You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Oct 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00109 Oct 2007

                               Garudapanchasathi

                                                              Of

                                                        Vedantadesika

This work comprises of 50 slokas on Sri Garuda which were composed by Desika on the command of Garuda who appeared in his dream. Desika was instructed the hayagreevamanthra by Garuda who appeared in front of him  when he chanted the garudamanthra .

Garudamanthra has five letters and Desika has correspondingly divided this sthothra into five sections. They are:

1.paravyuha varNakam-(slokas 1to8) This  describes the pararoopa, the supreme manifestation of Garuda and that the sankarshaNa, the second of the five vyuhas of the Lord, has Himself manifested as Garuda.

2.amrthaaharaNa varNakam- (slokas 9to25) This varnaka relates the episode of carrying off nectar from devaloka by garuda to free his mother from slavery.

3.naagadhamana varNakam-(slokas 26 to 35) This describes the method of subduing the serpents.

4.parishkaara varNakam ?(slokas36 to 45) This section is in praise of the serpents which  serve as the ornaments of Garuda.

5.adhbhuthavarnakam-(slokas46 to 51)- This describes the wonderful deeds of Garuda.

Desika concludes the sthothra by saying that for those who chant these slokas there will not be any fear from poisonous creatures and they will be free from illness and worries and their wishes will be fulfilled soon and they will become glorious like Garuda himself.

It is said `daivam manushyaroopena,' and hence  when Dr.Sadagopan asked me to start writing on Garudapanchasat, I took it as the divine command as everyone of my works just happen by His will and not due to any desire of mine. So I start on this vijayadasami day and hope that the Lord will shower His grace to make my effort fruitful. I also seek the good wishes of all devotees to make this a success.

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan
http://www.sadagopan.org

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia