You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00129 Apr 2002

Apr 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear all,

I have problem with some of the conclusions that Sri Mani has come up
with in reply to Sri Varadan's email (the long one).

If we accept that there was none at thirumala with the stature of Sri
Ananthalwar to construct the shrine (given the not so close
relationship between Sri Ramanuja and the Vaikhanas temple
management), then how do resolve the possible theory that the
Ramanujar shrine was moved to the present location at some later data.
If there was no one strong enough to take on the temple management to
preserve the location of the shrive after some renovation, why even
have the shrine inside the temple complex. the temple management could
have moved the shrine anywhere they want.

I do not have any evidence to provide, but understanding the temple
politics, if the shrine was moved from one location to another, there
must have been some inscription to that effect (This is done at other
DDs such as the the Narasimhar temple in Tanjore) In this case, I
would think the management may not have had the compulsion to keep the
shrine inside the temple complex, if it was ever moved from it's
original location.

It is also known that there were constant renovation at the temple
complex between 1130-1219 AD and beyond. It is possible that some the
walls with the inscriptions could have been used for these
renovation(they might have figured, it was economical to re-use the
walls to expand, than bring the raw material from Keezh thiruppathi).

So it is not always reasonable to expect evidence for all traditional
belives. If you have evidence, well and good.

thanks

Adiyen

Venkatesh Elayavilli

Home Page