You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Sep 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00253 Sep 2005

Sep 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:

Dearest all,

After PeriyAzhwAr anubhavams, let us now continue on
his darling daughter GodhA PiraaTTi?s Naacchiyaar
Thirumozhi verses... on ThiruvEnkatam? [Extracted from
the most wonderful translation of Smt Kalyani
Krishnamachari based on Sri Sadagopan Swamin?s
treatise and acharyas? commentaries.]  Let us enjoy
the last two verses from AndAL on
Thiuruvenkatamudaiyaan now? we had the introduction of
the fifth verse of tenth decad yesterday.

Let us enjoy the verse 10.5 today?

paadum kuyilgaaL! Ithenna
  paadal,n^al vEngada
 naadar namakkoru vaazhvuthan^
  thaalvanthu paadumin,
 aadum karuLak kodiyudai
  yaarvan^ tharuLceythu,
 kooduva raayidil koovin^um
  paattugaL kEttumE.     10. 5

In the fifth pASuram, ANDAL looks at a cuckoo singing
happily on top a tree in tirumAlirum cOlai malai. The
cuckoo s song sounds horrible to godai because of her
state of mind. So, she gets mad at the cuckoo and
says: Why do you make such a noise? What kind of song
are you singing? Is this a song? If emperumAn, who is
the Lord of tiruvEnkaTam comes and gives me a life,
then, you can come and sing. If my
tiruvEnkaTamuDaiyAn, who is having garuDan in His
flag, comes and unites with me out of compassion, then
I shall call you and both of us will listen to your
melodious music together and thus honor you.

Sri Periya Vaacchaan Pillai enjoys in this
vyaakhyaanam:

pADum kuyilgAL! Idenna pADal?: You sang when He and I
were together once. You have been singing ever since.
But, from where did you choose this song today that
falls in my ears like fire?

kuyilgAL: The plural here suggests that every one of
the cuckoos is singing without exception. Even in
rAvaNa s goshThi, there was one exception who was a
dharmAtmA viz. vibhIshaNa - vibhIshaNastu dharmAtma na
tu rAkshasa ceshTita: (rAmAyaNam AryaNya kANDam
17-24). But in the goshThi of the cuckoos, there is
not a single cuckoo which is good, and takes pity on
godai by not singing while she is suffering.

Idenna pADal: Why are you singing the same song that
you sang when I was together with Him earlier? Is this
for torturing me even more intensely by reminding me
of the time when I was united with Him? This is like
applying sandalwood paste after setting fire on either
side. In the previous pASuram, the sight of the mullai
flowers was like fire being setting on one side of
godai. In the next pASUram, she will be tortured by
the sight of the beautiful peacocks which will be like
setting fire on the other side of godai. The song of
the cuckoos in this pASuram is like trying to apply
sandalwood on her body to appease her after setting
fire on both sides of her.

Idenna pADAl: Am I in a position to hear this song
now? I am suffering from the pangs of separation from
my beloved emperumAn. Just as fire will destroy the
place it is in, in addition to anything else that is
in that place, your song will destroy you also in
addition to destroying me. You wicked birds! The fact
that you are not yet destroyed suggests that you are
short of hearing .

nal vEnkaTa nADar namakku oru vAzhvu tandAl vandu
pADumin: If they cannot sing this song now, when can
they sing? Godai gives the answer: Just as small
streamlets appear before full-fledged flooding occurs
in a river, there are good signs that suggest that He
is going to come; He has already left the
hard-to-reach paramapadam and arrived at the
easy-to-access tiruvE nkaTam with His flying
garuDakkoDi. This must be just a stop-over before He
arrives at SrIvilliputtUr to bless ANDAL. So, when He
comes and gives me the life with Him that I seek, then
you can come and sing .

namakku oru vAzhvu tandAl: My indriya-s are not in a
position to enjoy music or any such entertainment at
this time - (en aimpulanum ezhilum koNDu - periya
tirumozhi 7.5.9 He has taken away the power of my
indriya-s). If He gives me a life such that my ears
can bear to hear music, then you can sing at that
time.

vandu pADumin: I cannot even stand your presence now;
just get out of here. You can come back later when
needed . Remember how godai threatened to drive the
cuckoo out of her grove earlier if the kuyil does not
get Her vEnkaTavan (mannu perum pugazh pASuram 5.9.]

ADum garuLak koDi uDaiyAr: ADum refers to both a
joyous mood and motion. GaruDa is moving with
emperumAn all the time, and is happy to be united with
Him all the time in his nitya vibhUti. Unlike this,
godai feels that all His other creations around her
and including her are His leelA vibhUti-s, which are
meant to suffer because of separation from Him.

SrI kRshNasvAmi aiyangAr observes that this is similar
to nammAzhvAr s feeling that all the other things in
this world (like the nArai etc.)., are also pining for
Him and suffering like Him vAyuntiraiyugaL
(tiruvAimozhi 2.1.1).

ADum garuLak koDi: In places where water is kept for
public drinking, sometimes there will be a device (SAi
karam) which brings water within the range of the
mouth of the thirsty person. Similarly emperumAn has
His garuDan who brings Him to those who thirst for
Him.

vandu aruL Seidu kUDuvarAyil:
Even though godai is longing for Him passionately, in
godai s case the only appropriate event is that He
should bless her by coming to her Himself, not the
other way. Consistent with her paratantra svarUpam,
she cannot be the one to initiate this union. He has
to come out of great love and unite with godai.
[Compare nammAzhvAr s tiruvAimozhi 8-8-3 en uNarvin
uLLE iruttinEn aduvum avanadu innaruLE ] If she
initiates this union against His will, it is bound to
not materialize anyway. Her initiating a union with
Him against His Will is like someone who accepts a
dAnam of gold whose purpose is to reduce the recipient
s lifetime, and then making a gold ring out of it and
enjoying this while the person is going to die soon
anyway.

The proper way to reach Him is by performing
kainkaryam to Him no matter what state we are in. This
is what bhagavad rAmAnuja prays to Lord in SaraNAgati
gadyam that ultimately He wants the bhAgyam to do
nitya kainkaryam to Him after doing prapatti and
reaching paramapadam. Kainkaryam to perumAL is like
the sweet sugarcane juice for a prapanna. Some may
argue that SiSupAla committed lot of sins, and still
ended up in paramapadam. But our AcAryas have clearly
pointed out that this is not the way to get to
paramapadam. SrI AlavandAr's aruLicceyal is that
SiSupAlan was thrown to the gates of paramapadam with
His cakrAyudham just so SiSupAlan will be removed
forever from this world and would not have the chance
to ruin others by making them kRshNa-dveshi s. This is
not the way to reach paramapadam; it should be because
of our genuine and intense desire to reach Him and for
Him to cause it by His Will and His Blessing.

Here SrI Periya Vaachaan Pillai gives another episode
to show that our AcArya-s have indirectly blessed
their Sishya-s sometimes to just avoid their causing
harm to others. SrI bhaTTar had a student named periya
dEvap piLLai, who was constantly chiding everyone in
his house. Once SrI bhaTTar sent him to a nearby
village on an errand. SrI nanjIyar remarked: Now that
he has left the house for some time, the people in his
house do not have to listen to his chidings any more
for a while. SrI bhaTTar s aruLic ceyal was: On second
thoughts, rather than letting him loose and giving him
a chance to chide everyone in the town under the guise
of being our Sishyan and thus bringing dishonor to us,
it is better to keep him with us here even though he
belittles us through his actions. From then on, he
kept this Sishya with him permanently.

kUvi: ANDAL says she will call these cuckoos when she
needs them viz. when she is together with emperumAn.

Anubhavams from SrI Prathivaadhi Bhayankaram
aNNangarachar Swami:

Wherever ANDAL turned, she saw the flowers or fruits
(kArrkoDal, mEl tOnRi,kOvai, mullai); so, she closed
her eyes to avoid their himsai. But, now, she is
hearing the sound of the cuckoos and she is asking
them to stop singing because she cannot close her
ears.

ADum garuLak koDi uDaiyAr vandu kUDuvar Agil: The
cuckoos may ask how they will know when vEnkaTanAthan
will come and give her life and when they can come and
sing. For this godai s response is that they can know
that just by looking at the dancing garuLak koDi
indicating His arrival.

kUvi num pATTugaL kETTumE: Even if they do not
recognize it, she will invite them and listen to their
music.

Abhinava Desika SrI UttamUr Veeraraghavchariar swamy?s
wondreful divine anubhavams:

ANDAL had encountered flowers and fruits so far in
this tirumozhi. She could not ask them to cease
existing, nor could she tell them not to flower or
grow. But she could tell these cuckoos to stop
singing, and so this is what she is doing.

pADal: SrI UV continues to develop the anubhavam that
ANDAL is becoming more and more friendly with
everything around her. By the use of the word pADal,
she is praising the cuckoos for their melodious voice.

Idenna pADal: Even though the cuckoo is singing, in
ANDAL s state of mind, it does not appeal to her, and
so she is asking What kind of song is this?

SrI UttamUr Swami also paints a beautiful picture
here, playing with the word ADum .
My emperumAN, vEnkaTanAthan is a very good Lord; His
abode, vEnkaTam is also a good place. He has
acknowledged me somehow and I am sure to get some good
life because of His grace. Then, you can come here and
sing for us. For now, you can go there and sing for
Him. He has come to vEnkaTam only to come to me in
SrIvilliputUr; He will listen to your song and start
dancing and faltering. garuDan will also be surprised
at that and start dancing; he will make Him get on top
of him and happily bring Him here; when He comes, He
will definitely bless me and unite with me; then, you
can come here to sing; you can try to make Him come
faster by your singing when He is coming. Even if you
don t come, I will invite you to come and sing for us.
We will listen to your song, enjoy and dance with
delight. [Divine, isn?t it?]

AndAL ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana