You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Oct 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00018 Oct 2003

SrI:

Dear SrI Vikas Sharma:

In reponse to your Question on the Rg Veda Manthram 9.67.27 ,
this is part of the PavamAni hymns , which are cited by the Rg Vedam
itself as the essence of VedAs that is carefully recieved and preserved
by the Vedic Rishis . For those , who recite these PavamAni hymns ,
Sarasvathi , the divine Mother of Speech is said to provide " the spiritual
milk, butter and exhilirating sweetened ambrosia ( Tasmai SarsvathI
duhE ksheeram sarpir amdhUdhakam : Rg Vedam 9.67.32 ).

Now coming back to Rk 9.67.27, it is part of prayers to Lord
( Rg Vedam 9.67.23-27 ). Here is the context of this manthram .
Let us lok at few manthrams that precede 9.67.27:

Manthram 9.67.23 prays: Brahma tEna puneehi na: Oh adorable Lord !
with that unmatchable jyOthi within You , may You purify us !

Manthram 9.67.24 prays:

" yatthE Pavitram arcivad agnE tEn a puneehi na:
brahmasavai: puneehi na:"

Oh adorable Lord! Please sanctify (purify ) us! May You
purify us with Your purest of pure radiance and divine love !

Manthram 9.67.26 is a powerful prayer appealing to the incomparable
skills of Param JyOthi svaroopa Brahman to purify the UpAsakan.
This Jyothi is visualized and invoked as "Tribish Tvam" and presiding
over three regions ( On earth as Fire, in midspace as Lightning and in
Celestial space as the Sun).

Now comes the 9.67.27 Rk that you referred to :

Here the enlightened persons (Deva JanA: ) are being prayed to
purify the YajamAnan : "Punanthu mAmm dEvajanA: "

The next prayer is to the persons with riches (Vasus )
to make the YajamAnan pure through their wise benedictions :

" Punanthu Vasav) dhiyA"

The third set of Prayers are to the bounties of nature to purify
the YajamAnan :

" visvE dEvA: puneetha maa "

The final set of prayers are to the Omniscient and Omnipotent
Lord ( Sarvaj~nan and Sarva Sakthan) to purify the YajamAnan
of the Soma Yaagam :

" JaathavEda: puneehi maa "

Oh Lord ! may You purify me is the prayer!

These 9.67 hymns addressed to PavamAna Soma , PavamAna Pushan ,
PavamAna Agni , PavamAna SavitA , PavamAna Agni-Savitr are
echoed in Saama Veda manthrams ( 1323, 1324, 1325, 1810-1812,
1298 and 1299 et al).

The purification sought is against many heinous crimes committed
earlier. These sins are expiated by the recitation of these PavamAna
Soma Manthrams.

Hope this helps,

V.Sadagopan