You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Aug 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00095 Aug 2004

Dear Sriman,

I will try to answer with my little knowledge.

1. Firstly I think the word "idol" is not suitable word to refer Archa Murthys.
This word was used by westerners to denigrate religious groups other than
theirs. The correct word would be "icon".

2. If we need to elevate ourselves towards God Realization, there are various
methods like Bhakti, Karma, Jnana, Yoga etc.. But to take up a particular
method, we first need to understand the concept of God. Then, we need to focus
our attention on the God. With the exception of few, I think most of us need an
aid to start with to which we can focus on. The icon serves that purpose.

3. Also, we just don't start worshipping icons. We first do "Pratishtapanam" by
reciting mantras to invoke a particular aspect of God. This way, we can
visualize God better than without the Archa Murthy.

I hope this will help.

Thanks & Regards
Mohan Ramanujadasan