You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Aug 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00091 Aug 2002

SRIMATHE RAMANUJAYA NAMAHA
APPAN THIRUVADIGALE SARANAM.

Dear Baghavathas, Accept my pranam. A posting in 4 parats ia presented. Adiyen
hope you may enjoy it.

Freewill of ?Kulapathi?E (1)

.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------?Kulapathi?E
 That is the name given to ?Nammazhvar ?Eby our AAlvandhar.
He has devoted 2 slokas in praise of Nammazhvar in his ?Stotra Ratna?and has
paid his respects to him
?Will of Nammazhvar?Eor ?mind of Nammazhvar?EThat is ?Acharya Hrudhyam?Ewritten
by Azhakia Manavala Perumal Nayanar brother of Pillai Lokacharyar.
We will enjoy that in this essay.

Indian philosophical thoughts (vedic thoughts) deals vividly on
?self?EJeevan),Brahman(the creator ,the lord of the universe) and the relation
between the two .
The self(Jeevan) as compared to Emperuman, the INFINITY is insignificant. Yet,
the jeevan belongs to Emperuman and he should get it realesed from samsara. The
aim of the Leela of Emperuman is that only..
An insignificant ?I?Etries to attain Him by his efforts and expects recognition
for that also. The Ego, ?I?E Mine?Eare said to be obstacles in the path of
realization.

Modern education and western thoughts revolves round the worldly objects. They
give importance to the Self (I). In such an atmosphere it is quite natural to
feel that importance of ?self?Eshould not be denied. Some of theIndian schools
of thought also desire to recognize or acknowledge the importance of
?Self?EThat is the basic cause for the confusion over ?freewill.?E

. Freewill

Some of our srivaishanavite friends get confused over ?Free will and
predetermination?EThey engage themselves over long discussions.
The question troubling the mind is ?EIs everything is predetermined??EYES. In
this present day scientific world we understand better that we inherit bodies
given by our parents. This is determined.
Those who believe in ?soul?E a driving force of the body understand that the
soul is eternal and it changes the bodies only. It gains various experiences
from various bodies. Such bodies are obtained by the actions and reactions
caused by the will or ?free will?to enjoy or endure the resultsof our past
actions.
Then the question is?Ehow do we exercise the free will?E Any will creates and
deepens the desire and results in action that determines the further life;

What is ?Free will?E
We want to act, as we like;
Good That is exactly why we are here in samsara. Our first free will exercised
in favour of material things has landed us in samsara. As the result of further
such action and subsequent reactions arising out of results of such actions
(karmas) long chain of events: We are now here as?WE?E
Now we want to do some thing. That is to exercise another free will.
What is the aim?

Material aspirations or Moksha?

Material aspirations
The starting point is desire and your mind to do it. You expect a result also
(Let us forget the famous Gita sloka directing us to do the duty and to forget
about the results for the present) O.K. You are free to do it. Do itin
appropriate time prudently with complete knowledge, on it, resources and effort
etc., Wish you best of Luck. Enjoy /endure the results. You have decided to
continue in Samsara forever. May God bless you.

Bhagavat Gita Chapters 2, 3&4 deals with Karma yoga. A study of these chapters
will be helpful to clear the doubts..

Karma yoga for getting material benefits has been mentioned above.
Karma yoga for?Moksha?EThere are various acts such as penance, visitingof holy
places, giving alms, charitable activities etc.,by observing thesewith three
kind of sacrifices, i.e.,
1. The ego ?I do this ?Eshould be avoided.
2. The desire that ?I do this for this purpose?Eshould be avoided
3. The attachment over this act should be avoided
If the acts are done with the intention of realizing Emperuman, the knowledge
gets developed towards gnana yoga and ultimately to Bhakti yoga. and in the end
to Moksha. .
Moksha:
You are aiming at Moksha.
Release from samsara.
You are at one end and
Emperuman who is the proper person to grant moksha is at the other end.
Emperuman should be prepared to concede to your request. There are sastras
prescribing various difficult and lengthy ways such as Karma/gnana/Bhakti yogas
When the result will be achieved; no body can say precisely about it.
Another way shown by Our Poorvacharyas of Emperumanar Dharsanam ?E?Prapathi?Eis
open to you.
What are required are Absolute faith on Emperuman and the Acharya.
Be honest and sincere.
Lead an honest life.
Emperuman will look after you and will shower His grace on you.
He will do so on whom he decides to do so.
That is how it has happened to our ?NAMMAZHVAR?EKulapathi of Srivaishnava
family.
He showered flawless knowledge on him?MAYARVARA MATHI NALAM ARULINAN?ETVM
1.1.1.)
He looked after him till the end

To be continued >>2

Home Page