You are here: SriPedia - RaamaBhakthi - Archives - May 2004

RaamaBhakthi List Archive: Message 00007 May 2004

May 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear srivaishNava perunthagaiyeer,

Continuing the topic of guru dhyaanam, now we take up the comments on
anupallavi. Just to recall, first the anupallavi:

gaanamE kaNNaa kaNNaa enRa
gaanamE hari naamamE
gaanamE kaivalyamE tharum
gathi unakku enRu nidhi enakku inRu
thudhi aruL thandha guru padha malar adigaLin - dhyaanamE

Points or comments: hari naamam - kaNNan enRa gaanam - 'naavinaal uyaa
naankaNdu koNdEn naaraayaNaa ennum naamam' says thirumangai aazhvaar - in his
very first padhigam in periya thirumozhi - in all the 10 verses.

naavinaal uyya means - by continuously uttering or singing, I get release. OVS
also says same - kaNNaa kaNNaa enRa gaanamE kaivalyam tharum - uyya said
aazhvaar - kaivalyam tharum says OVS. Both talk about the detachment and the
end result of release from bondage of this life [piRavi].

"May be at a later date, when my physical strength is down I may not be able to
say your name - so now itself, when I am able to utter your name several times,
I am doing it" says periyaazhvaar - eippu ennai vandhu naliyumpOdhu angu Edhum
naan unnai ninaikka maattEn appOdhaikku ippOdhE sollivaiththEn arangaththu
aravaNaip paLLiyaanE - 4 -10 -1 in his thirumozhi. By this aazhvaar now itself
saves as nidhi- wealth, he insures himself for a later day risk. Like that guru
has said this is your savings or insurance - KrishnagaanamE nidhi unakku - also
the route gathi - road.

OVS says his naama is the route, asylum, and wealth. But nammaazhvaar goes up
to a great extent - uNNum soRu thinnum veRRilai ellaam kaNNan - even thesimple
food what we eat etc is all kaNNan - just any thing and every thingis kaNNan.
Who said it - guru - nam aazhvaar - the dhyaanam on that guru'sfeet is parama
paavanam.

Now charanam 1:
onbadhu vaasalaam kOttai
idharkku uththaman pOttaan raaja baattai
munbu irundhaar seidha avakkEttai pOkki
moovulagam ettumaaRu paadinaan oru paattai - dhyaanamE

See aazhvaar' lines -
oonidaich chuvar vaiththu enbu thooN naatti urOmam vEindhu onbadhu vaasal
thaanudaik kurambai piriyum pOdhu unthan charaNamE charaNam enRu irundhEn
thEnudaik kamalath thiruvinukku arasE thiraikoL maa nedum kadal kidandhaai
naan udaith thavaththaal thiruvadi adainthEn naimisaaraththuL enthaai

-       1 -6 -9 periya thirumozhi of thirumangai aazhvaar

this 'onbadhu vaasal kOttai' - perhaps this idea is taken from aazhvaar -
aazhvaar says it is a hut - OVS says fort - both words only different, meaning
wise same. The 9 holed 'body' housing the soul. That soul only sings kaNNaa,
krishNa, hari, aranga maa nagar uLLaanE, naimisaaraNyaththu endhaai etc.

see below from thoNdar adip podi aazhvaar -

maRanchuvar madhiL eduththu maRumaikkE veRumai pooNdu
puRanchuvar Ottai maadam puraLum pOdhu aRiya maatteer
aRanchuvar aagi ninRa aranganaarkku aat cheyyaadhE
puRanchuvar kOlam seidhu putkouwak kidakkinReerE - 6 thirumaalai

to under stand both verses meaning for few words -
oon - flesh
enbu thooN - elumbuth thooN - bones acting as pillars to support the body
urOmam - hair
kurambai - kudisai - hut
piriyum pOdhu - while dying - while leaving the body
thiruvinukku arasu - lord of thiru - lord of mahaa lakshmi - naaraayaNa - my
Krishna
maRam chuvar - strong wall - well built body
maRumai - next birth
madhil - fort wall
puRam chuvar Ottai maadam - the outer wall having holes or windows [maadam is
window]
puL kouva - the birds come eat the flesh once dead

Instead of building a big strong and stout body, do sing ranganaathan's guNams
says aazhvaar. Other aazhvaar says sing the fame of naimisaaraNyam lord. OVS
says kaNNan - though again words differ it is all mean same - sing mykrishNa.

On this munbu irundhaar seidha avakkEdu - munbu irundhavar - who all - the "I"
ego - the ahankaaram, mamakaaram, kaamam, krOdham etc - were living there in
the heart. They created lot of avakkEdu - lot of damages.

When this supreme guru - uththaman - purusha uththaman - krishNa gave the
geetha - that became the raja baattai - the royal road. Result - sing his name,
which echoes in all three worlds - bhagavadh geetha BG. That is the song OVS
refers.
[BG is known in western world as "the song celestial" translated by Sir Edwin
Arnold].

CharaNam 2: (madhyama kaalam)
anbu kalandhida azhagu thulangidum
aayiram thooNaal aanadu koodam
aadiyum paadiyum hari guNa maNandha
adiyvarkku ena thiRandha kavaadam
indhriyam ennum anju padi Eri
chinthai enum simhaasanam pODum
en aiyyan vandu amaruvaan paarum
iNai yEdhu kooRum guru padha malar adigaLin - dhyaanamE

Keep the heart open to make love. When once that love intensifies on the lord,
naturally the physique gets beauty along with the heart. Then it leads to
singing and mingling with similar minded. The five senses also come under
control. Once that happens, the mind allows the lord to come and get seated.
For this route there is no parallel.

For guru says so - chindhai - simhaasanam - see nammaazhvaar's lines
aavi thigaikka aivar kumaikkum chiRRinbam
paaviyEnaip pala nee kaattip paduppaayO?
thaavi vaiyam koNda thadam thaamarai katkE
koovik koLLum kaalam innum kuRugaadhO - 6-9-9 nam aazhvaar

Since the time has not shortened for getting released from the clutches of the
five senses aazhvaar wants the early release. For that the route is palam undhu
seeril padimin - take that route which will hasten the result. What is that
'seer' - way?

Open your doors and climb the steps chindhai enum simmaasanam pOdum - by
singing hari gunam for OVS. asurarai cheRRaan balam padimin - [for the letterpa
in tamil pa ba are same. Rely on His strength]. See verse

pulan aindhu mEyum poRi aindhu neengi
nalamindham alladhu Or naadu puguveer
alamandhu veeya asuraraich cheRRaan
palamundhu seeril padimin OvaadhE - 2-8- 4 nam aazhvaar in thiruvaaimozhi

Again just consider OVS lines of kavaadam thiRandhu padi Eri chindhai
simmaasanam pOdum to receive the lord. See here-

chindhai maRRonRin thiRaththallaath thanmai dhEva piraan aRiyum
chindhaiyinaal seivadhaanaRiyaadhana maayangaL onRumillai
chindhaiyinaal sollinaal seigaiyaal nilathdhEvar kuzhu vaNangum
chindhai magizh thiruvaaRanviLai uRai theerththanukku aRRa pinnE
- 7-10-10 nammaazhvaar thiruvaai mozhi

In this verse shift the second line down after four, like this - then
chindhai maRRonRin thiRaththallaath thanmai dhEva piraan aRiyum
chindhaiyinaal sollinaal seigaiyaal nilathdhEvar kuzhu vaNangum
chindhai magizh thiruvaaRanviLai uRai theerththanukku aRRa pinnE
chindhaiyinaal seivadhaanaRiyaadhana maayangaL onRumillai

when once the doors of the mind are open to the lord, nothing is secret. The
lord knows even the five senses and their leads. So the five steps are slowly
brought under his control and then the lord leads himself into the heart - so
no more wonders. For that situation iNai Edhu kooRum.[OVS last line].

Thanks to sriman NSR swamin, we could enjoy quite a good krithi in light ofthe
great aazhvaar paasurams. For any wrong link or mistake in interpretation
pardon me. May be that mistake has crept in the eagerness to share thisjoy of
enjoying krishNaa.

Dhaasan

Vasudevan m.g.

PS: Just as an addition with modern day writings. An old cinema song by poet
kaNNadhaasan read like "idhu ottai veedu onbadhu vaasal idharku uLLe aasai
enna?"

The song begins as - idhu maalai nEraththu mayakkam - when she says inviting
him for the first night. He replies "idhu kaala dhEvanin kalakkam" and says the
above line as a 9 holed body. Perhaps some other can give the lines exactly.

Many a sidhdhar paadalgaL - songs - also dole out this theory of treating the
body as a 9 holed fort.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
raamabhakthi-subscribe@yahoogroups.com