You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00034 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

srImathE rAmAnujAya namah

dear bhAgavathAs,

here is the "steady-state" update on the divya dEsam
kainkaryam efforts, as of April 9th.

thiru-nAngUr:

I went there again this sunday, to ensure that things
are proceeding smoothly. Here is the update.

1. For 3 temples (thiru-maNi-k-koodam,thiru-k-
kAvaLambAdi and thiru arimEya viNNagram), we have the
priests/helpers appointed. We have one person in each
temple who will do both the duties. The people are
thiru-k-kAvaLambAdi - srI srInivAsan
thiru arimEya viNNagaram - srI thiruvAli srInivAsan
thiru maNi-k-koodam - srI satIsh nArAyaNan.

srI srInivAsan (both of them) have been doing help
on and off for these temples, but this project
helps them permanantly take responsibility for
the sannadhis to implement the scheme below.

2. The temples will be open from 8-12 in the morning
and from 3:30 - 7:30 in the evening.

3. srI. lakshmaNa bhattar (pAncarAtra expert) is
training people in proper Agama, and did a spot test
in front of me, and it was clear that the priests were

learning the proper Agama. srI lakshmaNa bhattar also
agreed to do periodic certification of the priests for

expertise in basic temple related AgamAs.

4. srI chellANdu svAmi, who resides in nAngUr by
choice and who is a nAlAyiram expert, has agreed to
popularize the nAlAyiram, especially those appropriate

to these temples.

5. with regularity (every saturday, on the monthly
thirunakshattiram etc..), there will be prasAdam made,
local people (ALL people) will be invited, a brief
function to read/recite the AzhvAr pAsurams will be
held, and the prasAdam distributed.

6. A local account/registration will be made of
VEDICS. I will send the registration documents in a
separate mail. The comittee for thirunAngUr
comprises f
(i) srI sampath (trustee of the chidambaram temple,
lawyer and third party managing member of the
committee),
(ii) srI kaNNan (heriditary trustee of these temples),
(iii) srI chellANdu svAmi (thirunAngUr).

7. These arrangements have been happening since
April 1st. We did change a person in the list between
April 1 and now due to local logistical reasons.

8. It is very heartening to see how big of a change
tht such a little thing as this kainkaryam does. It
really has to be seen to be experienced. The change in

the attitude of the people, the happiness of the local
people and *most importantly*, the fact that there is
a source of livelihood doing what these people love
the most (taking care of temples) makes a HUGE
difference. In the narrowest sense, we are all earning

money for our livelihood, and are being critical of
those who are taking care of temples,*without* giving
them their basic right to earn for the wellbeing of
their family. If we make that earning possible, then
they are only too happy to take care of the temple.

AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam,
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
varadhan