You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2002

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00006 Nov 2002

ChithrabhAnu Kaarthikai Krishna Paksha panchami, Poosam

SrI:

Dear BhakthAs:

Let us enjoy the fourth slOkam of Sri DEvanAyaka
PanchAsath today:

SlOkam IV
***********
Maathas-thvamBuruhavAsini kimchidhEtath
vij~npyathE mayi kurushva taTA prasAdham
AakarNayishyathi yaTA VibhudhEswarastE
prEyanasou pruTuka jalpithavan madhukthim

Extended Meaning
*****************
Swamy Desikmn makes a moving appel to the dhivya
KaruNAmayi, SrI HEmAbhjavalli ThAyAr , the divine
consot of DEvanAyaka PerumAL of ThiruvahIndhrapuram
in this slOkam . In the previous slOkam , Swamy Desikan
made reference to the sacred utterances (sUnrutha
ukthi) of ancient bards like Sage ValmIki and pinted out
their Ukthis had Vedic base . Here , Swamy Desikan
refers to his own utterings ( Madh Ukthi)and appeals
to his most compassionate Mother to treat them as
the lisps and prattlings (Mazhalai sol ) of a baby
and plead for him with Her powerful Lord , who
will never ignore Her recommendations .

Swamy Desikan sayshere : " Oh Mother , who resides on
the red lotus flower ! adiyEn has to bring to Your attention
a small matter (i-e)., adiyEn has commenced my effort to
eulogize Your Lord , DEvanAyakan. Out of His affection for
You , He will not brush aside any pleas/requests that You make.
You must intercede with Him to accept this sthOtram of
adiyEn with compassion even if it is full of blemishes ,
just as a father joyously enjoys the lispy prattlings of
his child . You should make Him listen to my prattlings
(sthOthram ) in this mode. Oh Mother HEmAbhja Valli!
You must bless adiyEn with this boon .

Additional Thoughts
********************
Swamy Desikan pleads for a boon with HEmAbjavalli
ThAyAr this way : " Ambhuruha Vaasini ! Maatha !
Thvam mayi prasAdham kurushva! yEtath kimchith
vij~nApyathE " . He actully asks for a PrasAdham .
Swamy Desikan wishes to be the PrasAdha pAthram
(object of the favor). PrasAdham refers to any thing
offered to the Lord . PrasAdhanam means free from
impurities . Swamy Desikan seeks the prasAdham
of the Lord's svIkaraNam (acceptance )of his sthOthram
even if it had blemishes and asks for His divine
consort's intercession in this matter to acquire
a favorable result. He asks Her to present his poetic
naivEdhyam to Her Lord , make Him joyously accept it
using Her own influence over Him and return to him
that prasAdham . This is adiyEn's little plea
( yEtath kimchith vij~pyathE). You are so dear to
Him and He is pulled towards You through His
affection for You ( thE preyAn asou VibhudhEswara:
YaTA aakarNayishyathi). Please use Your abundant
influence over Your Lord and make Him accept my
jalpanam ( babblings , prattlings , garrulous
speech) which takes the form of a sthOthram
about Your Lord. Please ask Him to accept it
as His child's incoherent babbling ( Madh ukthim
pruTuka jalpithavath YaTA aakarNayishyathi)
Your Lord may not pay attention and may
not choose to hear my prattle .You should help
to make Him listen to my blemish filled babbling
with intent and affection just as a Father
would listen to his child's mazhalai .This is
the prasAdham that I seek from You ! PurushakAra
Samarpanam is made here to recieve the PrasAdham
from the Lord by Swamy Desikan .

Swamy Desikan ThiruvadigaLE saraNam ,
SrI Taranga Mukha Nandini SamEtha SrI DeavanAyaka SwAminE nama:
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan/SaThakopan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list