You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Aug 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00002 Aug 2003

Sri Parthasarathi thunai

Srimathe rAmAnujaya Namaha

Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Dear bhagavatas,

On this auspicious day of thiruvAdi pooram, the birth star of soodikkoduththa
nAchiyAr (one who adorned and presented flower garland), anju kudikkoru
sandhadhi (daughter to all the 10 alwars) godha piratti Sri Andal adiyen wishes
to express some of my deep anubhavams infront of this great group of
bhagavatas. This writeup has to be regarded as one another anubhavam granted by
the divine couples and shouldn?t be considered to be anything against our
poorvacharyas vyakhyanams. Hope the bhagavatas of this group will take it in
the right spirit.

Abhimanam (favourite) is a term near and dear to our sampradayam. Each oneof us
has a special abhimanam towards a specific
divyadesam/perumal/thayar/azhvar/acharya. As you all already know adiyen
reserves my very special abhimanam towards Parthasarathi and his divya desam,
thiruvallikeni. So adiyen?s writeup on this very special day is going to be
about the very special serthi (dual) Sri Parthasarathi and Andal.

Andal is special in our sampradayam as she holds the place of both an azhvar
and nachiyar (thayar). She is the only female azhvar and her deep emotional
outpourings towards the lord in both her thiruppavai and nachiyar thirumozhi
cannot be explained by words. Though thiruppavai is a very small prabhandam
with only 30 verses still the amount of deep essence it holds is enormous. So
many marghazhi months have passed and so many thiruppavai upanyasams but still
thiruppavai ever lives young in all our minds. In all the temples we find andal
in a separate sannadhi. Both Adi and marghazhi months are special for andal. In
Adi, the 10-day festival of thiruvadi pooram is celebrated in almost all the
divyadesams and the grand finale will be theAdi poora thirukalyanotsavam.

But in all other divyadesams, except srivilliputtur and thiruvallikeni
emperumans celebrates thirukalyanotsavam with another thayar on the panguni
uthram day also. Srivilliputtur is the birthplace of goda piratti. In
thiruvallikeni geethacharyan, Krishnan Sri Parthasarathi reserves the post of
his consort only for andal and hence doesn?t undergo kalyanotsavam with
anyother thayar. Here the panguni uthra kalyanam is between ennai Aludaiyappan
(ranganathan) and vedavalli thayar. Sri Parthasarathi celebrates wedding with
andal on two auspicious days thiruvadipooram and bhogi kalyanam. After both the
kalyanotsavams andal stays in her beloved Parthasarathi sannadhi for a full
month till the next pooram.

Andal in her thiruppavai undergoes nombhu only for the Ayan, Sri Krishnan. In
nachiyar thirumozhi she says, ?venkatavarkku ennai vidhikitriyE? and
?AyanukkAga nan kanda kana?. From the stala puram of thiruvallikeni it is very
clear that only the emperuman who stands in thiruvenkatam appeared as Sri
Krishnan (Parthasarathi) to satisfy the wishes of his bhaktha, sumathi
maharajan. So Parthasarathi in thiruvallikeni is both an ayan and also
venkatavan.

Let us dive a little deeper in to this ocean of anubhavam. In her seventh
decade of nachiyar thirumozhi andal envies the conch in the hand of emperuman
?karpuram narumO? Kamalappoo nArumO?.. sollAzhi veNsangE?. In various
divyadesams emperuman holds various weapons in his hands. But sanghu and
chakram are the usual trademark for any perumal. But generally we
findchakrathazhvar being given greater preference than the conch. We find so
many sannadhis for chakrathAzhvar and bhakthas flooding those sannadhi?s to
fulfil their wishes. Chakrasnanam (theerthavari) on the last day of
thebrahmotsavam is a usual procedure in all the diyva desam, where
chakrathAzhvan is regarded as a representative of emperuman himself. But andal
doesn?t envy the chakram but instead she envies the sanghu in perumal?s hand.
Why? Venkatakrishnan (moolavar) in thiruvallikeni has only a sanghu in his
right hand. He gives darshan with only two hands one holding the sanghu and the
other with varada or
vaikunda hastham (like indicating ?mAM Akam charanam vraja?).

Andal says ?pathinArAyiram devi mAr parthiruppa? , the conch has taken the
special place in the hands of Parthasarathi when all the 16,108 consorts of
Krishnan looks with envying eyes. Even when he left the devis and went for the
war he didn?t forget to take the conch. Again not only the devis but all the
other weapons also gives a sad look as even when Krishna promised to leave all
his weapons and come unarmed to the battlefield he stillheld the conch alone in
his hand. Andal in her paasurams shows her birth as a Brahmin girl by saying,
oh! sangE, how come you have gone to the handsof emperuman when you haven?t
even taken a bath(Acharyam) and how dare you go and have the bath in the mouths
of emperuman itself.

Further, andal in her second paasuram says, ?kudiyEri theeya asurar nadalai
pada muzhangum?. When did the sound of the conch (panchajanyam) shrill the
hearts of the enemy? Yes. It was during the bharatha yuddham (war).
Geethacharyan, Sri Parthasarathi held only the conch in his hand and
charioteered the chariot of arjuna. In those days the start of the war was
indicated by the sound of the conch in the hands of the main warriors. In
bhagavat geetha, the first chapter greatly describes the warriors and the
different conches in their hands. ?panchajanyam hrisheekesham devadaththam
dhananjaya:? and so on. The gauravas lost the war on just hearing the sanga
nAdham, which Sri Krishna made, says our acharyas. That is what andal reflects
here. The conch settled in the hands of emperuman Sri Parthasarathiand it
sounded in such a manner that the gauravas (theeya asurar) got defeated.

Andal enjoys the beauty of Sri Krishnan as ?kananennum karun deivam? and in the
grand finale she says her ultimate wish in ?pattemeithathOr kArEru
baladevarkkOr keezhkandrAi?. Where can we enjoy this karun deivam? Come to
thiruvallikeni and enjoy the thirumugam of Parthasarathi (utsavar).The
thirumugam is black in colour and with ultimate beauty. Karum can refer to both
the black colour and karunyam(grace). Dark clouds shower more rain. So when
andal says karun deivam it can also mean the lord who has somuch grace.
Parthasarathi?s thirumugam is not only black in colour but even today holds the
wounds of the arrows of bheeshma which he bore in his thirumugam to save his
bhaktha arjuna from getting hurt. He didn?t mind getting hurt to save his
bhaktha. Does his grace and bhakthavatsalyam need any other proof? Andal in
thiruppavai says ?uththaman? where the vyakhyanam reads that uththaman is one
who works for the welfare of the othersat the cost of himself. Doesn?t this
name hold good for our dear Parthasarathi who has wounded himself to save his
bhaktha?

Last but not the least, andal says ?ettamana pasukkalai enidhu mariththu
neerooti? the fact that Krishnan is gopalan and loves cows still stays and that
is why in thiruvallikeni we find so many cows on the streets and Parthasarathi
still takes care of his beloved cows. One specific instance comes to adiyen?s
mind while talking about the cows. One day Parthasarathi was undergoing
purappadu. He halted in davanautsava bungalow and then again started from
there. Ghosthi thodakkam was going on when two cows fighting among each other
came running towards Parthasarathi. The cows were rightin front of emperuman on
one side was the arulicheyal ghosti and on the other the crowd of bhakthas.
Finding no place to escape the cows ran towardsParthasarathi. The sreepadham
thangis didn?t get scared but instead they lifted emperuman a little higher and
to all our surprise the cows become very soft and silently went under the
kedayam (seat of emperuman during thepurappadu) of emperuman to the
other side. It was really amazing. Doesn?t this show that even fighting cows
will become soft in the sannadhi of gopalan and how did it learn to go
underneath without hurting or disturbing anyone? Amidst all these confusions
the arulicheyal ghosthi continued smoothly as cows are not new to
thiruvallikeni and they knew very well that the gopalan would take care of
them. That is how thiruvallikeni still remains a gokulam under the leadershipof
Parthasarathi emperuman.

On top of all these andal completes by saying, ?vittukondu vilaiyAda
vrindhAvanaththE kandOmE?. Did you all know that the original name of
thiruvallikeni as per the puranas is ?Brindaranya kshetram? and that is
whereandal found kannan atlast and now on this auspicious day she celebrates
her wedding with Parthasarathi in thiruvallikeni. Let us all enjoy the divine
serthi of the divine couples Sri Andal samEtha Sri Parthasarathi in all our
minds wherever we are on this divine day.

Once again adiyen requests the bhagavatas of this group to enjoy the writeup as
one of adiyen?s anubhavams.

?Brindaranya nivAsAya balarAmAnujAyacha

rukmini prAnanAdhAya parthasoodhAya mangalam?

?Srimathyai Vishnu chitArya mano nandhana hEthavE

nandhanandhana sundaryai gOdhAyai nithya mangalam?

Azhvar EmperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharanam

Adiyen rAmAnuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan