You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00173 Sep 2004

Sep 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [SriRangaSri] Lighting of Maa ViLakku on PurattAsi SravaNam days -- Part II

Namaskarams.

Some of the below said are told by my father.

For all Bhaktakodis for whom Malayappar is Kula deivam, the Maa Vilakku is a very big occasion.  It is observed during either first or 3rd Purattasi Sanikizhamai.

On that day, the head of the family and his consort have head bath and will wear only Aachara udai.  Then the wife soaks rice in water and then dries it on a towel.  She then makes it powder (now mixies are used) and jaggery is also grounded and mixed with the powder and due to heat of the body of the person mixing it the jaggery slowly melts and starts mixing with the powder and becomes semi solid(not very liquid) and out of this a small mountain is made(replica of Ezhumalaiyanin Iruppidam) and a big hole is made in the middle and freshly made ghee is poured into it in full and a wick is placed inside it(which is considered as Perumal) and one wick is lighted from Perumal velakku and this wick is lighted with this.  During the lighting of the wick, Govinda Govinda is chanted and there is a big bhaktipravaham and deeparathi is shown welcoming Malayappar to home.

Then Suprabhatham, Lakshmi Ashtothrams, PanchaSookthams, Vishnu Sahasranamam is recited and Annamacharya keerthanas are sung or will be sung by MS(Cassette/CD).  All Nivedanams are shown to the God and all the food made on that day is only for Venkatachalapathi.

On that day, Ellorai is definitely prepared and if possible ellu podi which are the favorites of Lord Venkateswara.

Please forgive me for any miscommuncation.  Please correct me wherever I erred.

Adiyen

Kannan Thathachariar
As we always used to have elderly people at home who may not be able to go to Tirupathi after a certain age, this is enacted at home to have the darshan of the Malayappar at home and further that home is also sanctified.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links

Home Page