You are here: SriPedia - RaamaBhakthi - Archives - May 2004

RaamaBhakthi List Archive: Message 00005 May 2004

May 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

----- Original Message -----
From: "M.G.Vasudevan" <mgv@xxxx>
To: <oppiliappan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <srirangasri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 7:05 AM
Subject: [SriRangaSri] hunger - post 2

> Dear sri vaishnava perunthagaiyeer,
>
> Continuing the discussions / study on the hunger, we saw five levels of
hunger [needs] and 5 paasurams expressing how the hunger [need] gets
satisfied. Now let us see one more dimension of the hunger. Just suggest
what way this hunger [need] can be classified or can be placed in which of
the 5 category we discussed.

> aayiram kaNNudai indhiranaarukku enRu aayaar vizhaveduppa
> paasana nalla bandigaLaal pugappeidha adhanai ellaam
> pOi irundhu angu oru boodha vadivu koNdu un magan inRu nangaai
> maayan adhanai ellaam muRRavaari vaLaiththu uNdirundhaan pOlum
> 10 -7- 7 thirumangai aazhvaar in periya thirumozhi
>
> See here - the food is prepared for some body. That food was offered to
some body else. The third person eats all that food. Fourth person observes
these and complains to the third person's mother that your son had eaten
even though he is a child [at that stage] all those large quantities of
food.

> What kind of hunger is this? What kind of need or what a way to satisfy?
Perhaps the answer lies in that one word - available in the fourth line -
"maayan". Oh krishNa - what can we say more.

> When you want some food to eat, someone arrives at your door with food in
his or her hand. But he throws the food at your head, or dashes it in front
of you insultingly. Will you eat that food? I hope the answer will be a
definite 'NO' from all without exception.

> For there are 3 ways or types of satisfying the hunger is presented now.
> 1. First type - The food may not be delicious, but because you are very
hungry you gobble it up. Thus and then you feel satisfied.
> 2. Second type - You are not actually hungry, but the item is your
favorite one, as well item is deliciously prepared and courteously served to
you. You still eat it because of the taste.
> 3. Third type - You are really hungry. Also the food is deliciously
prepared according to the rules of purity, delicacy, also offered to the
lord and then served to you as prasaadham. While serving a motherly love is
added and with a lot of respect also. You naturally have a go at that food
[or prasaadham] with all relish.

> Life should not be lived inconsistently, chaotically, or blindly and for
the sake of food. It should be disciplined in such a way that the
neutralization of the hunger - energy through satisfaction can result in a
more evolved state of life. The result of an evolved state of life is the
rise of another type of hunger, the hunger of the mind.

> Since human beings are not just bodies, there is another dimension to it.
Along with the body, the mind, intellect, heart, and soul also exist. For
physical health, first the real physical hunger has to be recognized. This
real hunger has to be fed by right food, full of nourishment, with
appropriate vitamins. More important than this, it should be sathvic.

> In the same way for psychological health, the hunger of the mind and
intellect have to be satisfied with materials produced by those who have
attained a reasonably good level of god realization or saakshaathkaaram in
their life. [I feel the lists through which you read this mail serve that
purpose in a good measure to provide these materials from realized souls].

> If you don't have hunger of the mind, you are not actually healthy. It was
the goal of the life and the realized souls were working hard for it. This
is like sattvic food for the mind. If you do not relish such literary
materials from these minds, then, can you be considered psychologically
healthy? How one relishes the food offered with love and respect, similarly
this wanting of 'love and respect' is also the reflection of a healthy state
of 'hunger' of the mind. Enlightenment is the perfection of psychological
health.

> Now we will see a point of hunger connected with hanumaan. Sri Hanuman as
a child leaps into space, conceiving the rising sun to be a beautiful,
palatable fruit. That shows the childish hunger, that natural instinct of a
vaanaraa to think of a 'fruit', jump for it with its physical mite. But same
hanumaan became wiser and his hunger for knowledge became great and finally
he is remembered for his hunger of the soul - that food called raama kathaa
or raama naamam.

> yathra yathra raghunaathha keerthanam
> thathra thathra krutham hasthaka anjalim
> baashpa vaari pari poorNa lOchanam
> maaruthim namatha raakshaasa anthakam
>
> meaning: where all raama's naama is being sung [or told or spoken], there
maaruthi [the enemy of raakshasaas] [or] who annihilated raakshaasaas,
stands bowing to raamaa with folded hands in anjali mudhra, eyes completely
filled with tears.

> Please recall sukhi evvaro raama naama sukhi evvarO of sri thyaagaraaja
giving answer in krithi geethaarthamu as hanuman is the sukhi - satisfying
his hunger with raama naamam.

> seethaapathi charaNaambujamulu idukonna
> vaathaathmajuniki baaga thelusuraa
>
> seethaapathi - the husband of seethaa
> charaNaambujamulu - the lotus feet
> idukonna - keeping or having
> vaatha aathmajuniki - the son of vaayu or wind god
> baaga thelusuraa - knows very well
>
> meaning: The son of wind god [that vaayu puthran hanumaan] knows very
well, who has the lotus feet of seethaa's husband, the great raamaa in his
mind always.

> Please have the hunger to relish raama and eat that food again in the form
of raama.

> Dhasan
>
> Vasudevan m.g.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links