You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00138 Apr 2003

Apr 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:
Dear TCA Venkatesh,
What Sri TCA Srinivasa Ramanujan says is correct according
to SVB 148 and 149. This, of course, is based on my understanding of
SVB.

SVB 148: krpaiyAlE varum pArathanthriyaththiR kAttil, swAthanthryath-
thAlE varum pArathanthryam prabalam.

SVB 149: ivvarththaththai vEdhapuruShan apEkshiththAn.

SVB 148: Although one of Lord's traits is unlimited independence,He
longs to serve His devotees and loves to be ruled by them. His
dependence(pArathanthryam)on devotees,can arise out of two causes
namely,His "compassion" for those who surrender to Him or His own
free will(swAthanthryam),whereby He showers His unconditional grace
on the subjects of His choice,whether "deserving or not". According
to Sri PiLLai lOkAcAryAr,the latter is superior to the former.
Because when "swAthanthryam" predominates the former "krpa" can get
nullified! The Lord's dependence of the second variety(stems from
swAthanthryam) however,goes on uniterruptedly with no counteracting
influence.

SVB 149: This is said in MuNdakOpaniShad and kaTOpaniShad: The
paramAtmA is not attainable by the AtmA(individual soul) through
mere meditation and deep learning;on the other hand He reveals
Himself,in all His splendour,to the subjects of His choice. Did not
SriRama court,on His own,guha without caring about the latter's
solicitude?

> It also appears that while He is independent in
> general, He listens to Thayar in allowing His
> grace to flow and give salvation to those whom She
> recommends. Being this the case, our conduct should
> be such that Thayar will plead to Him on our behalf.

With respect to conduct I doubt your statements. Why? KAkAsuran/
Jayantha,gave physical pain to thAyAr,and when PerumAL used
brahmAsthram,kAkAsuran went to everybody and finally got tired(I
don't think kAkAsuran did prapatti!)of flying and fell,that too
wrongly. KAkAsuran's head was facing thAyAr and feet was facing
PerumAL. She,as the "daya" aspect of perumAL,considering that "fall
as prapatti", changes the direction of kAkAsuran thereby telling
Him,that the subject has surrendered to Him and this is the best time
for the Lord to show His kalyANa guNAs. In both the variety of
dependence there is a mediation of Sri but our conduct does not play
any role here. Conduct in thAyAr's and PerumAL's defn is different
from that of ours. This is my understanding and please correct if I'm
wrong.

> In either case, it appears that one cannot simply
> sit around and do nothing saying that there is
> nothing to do.

??? SVB 80.81.82 talks about Sita/pirAtti,draupadi and thirukkaNNa-
mangai ANdAn.

SVB 82: pirAtti svasakthiyai vittAL;dhraupadhi lajjaiyai vittAL;
thirukkaNNamangai ANdAn svavyApAraththai vittAn.

ThirukkaNNamangai ANdAn gave up all his personal activities,reduced
himself to the abject position of the dog crouching in a kennel. This
was after thirukkaNNamangai ANdAn witnessed the dog owner(a frail
human being) giving up his own life for the sake of his pet dog and
thirukkaNNamangai ANdAn realised how much the omni-potent Lord would
do to save the jIvAtmA. He placed himslf in the position of the
dog,and substituted the omni-potent Lord for the owner of the
dog.

AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com