You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00126 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Sriman Mani,

I fully agree with you that Divya Prabandha - the foremost Srivaishnava
scriputre - needs to be properly chanted. However, I cannot comment further
since i dont know Tamil thought we consider ourselves to be Tamil. I would like
to only add that chanting stotras (which are considered to be given by AchAryas
to expose non-Tamil people to Srivaishnavism), is horrible.

For example, in Madhurakavi Alwar's SirutthAmbu Thaniyan, we normally recite:

avidita vishayAntarah SatArEh (pause)
upanishdAm upagAna mAtra bhOgah

The meaning if chanted like this is - Sri Madhurakavi Alwar is simply
interested in singing upanishats and does not know those other things of
Nammalwar. Do any of us agree with this?

To chant in the true spirit of the meaning, which is - Sri Madhurakavi Alwar
enjoys only singing Sri Nammalwar's Upanishats (in Tamil) and does not know
anything else, we have to say:

avidita vishayAntarah (pause) SatArEh
upanishadAm upagAna mAtra bhOgah

Acctually chanting Divya Prabandha mechanically starts right from the Acharya
thaniyan, where instead of saying "ramya jAmAtaram munim", many say "ramyajA
mAtaram munim" and thus salute mother ramyajA than AchArya mAmunigal! Just
going thru the meanings once in mother tongue will help a lot in correcting
ourselves.

better not to speak of Gadya trayam, stotra ranta etc.

dAsAnudAsan
Vishnu

PS: Kinldy take my suggestions in right spirit. By chanting properly we will be
preserving the great treasure called our PoorvAchAryas' works, in the right
shape.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com