From: MG Vasudevan <vasudevanmg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sep 28, 2007 8:39 PM
Subject: rama's food habits 2
To: srirangasri <srirangasri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tiruvenkatam <tiruvenkatam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

We saw 5 points given by sree naaradha, who taught [?] raamaayaNam to vaalmeeki - on raama - that 'Evam vidham naram'.

Now let us analyze how the 5 titles and our topic on hand are connected.

1.          dhruDa vratha: = self determined

2.          neethimaan = moralist

3.          vasee: = controller of vices, senses or viles [or can be said as va sya: = self controlled]

4.          dharmasya pari rakshithaa = guards in entirety the probity

5.          sarva saasthra arthha thathvagna: =knower of meaning and essence of all scriptures

Now let us analyse the meanings of the words with dictionary.

Point 1. The meaning for 'vratham' in Monier Williams Sanskrit English dictionary is – will, command, ordinance, law rule, obedience, function, mode or manner of life, conduct, a religious vow or practice, vow or firm purpose, resolve, practice of eating same food always – etc.

DhruDam means – firm, fixed, hard, strong, massive, tight, steady, resolute, intense etc.

So when raama is described as 'dhruDa vratha:', that means - he is very firm, intense, a hard nut to crack, resolute in his principles. I feel 'Eating a particular type of food' also is included in this. So he is strong and determined in his food habits – not a waverly person who eats whatever is available – let it be while residing in kingdom or in forest.

Point 2. The word neethi has dictionary meanings of – leading, guidance, management, conduct, prudence, moral, philosophy or precept etc. So when one is a neethimaan he will be guiding himself into and as well leading others into a particular philosophy – let it be on food habits, vegetarianism, or otherwise.

Point 3. The word vasya has meaning of 'bringing into subjection', 'making any one subject to one's will'. That means raama is capable of not only controlling himself in his own food habits but also capable of bringing others into his philosophy.

Point 4. the word 'dharma' has meanings of 'decree, statute, usage, practice, duty, right, virtue, morality, religious merit, just, according to nature, plus plus – has so much meaning.

{I remember even now, Sree Swamy Chinmayananda saying this word is so unique and exhaustive in meaning that English language adopted this word readily into its fold [said during early 70s when I regularly attended his lectures and thereby got some idea about geethaa]}.

The word 'Pari' means 'fully, abundantly, richly, fullness',

Pari rakshitha is – well guarded, kept.

So when raama is described dharmasya pari rakshitha: - that means raama follows or adheres to dharma, in its full content. That also will include his food habits as per his 'dharmic ideas.'

Point 5: The words

sarva means 'all'.

saasthram is the rule book or guidance book or tenets.

artham is meaning,

thathvagna – one who is fully knowledgeable.

So, he does not only know the saasthram at surface level, but its true meaning to the core.

That word saasthram is applied in common to all most all aspects, in general and / or in particular or specific. for we have in saasthram – for any thing and every thing there is a point to mention – raama knows that saasthram well – so it includes food habits also.

The grand conclusion is - When one is described with 5 such attributes regarding

then, can we think or imagine at the remote corner of our 'limited thinking capacity' that person, that raama – such a 'raama' - does not know about the food habits – regarding

Just for a reference, on this saasthram point, if we take "Sreemadh bhagavadh geethaa saasthram", krishNa lists out in chapter 17 slokams 7 to 10 –

aahaara: thu api sarvasya thrividhhO bhavathi priya: |

yagna:  thapa:  thathhaa dhaanam thEshaam bhEdham   imam sruNu || 17 -7

Even food of which all partake is of three kinds, according to the three

      modes of material nature. The same is true of sacrifices, austerities and

      charity. Listen, and I shall tell you of the distinctions of these.

aayuh sathva bala aarOgya sukha  preethi vivardhhanaa: |

rasyaa: snigdhhaa: sthhiraa hrudhyaa aahaaraa: saathvika priyaa: || 17- 8

kaTu amla lavaNa athi ushNa theekshNa rookshaa vidhaahina: |

aahaaraa: raajasasya srEshTaa dhu:kha sOka aamaya pradhaa: || 17 -9

yaatha yaamam gatha rasam poothi paryushitham cha yath |

udh sishTam api cha amEdhyam bhOjanam thaamasa priyam || 17- 10

meaning: Foods in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one's

      existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction. Such

      nourishing foods are sweet, juicy, fatty and palatable. Foods that are too

      bitter, too sour, salty, pungent, dry and hot, are liked by people in the

      modes of passion. Such foods cause pain, distress, and disease. Food

      cooked more than three hours before being eaten, which is tasteless,

      stale, putrid, decomposed and unclean, is food liked by people in the mode

      of ignorance.

See here, the lord does not specifically say which item of food is allowed, which item is not allowed. Here the lord says this 'taste' – in excess or moderate or less – about the time the food is prepared, produces this result etc.

So in my humble opinion, the particular 'item' of food is not the criteria – as to whether it is meat or other – vegetarian or not – and is to be identified as 'prohibited' based on the limits of taste of 'excessive' 'good' 'bad' and time of preparation. The 'item' of food is not a criteria.

I reserve my points on the present day amenities and ways to prepare and store 'food' and thereby 'how to classify' food according to bhagavadh geethaa slokams above. But just to remind – our topic is raama's food habits and not ours.

Let us continue in next post.

Dhasan

Vasudevan m.g.

--