirOdha PrihAram is considered
>> as His Swan Song.This was written to help us , who
>> might have still unresolved doubts about the tatthvams
>> covered in Srimad Rahasya Thraya Saaram.

Dear SrimAn Sadagopan,
I was ignorant of this work "virodha-prihAram". Thanks for pointing
out. However since you say it was written only to complement the RTS,
I suppose, the latter might yet qualify as Desikan's "most well-known
'swan-song'".

In a lighter vein, I would have thought that Desikan's real
'swan-song' is his 'hamsa-sandEsham'!! (Sorry for the pun).

>Regards,
>dAsan,
>Sudarshan

Home Page