You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Aug 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00133 Aug 2004

Peep into Periya-Thiru-mozhi

People often ask me why I relish periya-thiru-mozhi ghOshti/sEvai in a special
manner. Even very learned devotees think that Periya-thiru-mozhi is a vast
expanse of description of the natural resources of dhivya-dhEsam. As recently
as last month, one of the srEvaishNavites questioned me why I chose to attend
particularly periya-thiru-mozhi in the "Eka dhina nAlAyira" ghOshti. In fact,
the reason was the timing suited me well. Nothing more and nothing less. The
question hiowever was why thiru-mozhi in particular.

While nobody doubts the greatness of kaliyan in his poetic profess and there is
no second opinion in his great srEvaishNavic faith, due to extensive coverage
of dhivya-dhEsam-s perhaps, a misleading thought is prevalent that thiru-mozhi
by and large touches the dhivya-dhEsam aspect alone, especially the third and
fourth line of the pAsuram.

Can anybody deny that? After all, thiurmangai mannan sunk himself fully-not
just knee deep into dhivya-dhEsa anubhavam . Hence, one cannot refute this
fact. Nevertheless, the secrets embedded in these anubhavam-s, the philosophies
conveyed in these verses, the deep poetic quality prevalent, the great
narration, the correlation of the nature with the Lord is the aspects that need
to be underlined.

Shall we try to do so?

rAmAnuja dAsan
vanamamalai padmanabhan