You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00065 Sep 2005

Sep 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all,

After PeriyAzhwAr anubhavams, let us now continue on
his darling daughter GodhA PiraaTTi?s Naacchiyaar
Thirumozhi verses... on ThiruvEnkatam? [I ahve also
made use of the most wonderful translation of Srimathi
Kalyani Krishnamachari]

 matta nan naRu malar murukka malar koNDu
         muppOdu munnaDi vaNangi
       tattuvamili enRu nenju erindu
         vAcakattazhittu unnai vaidiDAmE
       kottalar poonkaNai toDuttuk koNDu
          gOvindan enbadOr pErezhudi
       vittakan vEnkaTa vANan ennum
          viLakkinil puga ennai vidikkiRRiyE 1.3

KAmadEvA, I worship your respected feet three times a
day with white flowers that please you such as
oomattam and murukkam (palASam) flowers. Please unite
me with my lover. You have a reputation that you are
the expert in uniting lovers together with your flower
arrows; don't lose this reputation. Do not give room
for anyone to be able to say that you are a powerless
god and can't be trusted. Make an arrow with bunches
of blossoming flowers, and, meditating on GovindA's
auspicious name, please make me merge with the light
called SrI vEnkaTa vANan, who is known for His
soulabhyam and kalyANa guNAs.

Thus, in this pASuram ANDAL is praying that kAman
should quickly aim his arrow and unite her with the
Light called tiruvenkatamudaiyAn, and ensure that
there is no room for being called a powerless god who
can't fulfil the prayers of those who worship him.
PeriyavAccAn piLLai points out that godhai who is used
to gathering tuLasi leaves, is now going after the
kinds of flowers that are consistent with the rajo
guNam typical of one in love.
Here AndAL collects the flowers that are pleasing to
manmathan. A daughter of PeriyAzhwAr, who herself is
like the thuLasi [Kesava priya] who is meant for Him
alone and who needs to collect only thuLasi and offer
to only Krishna is now collecting some ordinary
flowers and that too for manmathan.

Because, her love and languishing for Krishna is so
intense and viraha thaapam is so much that she asks
every other one to let her be united with KaNNan. Here
she pleads manmathan [as he was the one who sacrificed
himself for the sake of letting Parvathi join Rudran
and got himself burnt by him].
When we go to meet someone or need something from
someone, we need to offer that which pleases them and
not us; here manmathan?s flowers that please him are
oomattham and palAsam and hence she offers the same.
This is similar to NammAzhwAr telling the crane that
if you go and tell the Lord that I am suffering and
waiting from Him, I would give you fish. [also when we
go to pay our obeisance to Acharyan, we should offer
at His feet, what pleases him and not ours].

AndAL ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan