You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00140 Sep 2005

Sep 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Title: One Doubt !
SrI:

Dear Sriman Seshadri:

Thank you for your question .
I will share it with the other groups I moderate .
I am sure you would not mind . Also , some one might
have a better answer .

I can only make a guess (Yukthi Vaadham ) on this practise of VaishNavAs .

Camphor is a phenolic compound , which sublimes quickly on heating
and produces a lot of soot (thick smoke) , which on close inhalation is not
good . ArchakAs use it for Thattu sambhAvanA . It is a livelihood issue for them .
VaishNavAs partake only Theerttha , TuLasi PrasAdham  and SaThAri .
Typically in uthsavams , the burning Karpooram is thrown away on ground
after Aaratthi .

If you look inside the garbhagraham , where an year's haaratthi's residue can be
seen on the inside . It would eb very black in the inside walls . That is why Koil
Suddhi is done at Thirumalai Garbha gruham four times a year . Where they wash
the walls with turmeric water miced with unburnt camphor .

VaishNavAs , who did YaagAms (SoamyAjis) had Agni on their hands .
They will not bless with their hands for fear of causing harm to the one ,
who is being blessed . We do not find such YajvAs these days . They
did exist . That was another reason . VaidhigAgni on the palm is not
directed at the Haaratthi agni .

V.Sadagopan