You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00120 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear SrI Balaji Sundararajan:

I recently realized that among the purANa-s, the tAmasic purANa-s give a different version of every purANic incident that we know of, which is different from the version we get in the sAttvik purANa-s that we follow.  The sculpture you saw must correspond to a version in one of the tAmasic purANa-s.  My understanding is that bhagavAn created the tAmasic purANa-s simultaneously with the sAttvic purANa-s as part of His leelA, to provide a way to divert the non-believers.   I concur with SrImAn Sadagopan that we follow our AcArya-s as the best use of our time.  The tAmasic purANa-s have as their main objective, the praise of Siva as the supreme deity etc.

-Krishnamachari

Sadagopan <sgopan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SrI:

Dear SrI Balaji Sundararajan :
Your moving mail touched me.
There is nothing to apologize or consloe .

What you saw at the temple is  the LingOthbhavar sculpture ,
which is usually present in Siva Temples in
the West wall of Garbhagraham . This relates to
an incident described in Siva PurANam and repeately
celebrated in the ThevAram verses of NaayanmArs , who
worshipped Siva as their Supreme Lord . It is their tradition .

Overseas Sri Lankans , whose  community spirit is strong , have
built a lot of temples to suit their cultural  spiritual needs .Their special
Gods are Lord Siva , who is the leader among VishNu BhakthAs
and who has performed Prapatthi (Self-Surrender ) to SrIman
NaarAyaNan ( Sri Mantra Raaja Padha SthOthram) and KumAra
Swamy ( Skandhan/Murughan) . They come from the Kadir Kaamam Temple
tradition ( Murugan Temple tradition ) , where they worship Murughan as JyOthi .
This is their tradition . Please remember that they came from the villages of
Tamil Nadu few hundred years ago during the height of exploitative British
Colonial rule , when the British ruling class lured them to the island
on false promises to work in Tea Gardens and denied them the return
to their nome land . The conflict between the Tamil culture in a land
known for Buddhist culture ( From Emperor AsOkAs' time) and
its reverberations are still going on in Sri Lanka .

The expatriate Tamilian Srilankans are known for their exquisite Tamil
and  Saiva and KoumAra aagamams that guide their temple worship
procedures . For VaishNavAs , Dhivya Prabhandhams are the Tamil Vedams
and the two VaishNavite Aagamaas ( PaancharAthram and VikhAnasam)
are their anchors  . Each one is entitled to their way of worship based on
the PurushArTams that they  seek . All aasthikAs  share the eternal VedAs and
Upanishads although their intrepretations  are different . We as VaishNavAs
follow Bhagavath RaamAnujA's darsanam ancjored in Ubhaya VedAntham .

For VaishNavAs in general and for those who have performed SaraNAgathy
at the feet of a SadAchAryan ( Prapannan ) in particular , the Supermacy of SrIman
NaarAyaNan as the one and only Para Devathai to grant Moksham is
a core siddhAntham . Parathvam of SrIman NaarAyaNan and freedom
from BhAgavatha apachAram are central to have their Prapatthi
fulfilled . There are many things in the world that we can not
waste our time in straightening out . As PrapannAs , who have
chosen Sriman NaarAyaNan as Moksha Daayaka Mukundan ,
anya devathA worship is forbidden . One follows the dharmam of
Pathivrathai and follows an undeviating course of MahA Viswaasam
in SrIMan NaarAyaNan to gain MOksha Siddhi. If one is NOT  interested
in MOksham in this janmam itself as the final release from all our Paapams
and PuNyams , then one follows other routes . Bhagavath GithA slOkam that
you quoted is very appropriate in this context . The Charama slOkams
of the Lord during Raama , KrishNa and VarAha avathArams are  the guiding
beacons to find our way in the engulfing SamsAric darkness to Lord's
Supreme abode and to serve the dhivya dampathis there and enjoy
ParipoorNa BrhmAnandham . This is Parama PurushArTam .
That is all there is to it for VaishNavAs ! We have to lead a life of
utter respect for others without compromising an iota from
the core principles that our AchAryAs have blessed us with .
There is no time left in this short life of ours to get distracted
by distractions of any kind away from the central path shown by
our far seeing AchAryAs , who have strived for our spiritual
well being . Following the path  prepared by our SadAchAryans
and serving them to our utmost is the one and only way for
our liberation from the SamsAric sufferings !

NaarAyaNa ,  NaarAyaNa , NaarAyaNa !
Oppiliappan KOil Varadachari Sadagopan