You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00048 Apr 2003

Apr 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

25. Sarvaha

= One who is every one = sarati gacchati iti = The one who is spread
everywhere, the omni-present.

pASuram : TiruvAimozhi ? 3-2-7 (NammALwAr tiruvaDigaLE SaraNam)

samanvayam : Lord Sriman Narayana has made everyone / everything as His divine
body. He is spread everywhere. In spite of that we are not able to recognize
Him and serve Him.

pASuram :

yennAnru nAm iruntiruntu iranki nenje

O Heart of mine, you keep suffering perennially.

meyn nAnam inri | vinai iyal pirappu azhunti

in endless births of struggle which are bereft of the tatva jnAnam

yenjnAnru mengum Ozhivara niraindu

Who is everywhere and who is the support of everything

meyn nAnacchOti kaNNanai mEvutumE

When will I reach that Krishna who is supremely radiant, being full of
imperishable knowledge.

Detailed Interpretation:

1) O Heart of mine, you keep suffering in endless births which are bereft of
tatva jnAna:

In this world, someone somewhere is always engulfed in pain and suffering. Why?
It could be due to the loss of a dear one or a dear possession or it could be
that they didn?t get their desired objects.
In reality, the one who is the most lovable ? Our Lord Krishna is present at
all times in everyone?s heart. But we are devoid of such knowledge. This body
that we are in as a result of several bhAgavatApachArAs never allows the
generation of such a knowledge nor does it create anyinterest to go in that
direction.

2) That Lord Krishna who lives in everyone / everything without leaving them,
and who is the source of all the tatva jnAnam:

Lord Krishna has filled Himself in everyone / everything. Hewas like that in
the past, is so currently and will continue to be so in the future. And so He
is alluded to as ?sarvaha?.

If our beloved AchArya is coming towards us in a car, we do not say that the
car is approaching us. We say with joy that our AchArya iscoming to grace us.
We give prominence not to the car but to the AchArya inside it.

In the same way, we should cognize the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna inside everyone
/ everything. We shouldn?t limit our vision to the body or the soul that
surrounds that supreme Lord. Seen in that perspective, everything / everyone is
Lord Sri Krishna Himself. Such a jnAnam is called the tatva jnAnam.

3) Will I be able to meet the Supremely radiant Lord, who is full of such
knowledge:

Our Lord continuously strives to create such a jnAnam in us and relieve us of
our grief. For this, He makes Himself totally accessible to us in the form of
our AchAryAs, by making them as His SarIram. Thus He always moves around us
with the urge to impart the correct knowledge. But, we fail totally in
recognizing Him.

Will we be able to at least recognize Him properly if not meet Him in any of
our lives? If that?s the case, when is it that we can ever meet Him? It is
possible?

The answer is ? ?Yes, Its possible?. The following slOkam (chapter 4. SlOkam
42) of Bhagavadh Gita asserts this. It was the 13th SlOkam of the GitA jyOti
SlOkas selected by Our AchArya HH Sri Chinna Jeeyar Swami vaaru.

tasmAd ajnAna sambhUtam hruth sttham jnAnAsinAtmanaha

chhiththvainam samSayam yOgam AtthishTThOthisTTha bhAratha

Because of a lack of association with proper AchAryAs (tasmAt), you have
developed ajnAnam. This ajnAnam has given birth (ajnAna sambhUtam) to a doubt
deep in your heart ? (hruthstham samSayam) ? Whether I will get the blissful
togetherness with my Krishna?

Now, cut (chitvA) that ajnAnam ? with what? ? With the sword of knowledge
graced upon by the AchArya (jnAnAsinA) and get up, rise to serve the Lord who
is in everyone / everything. You definitely have an inclination towards
acquiring such a jnAna. Your name itself suggests that (bhArata).

In this way, Lets serve that Lord ? sarvaha who is in everyone / everything,
who is everything ? And who is our Lord Krishna.

Enough of Lord Krishna and His greatness. We want a Lord who had actually shown
us the way Himself right?Then?

Today is Sri Rama Navami. Lets turn our attention to Our Beloved Rama. That
Lord, who led a life filled with stress and pain, just to show us an ideal
man?s life. A life which lays the path towards acquiring such knowledge and
which itself makes us dear to the almighty. A Lord who is full of only
compassion.

We see lot of heartbreaks due to the loss and seperation from dear ones and the
resulting pain felt by the heart. When our Lord descended to this earth as Sri
Rama, He was separated again and again from His dearest partner ? our beloved
mother, once due to destiny, once to uphold the law of His kingdom. He
expressed His pain as though His heart was being cut with a knife continuously
and was bleeding.

His heart is the Heart. Its fully filled with love and only love. Love for
everyone. Such is Our Lord ? sarvaha ? for whom everything / everyone is His
SarIram. Everyone is His own precious possession. He cannot bear separation
from us. He cannot see the suffering of anyone. Suffering of any person, is to
Him like the pain in some part of His own body.

And if anyone can claim to be so, it is only our Lord Sri Ramachandra. If at
all we wish to be in anyone?s loving embrace, it shouldbe the embrace of our
Rama. His heart is The heart which has felt the painand which understands our
heart fully. When He hugs us close to His heart,surely all our sufferings will
come to an end then and there itself. That love in His heart, which is highly
contagious will find its way to our heart and we will start serving Him with
extreme love. What more knowledge is required?

At the same time, we should pray that one Rama avatAra was enough and the Lord
should not suffer anymore for our sake by taking such incarnations. But the
memory of that Rama should be always there with us and should deliver us of all
the pains and sufferings; The memory of the littleBaby Rama, who has come for
us today and is waiting for us to lift him up and kiss Him. When He was a
little Baby that time, He didn?t know that Hehad to suffer so much through out
His life. He was happily sleeping in Hismother?s lap and playing with His dad.
Lets now see to it that the baby Lord who has come to us today is not subjected
to any such pain again and lets take care of Him fully.

Jai Sriman Narayana