You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Apr 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00052 Apr 2005

Apr 2005 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrE maNavALa mamunikaL's wonderful vyAkyAnam

AzhiyAl anRangu Azhiyai mARaithAn

Lord krshnA covered the sun with Sri SudharsanAzhwAn. Agreed that the sun has been covered. What happens however is, the greter brilliance and sparkle of sudharsanAzhwAn must have appeared up above the sky -world so high? How did then, one and all felt that the  darkness has engulfed and perceived that dusk  has set in, as a precursor to the ensuing nocturnal period?  In fact, it should have been  brighter and a pronounced daylight. This question is asked by the commentator and answered thus.

" The sun's power is such that, it is bright to the extent that it removes the darkness and at the same time visible to the eyes. The brilliance and the brightness of sudharsanAzhwAn is several times more than that of the sun to the extent that the brightness cannot be endured by the open eyes. The appearance of sudharsanAzhwAn thus made all the eyes close, resulting in darkness"
The pAsuram

"nAzhigai kURittu kAthu ninRa arasargaL tham mugappEa, nAzhigai pOga padai porudhavan dhevaki than siRuvan,
Azhi koNdu anRu iravi maRaippa sayathiradhan thalaiyai pAzhil vuruLa porudhavan pakkam kaNdAr vuLar" PeriyAzhwAr thirumozhi 4-1-8;

The text of the vyAkyAnam
'niravadhika thEjO rUpamAna  thiruvAzhiyAlEa AdhithyAnai maRaithAl lOgathukku migavum vELichiRappu vuNDam ithanai anRoA?
"Adhithyan asthamithAn" ennumpadi kaNgaLukku iruNdu thORRumA ennil; indha Adithyanudaiya thEjassu kaNNAlEa mugakkalAm padi aLavu pattiRukkaiyAlEa thamassu pOm padiyAi irukkum.
angan anRikkEa,  thiruvAzhiyAzhwAnudaiya thEjassu nEar kodu nEar  kaN koNdu pArka voNNAdha padi mikkirukkaiyAlEa  paLa paLathu kaNNai iruLap paNNiRRu.  'idhu thAn AzhiyAl anRangu Azhiyai maRaithAn' engiRa idathilEa pUrvargaL aruLich sedihArgaL iREa."

One of the greatness of the commentator is to bring forth the logic over and above explaining the pAsuram and this is another pAsuram which reiterates the vyAkyAnic prowess of periya jEyar.

periya jEyar thirvadigaLE charaNam.

rAmAnuja dAsan
vanamamalai padmanabhan