You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00024 Sep 2005

Sep 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear sri vaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Many a times it is said while handling persons or individuals, in particular
children, punishment is the best form of motivation. In management parlance
also, it is accepted as 'fear motivation'. Perhaps it is also added by the
management experts, that, this may not always be successful way of motivation.

This mode of 'giving punishment' has also lead to coining a proverb "adi
udhavuvadhu pOla aNNan thambi kooda udhava maattaargaL" - meaning "even
brothers may not render help like meting out a punishment.

Many a times, I used to wonder how a punishment will help better than brothers.
After attending a few management sessions, I was convinced about the
genuineness of the proverb. But always there was the other side, which was
irking me on this. Yesterday when I opened a tamil magazine, there sri kaanchi
mahaa periyavaaL had given a new dimension to this proverb. That made me to
share that new direction with you all. Hence I am sending this mail.

adi does not mean punishment.
adi means paadham - feet - kaaladi - the lord krishNa's lotus feet.

Now you read the proverb again with the new meaning -
"adi udhavuvadhu pOla aNNan thambi kooda udhava maattaargaL"
        -       if you surrender to krishNaa's feet, those feet will save you
from all your troubles
        -       like those lotus feet of krishNa, even you own brothers will
not help.

That is the real meaning for this proverb. Not the one, we had or meant or
conceived all these days, nor the theory stated above of modern management.

Just remember krishNa's charama slOkam - "maam Ekam charaNam vraja" - "maa
sucha:". When the surrender is done "yoga kshEmam aham vahaami" - I will bear
all your "yoga and kshEmam". So "adi udhavugiRadhu".

Now link that to the oft repeated kuRal
paRRuga paRRaRRaan paRRinai appaRRai
paRRuga paRRu vidaRku
meaning: Catch hold of the feet of that lord who has no desires, for you to get
relieved of the desires.

here the word paRRu is used as
1. a noun meaning  paRRu - adi - paadham - feet,
2. another noun paRRu - aasai - desire
3. verb paRRu - catch or get a hold on those feet of the lord.

That is what is said in that adi in the proverb. So dear bhakthaas, Hereafter
whenever you use this proverb, think of the proverb in the new light and not
the old stuff, thereby get that eeswara smaraNai always.

 Dhasan

 Vasudevan m.g.

DISCLAIMER:
  L&T ECC Division.This Message and any attachments is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential.Email generated from this domain (lntecc.com) is
an information asset.Any use not in accord with its Purpose or any
dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is violation. Any misuse
will not be tolerated.However note that this will not infringe on any
copyright\agreements made by L & T ECC with our clients, JV and partners for
our business continuance.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/XUWolB/TM