You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Oct 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00111 Oct 2003

SrI:

(12) The clarity obtained from AchArya UpadEsam
This Paasuram is from the ChillaRai Rahasyam of Rahasya Maathrukai

In this world , the Moon chases away darkness with his rays. In a similar
manner, our AchAryAs banish the darkness of our aj~nAnam through
their upadEsams on VedAnthams. adiyEn is revealing those upadEsams
recieved from my AchAryAs in the same way they did on the prAkArams
(aspects) of EmperumAn , which are beyond our direct comprehension .

(13) The powerful Meanings , which nourish& uplift the Aathmaa
This Paasuram is from the ChillaRai Rahasyam of Rahasya Maathrukai also.

We stand blessed with the sacred feetof the servants of the servants of Lord
RanganAtha on our head , whose chest is the permanent abode of MahA Lakshmi
(SrI RanganAyaki) with Her golden Thiruvadis.Empowered by this bhAgyam , we
revealed the meanings of the three rahasyams , which are the embodiment of
Aanandham (Bliss).  These51 meanings will not only protect the body (sarIram)
like nectar but will also protect the uyir (aathmA).

(14) The Svaroopam of the JeevAthmA
This Pasuram is from Rahasya SandEsam

I , the JeevAthmA recognize other vasthus with my dharma bhUtha Jn~Anam
(attributive knowledge) and do not need the help of any other Jn~Anam to know
me and shine as Jn~Ana Svaroopan .I am thus different from the insentients(achEthanam).
I am the servant of SrIman NaarAyaNan at all times , places and states. I do not
claim properitorship over any vasthu.I have performed SaraNAgati at the nectarine
feet of the Lord propelled by my desire toserve Him at SrI Vaikuntam without
interruption (Nithya kaimkaryam) .

(15) The Glories of Prapatthi
       ***************************
Swamy  Desikan 's own commentary on this Rahasya Sandesam Paasuram
is housed in Rahasya SandEsa VivaraNam .

Our AchAryAs are filled with SadAchAram and auspicious attributes.
With the power and glory of Prapatthi , our limitless bundles of sins have
been burnt to ashes like the bales of cotton thrown into the fire. We stay waiting
for the falling of this karma sarIram thatgrows ajn~Anam more and more
until we reach Parama Padham at the time ordained by our Lord so that
we can commence our nithya kaimkaryam to Him at His Supreme
abode.We are convinced that we will never ever be born in this
karma bhUmi again .

(16) The gains arising from the UpadEsam of our AchAryAs
This Paasuram is from Tatthva RathnAvaLi .

The most merciful SarvEswaran is filed with DayA to confer on the Jeevan
limitless fruits in response to our Prapatthi. We have banished our  ignorance
(ajn~Anam) through the upadEsam of our AchAryAs , who have clear comprehension
about the Svaroopam and SvabhAvanm of our Lord.We have chased away the lowliness
associated with us until the UpadEsams of AchAryAs happened and have gained now
the glory of knowledge about the Tatthvams.

(17) The Eternal Truth spoken by VedAnthams
This Paasuram is also form Tatthva RathnAvaLi

VedAnthams declare with one voice : (1) SrIman NaarAyaNan is Superior
to every one (2) We are His eternal servants (3) We as ChEthanams and
the Prapancham as achEthanms are His body.Our AchAryas instructed us
on these enduring and unassailable truths and blessed us to lose our
ajn~Anam and gain VisEsha Jn~Anam about these Tatthvams .

(18) The Removal of the burden ( Bharam ) from Prapannan
This Paasuram is from Rahasya RathnAvaLi.

Our AchAryAs , who clearly understand the doctrines of ArTa Panchakam ,
SareerAthma BhAvam and the knowledge aboutSrIman NaarAyaNan being
the sole means (upAyam ) for our protection instructed us on these doctrines
and placed our AathmAs at His sacred feet.Our Lord out of His infinite compassion
responding to the recommendation of His Divine consort accepted immediately
the responsibilities for protecting us. Ifwe want to gain Moksham today , He is
willing to bless us with that boon.We willnever have another birth.There is nothing
for us to do anymore for upliftment ( We will only continue to do our nithya karmAs
assigned to us by our SaasthrAs; beyond that there is nothing to be done for
our upliftment). All the happines and sorrows that come our way during
the post-prapatthi days are for our benefit (anukoolam).

ArTa Panchakam represents the Five meanings about : (1) EmperumAn
(2) Jeevan (3) UpAyam for Moksham (4) Phalan of Moksham and (5) the enemy
of that Phalan.

SareerAthmabhAva Sambhandham: The relationship between the Bhagavan as
the indweller ( AathmA) for the ChEthanam and AchEthanams and the latter two
serving the SarIram (body) for the Lord.

(19) Prapannan comforting his mind
       ************************************
This Paasuram is also from Rahasya RathnAvaLi .

Oh My Mind! Our AchAryAs do not seek insignificant fruits ( alpa Phalan).
They can not bear with the sufferings of others and rush to erase those
sorrows .They have placed our AthmAs at the sacrd feet of our Lord for
protection .He has responded speedily and accepted that plea .He will
prevent us from rebirths in the karma bhUmi and assure our stay in
His eternal abode of SrI Vaikuntam. Oh My Mind! While all these good fortunes
are coming your way , why are you not happy ? Please listen carefully what
I am going to say to you that is good for you as long as you are going to
be here on this karma bhUmi.If you cultivate the thinking that al the kaimkaryams
done until your body falls down is not in waste , then you will gain the fruits of
kaimakryams in Parama padham will be enjoyed right here .If you perform
these kaimakryams prescribed by SaasthrAs with sraddhai, then you will not be
exposed to trespasses like BHaagavatha apachAram. VisEsha Jn~Anam
will also grow.

(20)  Criticism of the other SiddhAnthams
This Paasuram is from Rahasya RathnAvaLi Hrudhayam.

In this rahasyam with 30 sentences , we have described the  essence of
all VedAnthams.From here on , the distortions caused by other incorrect
philosophies associated with BhouddhAs , JainAs , ChArvAkAs , SaankyAs ,
SaivAs , TaarkikAs will not raise their head.Please incorporate this rahasyam
firmly in your minds and banish your aj~nAnam.

(21) Destruction of the other ( Veda-Baahya) Mathams
This Paasuram is also from Rahasya RathnAvaLi Hrudhayam.

In this world , a mother would only seek the well being of her
son , even if the son hates her.She wont abandon her child.
Similarly , our Lord protects us out of His sahaja (natural)
kAruNyam even if we push Him away .He takes His abode in
our hearts and protects us from there . Wehave released
in this rahasya grantham the svaroopam and SvabhAvam of
SarvEswaran as we heard them from our AchAryAs.If any one
who contests our siddhAntham with our AchAryAs as the thorn
in the flesh , then they will be defeated and will be helpless
to defend themselves like the helpless fox caught in the middle of
a great flood.

(22) The tranquility of the mind that has recieved AchAryan's UpadEsam
This Paasuram is also from Rahasya RathnAvaLi Hrudhayam.

Our Lord , who has accepted the responsibility of destroying
the enmies of His BhAgavathAs has adorned Sudarsana chakram
in His hand for that purpose.For those BhagavathAs , AchAryan performs
upadEsams  on staying away from committing sins.That helpful AchAryan is to be
recognized as the well meaning Father.The upadEsams on the rahasya
arTams are like the treasures saved for the BhaagavathAs.The mind of
the Bhaagvathan housing the eight guNams based on the meanings of these
rahasyams is like his caring , beloved wife.The enemies for that mind are
SarIrAthma Bramam ( confusion over body and soul) , SvatanthrAthma
Bramam ( confusion that the jeevAthmA can take care of its own protection).
The 11 Indhriyams under the control of themind are the weapons for
the destruction of the above two Bramams.

The descriptions of the 8 guNams of the mind and the 11 Indriyams
are given in Desika Prabhandha Paasurams 51, 84 and 145).

(23) The way the AchAryans blessed us withVedAntha Saaram
This Paasuram is from Tatthva Thraya chuLakam: AchEthnAdhikAram

The entire body of waters destroyed by theLord during the time of
deluge and later released by the Lord during srushti kaalam was
taken up in the cupped palm of Sage Agasthya and consumed in one sip.
Similarly , our AchAryAs housed all the essence of VedAnthams
in their minds.They took interest in us and performed upadEsams
on these VedAntha Saarams for the removal of our bonds of KarmAs
and for our upliftment through such upadEsams.

(24) Description of AchEthanams
       **********************************
This Paasuram is also from Tatthva Thraya ChuLakam: AchEthanAdhikAram

Prakruthi, Kaalam , Suddha Satthvam are the three achEthnams.In this triad ,
the Moola Prakruthi with its three guNams of Satthvam, Rajas and Tamas
enters and subdivides them in to Prakruthi, Vikruthi and Prakruthi-Vikruthi
first and then in to 24 further divisions based on the latter. Kaalam however
does not possess the three guNams ( Sathva, Rajas and Tamas).It splits in
its own way in to many units of Time. The variations of Sudha Sathvam appear
as SrI Vaikuntam and the objects found there.All these three achEthanams
( insentients) are the body of the Lord and do not have Jn~Anam of their own .

(25) The actions to be taken by the Jeevanfor its upliftment(Salvation)
This Paasuram is fromTatthva Thraya ChuLakam: JeevAdhikAram.

MamakAram is the feeling state, when  identifies an object as his own.
He says this is mine.The feeling state that identifies the aathmAas
the same as SarIram is ahankAram.The thought that one is an independent
entity with power to protect oneself is known as the delusion of
SvatantrArTa Bramam.All of the above three feeling states have to
be destroyed utterly , if one desires salvation.One should present
the three items( One's Svaroopam , the burden of protecting oneself
and the fruits of such protection ) to the Lord and utterly cut asunder
the relationship to the three with the jeevan for one's Moksham.

(To Be Continued )

Swamy  Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Oppiliappan KOil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

Home Page