You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Dec 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00011 Dec 2002

Dec 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Priya Bhatawatas,
Our Acharyas say that some Tamasic/Rajasic foods when prescribed by
doctors specifically to cure certain ailments may be taken TILL IT IS
CURED, if it comes to survival issue as 'Atmahatya mahapaathakam'. .
That means such Tamasic/Rajasic foods probably are required for patients
but not for healthy people. Still, such ailments are nothing compared
to the biggest ailment called samsaric disease. Thus if a patient has
a big heart problem and if some food is advised to cure a small ailment
like cold/cough which may not be good for heart; then it is better for
the patient to suffer from lighter pain than endanger his heart/life.
Similarly some Tamasic/Rajasic foods even though are medicines for
certain problems, they endanger us by preventing us from leading a
life of a Mumukshu ( who eats to live and not viceversa).

Thus a sincere Mumukshu will never argue over prohibited foods, but
still probes for any other foods/intakes that are still preventing him
from leading a Mumukshu life with non stop attachment to Tiruvadi of
Acharya/Emberumanar/Azhwar/Srimannarayana

Jai Srimannarayana

Sarvaaparaadhamulatow

Dr. Kilambi Ramakrishna Ramanuja Dasan

> From: Vkr4@xxxx
> Date: Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:56am
> Subject: Re: Vegetarian food
>
> > Dr.Kilambi Ramakrishna Ramanuja Dasan wrote
> > that foods like onions, garlic, drumstick, gongur,
> > old food, etc. promote tamas and rajas.
>
> How do you reconcile this with findings that garlic has curative
> properties? Hitler, a vegetarian, was a proponent of his superiority
> and was willing to treat all colored people as inferior, and as such
> needs to be eliminated.
>
> Regards.
> V K ranganathan

Home Page