You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Oct 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00178 Oct 2003

Dear Sri Sukumar, At the outset I am sorry for delay in response as I was out of station.

There is no doubt that the Lord is full of compassion and my posting is also about that only.

As far as comparing udayavar's compassion to the Lord, perhaps there may be two reasons for which we can conclude that sri rAmAnuja was more compassinate

1. The Lord had several compulsions and restrictions while granting salvation. He had to heed to sAsthra mariyAdhai - reckoning the good and bad deeds and decide accordingly. He does decide on His own even on this( veRidhEA aruL seivar, seivArgatku vugandhu), but generally by and large He goes by the good and bad deeds as per the sAsthric prescriptions. sri rAmAnuja did not have this restricitions and hence he can be more termed as compassionate.

I would like to refer thiru-voi-mozhi 4-10-6 " pORRi maRROr dheivam pENap puRath ittu, vummai innEA thEARRi vaithadhu
ellErum vEdu peRRAl vulagillai enREA...."

Edu commentary on this runs as follows: 'ellArum irundhadhE kudiyAga mOkshathaip peRRAl, lElaikku adiyAna sAsthram nirarthamAi vidum. sath karmathai paNNuvArum, asathkarmathai paNNuvArumAyiREa nAdudhAn iruppadhu;pApam paNNinavargaLum, puNNiyam paNNinavargaLudaiyaLudaiya palathai anubhavikkum anRu, sAshthra mariyAdhai kulaiyum....'

The essence of this is that the Lord has to maintain the rules framed by Him.

sri rAmAnuja did not have this restriction and hence definitely can be more liberal and freedom to do as per His will.

2. Further, we find from sri rAmAnujA's history that He threw open the philosophical studies to one and all who were interested which was earilier restricted to one-to-one study. This was out of His pure mercy.

Kindly refer to "OrAn vazhiyAi upadhEsithAr munnOAr, yErAr ethirAsar innaruLAl,
Asai udaiyOrkellam, AriyargAL kUrum enRu, pEAsi varmbu aRuthAr pin' upadhEsa rathinamAlai

Hence, rAmAnuja's compassion also had no bounds.

There is no doubt that Lord was the innermost propellor of sri rAmAnuja but should that eclipse sri rAmAnujA's great benign attitude.

We should also accept the fact that irAmAnusa nURRandhAdhi is dedicated to sri rAmAnujA by thiruvarangath amudhanAr and the prime focus was on sri rAmAnujA and him only. If I remember correctly -please correct me if I am wrong, this will fall under the category of nahi-nindhA nyAyam.

Thank you and regards
vanamamalai padmanabhan