You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Aug 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00108 Aug 2004

Dear Sri Vishnu,

It is true that ahankAram in general, has to be given up. But the concept of
sAtvika ahankAram is totally different. For instance, we have 'aham' in "aham
brahmOsmi (sOham)" and in "dAsOham" there is a wide difference between the two.

//When you are
attributing something to PerumAL's krpA, that cannot be termed
ahankAram.//

Anything we achieve is due to bhagavat krupai. But the realisation obtained by
the Srivaishnavas (again due to his nirheduka krupai only) gives them a pride
of being a Srivaishnava close to emperuman's heart. We have to cherish the
relationship with the lord else even the lord will get bored with his leelas.
So infront of Non-Srivaishnavas we have to lift our heads and be proud to be a
SriVaishnava.

//The very purpose of the concept of nirhEtuka krpA is to root out any
trace of ahankAram from the heart of the devotee as said in "nIr
numadhennivai... " pASuram (ThiruvAimozhi 1.2.3).//

"Neer numadhu endrivai vErmudal mAiththu" is a beautiful paasuram that
indicates that our ahankAram and mamakaram has to be shed in case of lowkika
affairs. It has no connection with bhagavan or bhagavat vishayam. Else we will
not call periya perumal as 'Nam-perumal', Azhvar as 'Nam- Azhvar', 'Nam-Jeeyer'
and 'Nam-pillai'. Don't we all cherish calling nam swamy udaiyavar as
"em-perumAnAr". Why have our poorvacharyas preferred these thirunAmams?
Madurakavi azhvar says, "ten kurugoor nambi endrakkAl annikkum amudoorum en
nAvukkE" Madurakavi azhvar doesnt just say nAvukkE instead he says en nAvukkE
Why because he feels proud to possess such a tongue which cherishes reciting
thiruvaimozhi. Though azhvars and acharyas do not claim that they have done
anything great or they are superior they do possess the pride of being a
Srivaishnavite being close to emperuman and his devotees. That pride is only
termed as "sAtvika ahankAram". This will never affect anyone. When it comes to
other Srivaishnavas they show their nAichyam/humility but in front of
non-Srivaishnavas they never bow their heads ("marandhum puram thozhA mAndhar")

The pride does not lie in Azhvar being able to visualise emperuman since that
has been possible only due to his unconditional grace but surely there is a
pride in being choosen by emperuman to bless him with his divine darshan. If
even then one remains like a stone or wood then it means that he hasn't
understood the greatness of what he has achieved.

When embar says, "ethirAjar vadivazhaghu en edhayaththuladAl ellai enakkedir
ellai ennakedir ellai ennakedirE!" He shows his pride of possessing swamy
emperumAnAr inside his heart. EMperumAnAr has all the divya desa emperumAns
inside his heart. Let us get to our memory the words of
thiruvarangaththamudhanar at this point, "eruppidam vaikundam vEnkadam
mAlirunchOlai ennum poruppidam mAyanukkenbar nallOr avaithannodum vandiruppidam
mAyan erAmAnusan manaththu endravan vandhiruppidam endhan edhayaththullE
thanakkinbhuravE" Again the same amudhanAr says, "ennaruvinaiyin tiram
seRRiravum pagalum vidAdhu enthan sindhaiyullE niraindhopparavirundhAn
'enakkArum nigarillaiyE' what does amudhanar show by saying no one is equal to
me? This is only called as sAtvika ahankaram in our sampradayam. The pride has
not arised due to any of amudhanAr's greatness but it has arised due to the
existance of swamy emperumAnAr inside his mind always. So this pride is
harmless and welcomed by Srivaishnavas.

Being filled with sAtvika ahankAram will never shatter our humbleness. Only a
true Srivaishnava who knows the greatness of bhagavan and bhagavatas will be
proud to be one among the Srivaishnava community. So he will be atmost humble
to all bhagavatas and will never dare to do a bhagavat/bhAgavata apacharam.
Only when one feels esteemed to be a Srivaishnava will he try to get all others
struggling in this world of samsAram to this fold.

While doing a kainkaryam we should not think that we are doing it or it is for
our pleasure. But we should realise that the kainkaryam has been blessed to us
by the supreme lord though we are not eligible for the same ("porulallAdha
ennai porulAkki adimai kondAi"). A Srivaishnava cherishes doing more and more
of kainkaryams to the lord and bhAgavatas. The very thought of he being a
Srivaishnava instigates him to do more and more of Kainkaryam. Since the pride
of Srivaishnava lies in doing kainkaryam and making the lord and the bhagavatas
happy.

A true Srivaishnava, considers all the jeevatmas to be part of emperuman and
hence if he sees anyone (even an animal) in sorrow he feels for them and tries
to help them in some manner. A Srivaishnavite never enjoys emperuman and
bhagavat vishayam in solace but cherishes enjoying along with everyone
"koodiyirundhu kulirindhElOr" All these feelings arise in him only because he
has the feeling of being a Srivaishnavite. Thirumazhisai azhvar declares,
"tErunkAl dEvan oruvanE endruraippar Arum ariyAr avan perumai" that no one
knows the greatness of emperuman like azhvar does but does this pride in azhvar
stop him from reaching common folks like us through his sweet paasurams? Does
this sAtvikka ahankaram in any way stop azhvar from doing his kainkaryam to
bhagavan and bhagavatas?

As you have said humility is different from inferiority complex and similarly
there is a lot of difference between sAtvikka ahankaram and superiority complex
(or common ego and pride)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam
Adiyen ramanuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan