You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00126 Nov 2003

SrI:

Dear Swamy  Desika BhakthAs:

In this posting , adiyEn will cover two Paasurams( 88-89) of
Desika Prabhandham , which is the 49th and the 50th Paasurams of
AdhikAra Sangraham.

88) Hesitation of ChEthanam to seek Moksham
***************************************
The key passage in this Paasuram is about Lord's laughter about
our putting off our desire to seek His Supreme abode and wanting to
hang on to this SamsAric world instead to enjoy its persihable "pleasures" :

" Mutthi tara munnE tOnRi nall ninaivAl nAmm isayum kAlam
   inRO naaLayO yenRu nahai seyhinrAn "

Our Lord has incarnated in many forms to grant us Moksham
and is waiting for us to seek His protection .While waiting for us
to gain the auspicious Jn~Anam to seek the journey to His Supreme
abode , He is making fun (parihAsam) of our indecision to take
that decision and questions  with humor : "Is it today or would that be
tomorrow that you will decide to perfom the upAya anushtAnam ? "

(Meaning of the entire Paasuram ): No one can overcome the will
(sankalpam) of our Lord. He creates all kinds of desires in those
who do not try to reach Him and display enimity towars Him .
He interferes with their ability to enjoy those bhOgams that
they  desire . Our  Lord of this disposition has showered
His grace on us already and destroyed our longing for
SamsAra BhOgams .He has  now accepted us as objects of protection
to enjoy  the shade of His sacred feet. He has banished
His earler anger over our previous trespasses. He has taken
many avathArams to mix with us as Parama soulabhyan and to
grant us mOksha sukham . Inspite of all these special efforts on
His part, we who do not recognize His extraordinary grace
and compassion keep postponing the performance of SaraNAgathy
to realize Moksham from one day to the other . Our Lord laughs over
our ignorance , procrastrination and ineptitude .

For His enemies that do not cherish Him ( Tannai NaNNAthAr) ,
He creates all kinds of desires in them ( ninaivu anaitthum Taann
ViLayitthu) and then prevents them from enjoying those desires
that they covet ( Taann viLaitthum vilakkum NaaTan). For us
whom He has decided to protect from the SamsAric horror  ,
He has eliminated our taste for the non-lasting and pain-yielding
SamsAric "pleasures" ( ibbhavatthil yemm ninyaivai mARRi )
and has placed us as objects of protection under His sacred
pair of feet ( iNayadikkeezh adaikkalam yenRu yemmai vaitthu).
He has now forgotten or gotten over His anger over our previous
trespasses and is ready to grant us His protection (munn ninayivAl
yAmm muyanRa vinayAl vantha munivu ayarnthu). He waits to see
when that day would be for us to elect to seek His rakshaNam .
He has taken many avathArams already to grant us Moksham
( Muthti tara munnE thOnRi) and He is amused at our
delay/procrastrination and makes fun of us by asking whether
He has to wait until today ( the end of the day) or until tomorrow
for us to make up our mind as a result of the dawning of the clear
Jn~Anam that would propel us to perform the SaraNAgathy
( Mutthi tara munnE thOnRi , nall ninayvAl nAmm isayum
kAlam inRo nALayO yenRu nahai seyhinRAn ).

The Lord laughs over the thought that He has rushed
to grant Moksham to the chEthanam and that chEthanam
does not wish to forsake the SamsAric pleasures  toseek
the Moksham. That chEthanam keeps on postponing
the day for seeking Moksham from today to tomorrow
and onwards. Our Lord laughs over the ineptitude and
ignorance of the ChEthanam , which can not make up its
mind.

89) The help of the Mudhal AzhwAr
****************************
During DhvApara Yugam , our Lord indirectly provided
additional help to the chEthanams to rush towards Him
to seek Moksham from Him . During the course of a rainy night
at His dhivya dEsam of ThirukkOvaloor , Our Lord  got Poygai,
BhUtham and PEy AzhwArs together in the tight space of
an idaikazhi (dEhaLi) and pressed them there to have
their physical contact ( dEha sambhandham ) and for witnessing
the birth of the three AndhAthis from the three AzhwArs .
The andhAthis of the AzhwArs lit the lamp of true knowledge
(Sathya dheepam) to chase away the darkness of aj~nAnam
that had enveloped the world. The lamp lit by the AzhwArs
in front of the Lord and His divine consort glorified
the UpAyams of Bhakthi and Prapatthi yOgams
celebrated by the Vedams.

This Paasuram is about AchArya KruthyAdhikAram
  Topic of the 30th Chapter of SrImath Rahasya Thraya Saaram ).

This 89th Paasuram should be remembered especially
on this Iyppasi Satabhishak day , the day of avathAram
of PEy AzhwAr:

Paattukku-uriya pazhayavar moovaraip-paNDu-oruk-kaal
Maattukku aruL tarum Maayan malinthu varutthathalAl
nAttukku iruL seha nAnmaRai anthi nadai viLanga
veettukku idaikkazhikkE veLikAttu,ammeyviLakkE

(meaning): SarvEswaran caused the Mudhal AzhwArs
to sing their ThiruvandhAthis to banish the nescience that shrouded
the world and through their andhAthis instructed us on the UpAyams
like Bhakthi and Prapatthi for our upliftment from SamsAric sufferings .

" Paattukku uriya Pazhayavar moovar" are the triad of AzhwArs ,
who are the most qualified for singing the Lord's  vaibhavam .

"mAttukku aruL tarum Maayan " is the Lord of wonderous deeds ,
who showers His grace on His property, the ChEthanams .

"nAttukku iruL seha" describes the purpose of the Lord
empowering the Mudhal AzhwArs to sing their Prabhandhams :
it was to destroy the darkness of ajn~Anam that prevailed in
the world .

What did the Mudhal AzhwArs do  and how did they banish
the surrounding darkness? They lit a lamp of Sathyam  to
eliminate the darkness of nescience.

What did that lamp do besides chasing away the darkness of
ajn~Anam ? It shed light all around and glorified the means
(upAyams) for the performance of SaraNAgathy (Bhakthi & Prapatthi
yOgams) at the sacred feet of the Lord (nAnn muRai anthi nadai
viLanga veLikkAttum).

Swamy  Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

Srimate Sri Laksminrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka
SrivaNN Satakopa Sri Narayana Yatindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM