You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00112 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha
srImadh varavara munayE namaha

Dear members,

I just happened to read the above thread only today. While Sri
Varadhan has clearly explained the basis of the tradition of word of
mouth, Sri Venkatesan has very clearly come out explaining the aspect
of "belief" in the traditions of the word of mouth.

I would not say, Sri Mani's points are absurd. As Sri Varadhan and
Sri Venkatesan stated, these are just the two sides of the coins.
Once again, we Indians have been very poor in recording our histories
and only a very few did it out of divine order. So we have some of
the scriptures today.

In my opinion, it is purely the individuals belief on which side of
the coin, which makes the argument. One can neither say that
the "disbelief" view is wrong nor say that the "belief" view is wrong
as for both of them there is no scriptural evidence. If one can turn
down the belief that Sri emberumAnAr sannidhi was built by Sri
AnanthAzhwAr, by saying that there is no scriptural evidence, then
the other side, i.e., it was not built by Sri AnanthAzhwAr, can also
be negated with the same argument of no scriptural evidence
availability. These are the part of the "tharka sAstrAs".

But I request one information. What is it that we are going to do by
saying that either Sri AnanthAzhwAr built the sannidhi or not. What
are we trying to achieve here. I am sure the sannidhi of Sri
emberumAnAr is a very very desirable one between all the Sri
Vaishnavas. So why this thread?

On the other hand, I came to know a disturbing hearsay, that, as Sri
emberumAnAr in Thirumalai is not wearing a kAshAya vasthram and also
since he has a vyAkhyA mudhrai, this is actually Swamy dEsikan and
only the thenkalais, later converted this to Sri emberumAnAr. Please
do not say that none of you heard this. This is a very very popular
rumour. Any clues on this? I am sorry to have dragged this argument
into another potential thread. But I did this to let you all know how
the hearsays, can be true and false both to either of the sect or
people. But what I am surprised in this is that the question is on
Sri emberumAnAr's sannidhi, who is undisputedly the greatest AchArya
for both the sects. This is not on a sannidhi of Sri maNavALa
mAmunigaL or Sri dEsikar. So what are we going to gain with this and
what is the clarification one is expecting. I am sure nobody, who is
rational, will say Sri Mani was wrong when he initiated this. While
Sri Mani's view is one possible view, the other view is also another
possibility. I think this has to be left just here.

AzhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia